Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

sfalatko

macrumors 6502a
Sep 24, 2016
I'm now MP510084.B00 How do I increase the 84 to 89?
Hi Sierra running nicely whew... and I just booted up the old hd and launched Logic 9, 10+ yr old recording software and no worries! Success!!

And the software I needed, Adobe premiere pro, well it works great on High Sierra in an older edition. But I best get the latest version of Adobe, I need Mojave.

So I need to know how can I get the install for Mojave?
Have you carefully read the 1st post in this thread - all the information and directions are there.

tsialex

Contributor
Original poster
Jun 13, 2016
I'm now MP510084.B00 How do I increase the 84 to 89?
Hi Sierra running nicely whew... and I just booted up the old hd and launched Logic 9, 10+ yr old recording software and no worries! Success!!

And the software I needed, Adobe premiere pro, well it works great on High Sierra in an older edition. But I best get the latest version of Adobe, I need Mojave.

So I need to know how can I get the install for Mojave?
Did you read the first post? ;)

RRRicho

macrumors newbie
Oct 13, 2021
Australia
Ok, so I take out my new Nvidea GTX770, put back in the old one, now I get a bit hazy... I assume I then run the Hi sierra installer again which will then update from 84 to 89. I also think for success I will have to adjust the date to perhaps 2019? Thanks heaps so far and hopefully we can get me over the line. Cheers!

tsialex

Contributor
Original poster
Jun 13, 2016
Ok, so I take out my new Nvidea GTX770, put back in the old one, now I get a bit hazy... I assume I then run the Hi sierra installer again which will then update from 84 to 89.

Like is clearly explained on the first post, yes you need to install the AppleOEM GPU and run the macApp store full installer for High Sierra 10.13.6 - don't use earlier releases since you need MP51.0089.B00 - download it again from Apple.

Please re-read the fist post and read it fully.

I also think for success I will have to adjust the date to perhaps 2019?

If you have an expired installer you need to set the date earlier than 24 October 2019. I've already explained this to you on the last page post #1970:

Btw, are you sure your installer is the correct one, from what you wrote you are using an installer older than the required one.

If you used the correct one as clearly instructed you should have upgrade from MP51.007F.B03 to MP51.0089.B00 and not MP51.0084.B00.

Thanks heaps so far and hopefully we can get me over the line. Cheers!

There are no secret, no tricks - just do what was instructed on the first post of the thread.

If the process is too cumbersome for you, it's time to reevaluate, maybe a BootROM reconstruction would be easier and cheaper, since it's a lot less costly timewise and you will get a never booted/totally clean BootROM image fully upgraded to 144.0.0.0.0 that you can refresh whenever needed.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: RRRicho

RRRicho

macrumors newbie
Oct 13, 2021
Australia
I looked up boot reconstruction and I'm not prepared to take a soldering iron to my mac, Must be missing something. I can't find a new installer for hi sierra. I'm sure your instructions on page 1 are clear if the language is familier but it is not. I am prepared to put the old graphics card back in and run the Hi Sierra installer but as you say, the one I have is no good so can you please tell me where to get it from? Internet, app store etc is not a helpful answer im afraid I need guidance

tsialex

Contributor
Original poster
Jun 13, 2016
I looked up boot reconstruction and I'm not prepared to take a soldering iron to my mac, Must be missing something.
I talked about BootROM reconstruction, not SPI flash memory replacement.
I can't find a new installer for hi sierra. I'm sure your instructions on page 1 are clear if the language is familier but it is not. I am prepared to put the old graphics card back in and run the Hi Sierra installer but as you say, the one I have is no good so can you please tell me where to get it from? Internet, app store etc is not a helpful answer im afraid I need guidance

wyckd

macrumors newbie
Aug 12, 2011
My apologies if this is rehashing previous information.

I have an early 2009 Mac Pro upgraded to 5,1 running Sierra with a MacVidcards GTX 780. I have no desire to go beyond Sierra as I have Adobe CS 6 programs and no desire to pay a monthly homage to Adobe.

I have Sierra installed on a 512 GB SAMSUNG MZHPU PCIE SSD. I'd like to install M.2 SSD's and wanted to see if that's feasible with my system with a firmware update to EFI Version: 144.0.0.0.0? (I also have a Mac Pro 7,1 running Catalina but obviously can't run the Adobe software on that machine).

With the above said, would it be possible to clone my Sierra install on another PCIE SSD, install that PCIE SSD in the 7,1 and run Sierra (I know you can't "install" Sierra on the 7,1 - but what if it's already installed on an SSD and that SSD is installed in the 7,1?)

tsialex

Contributor
Original poster
Jun 13, 2016
My apologies if this is rehashing previous information.

