Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

Reclzz

macrumors member
Apr 8, 2014
No. Please read the first post of the thread, the requirements are clearly explained there.

Once you have 144.0.0.0.0 BootROM installed, the requirement is just a High Sierra METAL supported GPU. If High Sierra supports the GPU natively, Mojave installer will work fine except for NVIDIA Kepler GPUs (also explained on the first post and the workaround needed for clean installs).

AMD Polaris/Ellesmere GPUs are fully supported by Mojave installer, unless you have a fake or a Chinese market version.

Just to make crystal clear, doing the “diskutil zeroDisk” will write zero on my disk, what will happen if I let it run fully done?

The PRAM / NVRAM reset procedure is “Command + Option/Alt + P + R” right?

And I need to let it cycle 4 times minimum (is 5 cycles okay if I miss count?)

I’m really sorry I’m being this annoying, I have Aspergers and I just want all the information I feel I need to be able to handle this install without reaorting to external drive docks to fix this.

tsialex

Contributor
Original poster
Jun 13, 2016
Just to make crystal clear, doing the “diskutil zeroDisk” will write zero on my disk,
Yes.
what will happen if I let it run fully done?
Write zeros all over it, not a good idea for a SSD.
The PRAM / NVRAM reset procedure is “Command + Option/Alt + P + R” right?
Yes, you shouldn't ask this type of thing, Google is your friend.
And I need to let it cycle 4 times minimum
Deep NVRAM reset requires 4 consecutive resets.
(is 5 cycles okay if I miss count?)
Yes.
I’m really sorry I’m being this annoying, I have Aspergers and I just want all the information I feel I need to be able to handle this install without reaorting to external drive docks to fix this.
Look, most of the possible questions related to this topic were answered multiple times in the past. Learn to use the search and you will see that the absolute majority of your doubts are answered long ago.

Reclzz

macrumors member
Apr 8, 2014
[mention]tsialex [/mention] ty for everything, finally had to use my sister windows pc to format my ssd, but now I have 10.14.6 Mojave.

Bluedragon436

macrumors newbie
Jul 18, 2020
I'm so glad my rebuild/upgrade on my 2010 5,1 went smooth... went from single processor, to dual 3.46 processor, 32GB Ram and RX580 (that's been hacked, so it works great on startup)... I'm glad that it all went smoothly and was able to install Mojave utilizing these instructions...

Reactions: ZombiePhysicist

JedNZ

macrumors 6502a
Dec 6, 2015
Deep South
Hopefully not too far off topic, but I’m thinking about moving my Mojave SSD drive to a NVMe blade. Should I boot into my Catalina or BigSur drives and format the blade as APFS from there in order to get the most recent version of APFS, or just format it while in Mojave before copying it all across using CCC?

Would Mojave even run with the latest version of APFS that Catalina or BigSur use?

tsialex

Contributor
Original poster
Jun 13, 2016
Hopefully not too far off topic, but I’m thinking about moving my Mojave SSD drive to a NVMe blade. Should I boot into my Catalina or BigSur drives and format the blade as APFS from there in order to get the most recent version of APFS, or just format it while in Mojave before copying it all across using CCC?

Would Mojave even run with the latest version of APFS that Catalina or BigSur use?
Nope, Mojave can't even open a Big Sur APFS disk.

Reactions: JedNZ

Farravi

macrumors regular
Oct 9, 2019
London
I have unwittingly locked myself out of my Mac after the last update. I allows the system software update without paying attention to what was updating.

I was using Catalina and Sapphire Radeon vega pulse 56 graphic card as it was on the list of metal support.

I have a ultra wide 34” monitor connected via HDMI or I can use DVI ports to connect to the desktop.

I don’t have a spare standard 19” monitor which I think is the only option I am aware of fixing this issue.

tsialex

Contributor
Original poster
Jun 13, 2016
I have unwittingly locked myself out of my Mac after the last update. I allows the system software update without paying attention to what was updating.

I was using Catalina and Sapphire Radeon vega pulse 56 graphic card as it was on the list of metal support.

I have a ultra wide 34” monitor connected via HDMI or I can use DVI ports to connect to the desktop.

I don’t have a spare standard 19” monitor which I think is the only option I am aware of fixing this issue.
Wrong thread, no? I’m failing to see what your problem with a Catalina software update that went wrong have anything related with a Mojave BootROM upgrade thread? Look for help on the Catalina forum.

Reactions: Farravi

iAlexandre

macrumors member
Apr 27, 2016
Montréal
Hi @tsialex , thank you very much for all your help and knowledge. I really don't want to brick my Flashed Mac Pro.

You mentioned these flashed Mac Pro's are prone to bricking. You also mentioned installing Windows 10 is risky.

Would there be a way to install Windows 7 (that I have copies of and they work) with the old GT120 (I'm still running High Sierra). Windows 7 had drivers for the GT120.

When and if everything is running I would take a look at the 3rd party boot options that are available when I upgrade to Moyave.

I know you said I'm playing with fire. Just thinking of all possible options...

Thanks!

RRRicho

macrumors newbie
Oct 13, 2021
Australia
Hi folks, I upgraded to a Nvidea GTX 770 2GB PCI-E Video Card GTX 680 HD 7950 Mac Metal on my mid 2010 Mac Pro 6 core 3.33 a cpl months back so I can upgrade Sierra to Mojave. I have 2 1TB hard drives so 2 trays empty. I only use one of my hard drives and would like that to stay using Sierra so I can access Logic Pro 9 from six or so years ago. This is why I didn't upgrade to Hi Sierra, I would've lost the ability to open Logic Pro 9. I have some projects on there I don't want to lose. Is it possible to upgrade the os to Mojave on one hard drive, the unused one, and leave Sierra on the other?

Last edited:

tsialex

Contributor
Original poster
Jun 13, 2016
Is it possible to upgrade the os to Mojave on one hard drive, the unused one, and leave Sierra on the other?
Yes, no problem, but like is written on the first post of the thread, you will need to start from High Sierra - you probably have a pre-High Sierra Mac Pro firmware right now - and you need to start the Mojave upgrade from MP51.0089.B00.

RRRicho

macrumors newbie
Oct 13, 2021
Australia
Ok thanks for being here! I'm trying to get the unused hd to boot up but it wont. It says it's Sierra 10.12.4.... So I've just done an erase on it and downloading a fresh Sierra from the app store. Oh and unused is now called Adobe! MP51.007F.B03 atm

tsialex

Contributor
Original poster
Jun 13, 2016
I'm trying to get a bootable os onto the spare hd, Sierra installer says its damaged...not sure where to go next
Did you tried changing the year to 2017?

If you got the installer with the expired certificates you need to backdate your MacPro clock before trying to run the Sierra installer since the certificates expired 24 October 2019. The usual answer is that the installer is damaged, since the signing certificate is invalid/expired.

RRRicho

macrumors newbie
Oct 13, 2021
Australia
Fingers crossed I will be able to boot from it, all seems ok... then I have the hi sierra installer but tell me, will I have to change the date?

RRRicho

macrumors newbie
Oct 13, 2021
Australia
I'm now MP510084.B00 How do I increase the 84 to 89?
Hi Sierra running nicely whew... and I just booted up the old hd and launched Logic 9, 10+ yr old recording software and no worries! Success!!

And the software I needed, Adobe premiere pro, well it works great on High Sierra in an older edition. But I best get the latest version of Adobe, I need Mojave.

So I need to know how can I get the install for Mojave?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.