I have an early 2009 Mac Pro upgraded to 5,1 running Sierra with a MacVidcards GTX 780. I have no desire to go beyond Sierra as I have Adobe CS 6 programs and no desire to pay a monthly homage to Adobe.

I have Sierra installed on a 512 GB SAMSUNG MZHPU PCIE SSD. I'd like to install M.2 SSD's and wanted to see if that's feasible with my system with a firmware update to EFI Version: 144.0.0.0.0? (I also have a Mac Pro 7,1 running Catalina but obviously can't run the Adobe software on that machine).
It's not the MacPro5,1 firmware that it's your limiting factor, but Sierra and the 4096 bytes/sector requirement for supporting NVMe drives. You will need to find a M.2 that is Sierra compatible, it will be difficult.

Read the first post of the thread below:

With the above said, would it be possible to clone my Sierra install on another PCIE SSD, install that PCIE SSD in the 7,1 and run Sierra (I know you can't "install" Sierra on the 7,1 - but what if it's already installed on an SSD and that SSD is installed in the 7,1?)
No, MacPro7,1 only works with 10.15.2 (19C57) and later macOS releases. You won't boot anything earlier than that, at all.

Try a VM, with VMWare Fusion/Parallels.

Last edited:

tsialex

Contributor
Original poster
Jun 13, 2016
Small typo there tsialex.....;)
You obviously mean 10.15.2.
Yes, thx for noticing.

10.5.2 can't even boot a MacPro4,1:
  • 2006 Mac Pro / MacPro1,1 support starts with Mac OS X 10.4.7 (8K1079)
  • 2007 Mac Pro / MacPro2,1 support starts with Mac OS X 10.4.9 (8P4037)
  • early-2008 Mac Pro support starts with Mac OS X 10.5.1 (9B2117)
  • early-2009 Mac Pro support starts with Mac OS X 10.5.6 (9G3553)
  • mid-2010 Mac Pro support starts with Mac OS X 10.6.4 (10F2521, 10F2554)
  • mid-2012 Mac Pro support starts with Mac OS X 10.7.3 (11D2001)
  • late-2013 Mac Pro support starts with Mac OS X 10.9 (13A4023)
  • 2019 Mac Pro support starts with macOS 10.15.2 (19C57)

Reactions: MarkC426

wyckd

macrumors newbie
Aug 12, 2011
Thanks for the replies. I do have a 1TB Sabrent Rocket M.2 NVME that I've been running in my 7,1, which I understand has a "native" 4K sector size. Sabrent also has a Sector Size Converter utility to change the sector size of their M.2 NVME drives to 512 or 4K -

"Sabrent’s Sector Size Converter enables you to change the drive’s sector size, which is necessary under certain data cloning scenarios. It enables re-formatting of the Rocket drive with either a 512-byte or a 4096-byte sector."

RRRicho

macrumors newbie
Oct 13, 2021
Australia
Hi Tsialex, you legend. Thankyou so much for everything thus far and for keeping me out of the shop. I've learnt heaps and doing everything I need to do software wise. And its taken a cpl weeks for the new info to sink in. I'm afraid I have looked at the BootROM reconstruction thread and well I'm back. And ready to have a go. I don't know what a "BootRom image" is But I just need to know, what do I need to do? Still on MP51.0084.B00... and the Movaje installer is now offered which is great. Thanks again

If you have an expired installer you need to set the date earlier than 24 October 2019. I've

If the process is too cumbersome for you, it's time to reevaluate, maybe a BootROM reconstruction would be easier and cheaper, since it's a lot less costly timewise and you will get a never booted/totally clean BootROM image fully upgraded to 144.0.0.0.0 that you can refresh whenever needed.

tsialex

Contributor
Original poster
Jun 13, 2016
@RRRicho I've sent you a PM about the BootROM reconstruction service, read the instructions and think about it. From your current BootROM version you can have a clean fully upgraded to mid-2012 standard and already on 144.0.0.0.0.

RRRicho

macrumors newbie
Oct 13, 2021
Australia
@RRRicho I've sent you a PM about the BootROM reconstruction service, read the instructions and think about it. From your current BootROM version you can have a clean fully upgraded to mid-2012 standard and already on 144.0.0.0.0.
I guess what I need to know is what will I actually get out of 144.0.0.0.0 that I can't do now? I can upgrade to Mojave now if I put my metal compatible graphics card back in running MP51.0084.B00. I'm a bit confused. Cheers

tsialex

Contributor
Original poster
Jun 13, 2016
I guess what I need to know is what will I actually get out of 144.0.0.0.0 that I can't do now?
Seems you just glanced at the first post, no? This is clearly answered on the firmware table there.

I can upgrade to Mojave now if I put my metal compatible graphics card back in running MP51.0084.B00. I'm a bit confused. Cheers
Mojave will only install if you already upgraded the firmware to 144.0.0.0.0. It's the first check done by the installer, second one is the Metal Supported GPU.

To install the required Mojave firmware upgrade, the first requirement is to already have MP51.0089.B00 installed and you don't have that yet.

This issue is fully explained by the first post of the thread and even the fail-safe for when nothing works is covered there, please read it again.

Last edited:

RRRicho

macrumors newbie
Oct 13, 2021
Australia
Seems you just glanced at the first post, no? This is clearly answered on the firmware table there.

Mojave will only install if you already upgraded the firmware to 144.0.0.0.0. It's the first check done by the installer, second one is the Metal Supported GPU.

To install the required Mojave firmware upgrade, the first requirement is to already have MP51.0089.B00 installed and you don't have that yet.

This issue is fully explained by the first post of the thread and even the fail-safe for when nothing works is covered there, please read it again.

RRRicho

macrumors newbie
Oct 13, 2021
Australia
Ahhh fail safe! I assume put metal back in and hold the power button down and wait for a beep or flashing light? Did that got a tone but no further joy so I shut her down , tried again after a reset, got a flashing light then and waddya know? I've got 144.0.0.0.0 !!! Super stoked! So I can now upgrade to Mojave right?

RRRicho

macrumors newbie
Oct 13, 2021
Australia
Yes I can and it is very, very nice. I have heard I can update all the way to BigSir.... I guess I'll wait for installers to appear in my apps. Thats what happened with Mojave. How far can I update? Be cool to know :)

tsialex

Contributor
Original poster
Jun 13, 2016
Yes I can and it is very, very nice. I have heard I can update all the way to BigSir.... I guess I'll wait for installers to appear in my apps. Thats what happened with Mojave. How far can I update? Be cool to know :)
Mojave is the end of official support.

Jill Valentine

macrumors newbie
Nov 6, 2021
Sweden
Hi!
I have a mid 2010 8-Core with a EVGA Geforce 680 GTX 2GB and 20GB RAM, 1 Kingston 240GB SSD with Mojave installed, and a Intense 128GB SSD with High Sierra.
I am noob when it comes to installing High Sierra and Mojave on this machine so I have used both dosdudes and open core patches. High Sierra on my Intense SSD seems running just fine on APFS filesystem. I used dosdudes patcher and from it downloaded High Sierra and made a bootable USB-stick, everything works fine. When it comes to Mojave on the other SSD I have problems. System is more sluggish and Photos application crashes all time.
I have read the original post, but I am a little confused though, my goal is to erase the Kingston SSD with Mojave on and have the latest Bootrom and perform a clean install of Mojave if possible, now I have Bootrom MP51.0089.B00.
The Intenso with High Sierra and APFS, same there Bootrom MP51.0089.B00.
Also I have two 1 GB Harddisks, using them only for backing up files etc.
So I would be very thankful for any step by step tip performing all steps.
Sorry my bad English I'm from Sweden.

tsialex

Contributor
Original poster
Jun 13, 2016
Hi!
I have a mid 2010 8-Core with a EVGA Geforce 680 GTX 2GB and 20GB RAM, 1 Kingston 240GB SSD with Mojave installed, and a Intense 128GB SSD with High Sierra.
I am noob when it comes to installing High Sierra and Mojave on this machine so I have used both dosdudes and open core patches. High Sierra on my Intense SSD seems running just fine on APFS filesystem. I used dosdudes patcher and from it downloaded High Sierra and made a bootable USB-stick, everything works fine. When it comes to Mojave on the other SSD I have problems. System is more sluggish and Photos application crashes all time.
I have read the original post, but I am a little confused though, my goal is to erase the Kingston SSD with Mojave on and have the latest Bootrom and perform a clean install of Mojave if possible, now I have Bootrom MP51.0089.B00.
The Intenso with High Sierra and APFS, same there Bootrom MP51.0089.B00.
Also I have two 1 GB Harddisks, using them only for backing up files etc.
So I would be very thankful for any step by step tip performing all steps.
Sorry my bad English I'm from Sweden.
Seems you missed that the first post already have step by step installation process.

Do a clean install of High Sierra and then download and open Mojave from the App Store.

You can download both from:

With a NVIDIA GPU, you can only install to another empty HDD/SSD from macOS, won't work from USB createinstallmedia - also clearly explained on the first post.

Reactions: Jill Valentine

Jill Valentine

macrumors newbie
Nov 6, 2021
Sweden
Seems you missed that the first post already have step by step installation process.

Do a clean install of High Sierra and then download and open Mojave from the App Store.

You can download both from:

With a NVIDIA GPU, you can only install to another empty HDD/SSD from macOS, won't work from USB createinstallmedia - also clearly explained on the first post.
Thank you very much for quick reply! Then I will from High Sierra erase the disk with Mojave and download High Sierra from the link. From there I just start the installation and choose the empty Kingston SSD?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.