Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

tsialex

Contributor
Original poster
Jun 13, 2016
I am aware of that, but since this MacPro had Mojave installed before I decided to do a clean install, is it safe to assume that those BootROMS where already in place and should still be present? I upgraded from Sierra via High Sierra to Mojave using the official Apple installers, so the BootROMs would've been updated then as well, no?
This is incompatible with what you wrote on the first post of yours:

… trying to install High Sierra didn't work because for some reason the firmware update didn't finalize. I have now tried installing Sierra (clean, from USB), but I get an error message right at the end of the install procedure.
BootROM upgrades are only required if you have an earlier release installed, it will never install over the same release again or install a previous issued release over a new one.

You probably have a different issue, or more than one, so, start your diagnostic double checking the current BootROM version installed.

PascalGarnier

macrumors newbie
Dec 21, 2021

BootROM upgrades are only required if you have an earlier release installed, it will never install over the same release again or install a previous issued release over a new one.

You probably have a different issue, or more than one, so, start your diagnostic double checking the current BootROM version installed.
Thanks for all the help and useful information!

PascalGarnier

macrumors newbie
Dec 21, 2021

So I managed to install El Capitan on an SSD and boot the Mac Pro with that SSD. My BootROM is 144.0.0 (only 2 zeros, not the 4, is that normal?) in the system info (via My Mac).
This is what I expected, since it ran Mojave in the past.
So, how should I proceed? Use the installers for Sierra, High Sierra and Mojave that I found here : https://www.macworld.co.uk/how-to/bootable-mac-installer-3575875/#getfiles?

Or should I go straight for High Sierra, so that I can then switch out my GPU for my Metal GPU and then proceed to Mojave? And for Mojave, would it be OK to use macOSUpd10.14.5.dmg (from Apple's site)? I'm guessing that last one isn't necessary as I already have the correct BootROM?

Thanks again for all help and advice!

Last edited:

tsialex

Contributor
Original poster
Jun 13, 2016
So I managed to install El Capitan on an SSD and boot the Mac Pro with that SSD. My BootROM is 144.0.0 (only 2 zeros, not the 4, is that normal?) in the system info (via My Mac).
This is what I expected, since it ran Mojave in the past.
So, how should I proceed? Use the installers for Sierra, High Sierra and Mojave that I found here : https://www.macworld.co.uk/how-to/bootable-mac-installer-3575875/#getfiles?

Or should I go straight for High Sierra, so that I can then switch out my GPU for my Metal GPU and then proceed to Mojave? And for Mojave, would it be OK to use macOSUpd10.14.5.dmg (from Apple's site)? I'm guessing that last one isn't necessary as I already have the correct BootROM?

Thanks again for all help and advice!
macOS releases earlier than High Sierra ignore the two last digits of the current versioning for EFI releases, so it's normal to display 144.0.0. You already have the most recent BootROM.

The correct place to get past macOS installers is the Apple support article below:

Download the packaged installer from the link above, open the package, it will unpack the real installer and place it on /Applications, after that you can create a createinstallmedia USB installer or you can also use the installer to do a clean install directly from macOS, just select another disk on your Mac Pro.

The last version of Mojave is 10.14.6 and it's the only one that you can get it now from Apple.

PascalGarnier

macrumors newbie
Dec 21, 2021
macOS releases earlier than High Sierra ignore the two last digits of the current versioning for EFI releases, so it's normal to display 144.0.0. You already have the most recent BootROM.

The correct place to get past macOS installers is the Apple support article below:

Download the packaged installer from the link above, open the package, it will unpack the real installer and place it on /Applications, after that you can create a createinstallmedia USB installer or you can also use the installer to do a clean install directly from macOS, just select another disk on your Mac Pro.

The last version of Mojave is 10.14.6 and it's the only one that you can get it now from Apple.
update : both the installer for Sierra and High Sierra result in the following error :
"storage system verify or repair failed" (about halfway through the install).
I'm using the most recent installers from Apple (the link you gave) and running the installer from the new system disk (El Capitan, on SSD) to a freshly formatted (HFS+, GUID) hard disk.
Will try another harddisk just to eliminate that being the cause and reset NVRAM just to be safe.
Keep you posted

Last edited:

Melbourne Park

macrumors 6502a
Hi guys.

I've not been able to install Mojave.

I am not straight High Sierra and not using anything else such as Open Core etc.

I did various things, and at least the ROM is 144.0.0.0.0 (from 1:38.)

Model Name: Mac Pro
Model Identifier: MacPro5,1
Memory: 24 GB
Boot ROM Version: 144.0.0.0.0
SMC Version (system): 1.39f11
SMC Version (processor tray): 1.39f11

I am writing this using the 5770 GPU, in High Sierra.

I formatted the original apple drive, into 3 "containers": two APFS (not Case sensitive as case sensitive appeared to not import settings from High Sierra) - one 600 MB, one 388 MB, and the third is not APFS, and its 10 GB (I thought many for putting an install OS X there).

So I have the install Mojave file on the High Sierra 600 BM drive ... which was a clean install followed by an import of mail etc etc but not data and also apps.

In the apps folder is the install Mojave file:

Kind: Application
Size: 6,051,048,165 bytes (6.06 GB on disk)
Where: /Volumes/Original HD 600 GB/Applications
Created: Friday, 20 September 2019 at 4:09 am
Modified: Today
Version: 14.6.06
Copywrite: Install macOS Mojave, Copyright © 2007–2019 Apple Inc. All rights reserved.

So I have tried to install this with the approved RX 580 which is identified (the Sapphire Pulse blessed version although its a duel bias one although I don't know where the duel switch is located)
- and the computer reboots
- and I did the hold start button which installs again the ROM - on my 2nd install attempt, the ROM was still 1:38 but this time the ROM must have loaded because its now 1:44.)
- then the computer restarts and of course the screen stays black while I presume it loads the new OS Mojave
- But it never finishes the install
- Instead of rebooting and the screen going from black to a password and a pic of Mojave (which I have not yet seen on this 5,1) the computer goes very quiet, then there is the odd hard drive noise, and then, a fan turns on and its sound like its going to boot
- But instead, it goes quiet again, and several minutes later, the fan starts up and a drive operates - and it continues this look

I've tried to boot with the shift key down but no luck

So then I remove the RX 580, put in the 5770, and boot again ... into either OS 10.92 I think, or a drive which has High Sierra on it, along with lots of documents etc. That is not the drive I am trying to upgrade High Sierra (a clean install) to Mojave.

The disk where the install should of happened appears OK too ...

Any advise would be appreciated.

I still have slow Ram in it but that should affect things IMO.

Happy Christmas too guys and girls.

Last edited:

tsialex

Contributor
Original poster
Jun 13, 2016
Hi guys.

I've not been able to install Mojave.

I did various things, and at least the ROM is 144.0.0.0.0 (from 1:38.)

Model Name: Mac Pro
Model Identifier: MacPro5,1
Memory: 24 GB
Boot ROM Version: 144.0.0.0.0
SMC Version (system): 1.39f11
SMC Version (processor tray): 1.39f11

I am writing this using the 5770 GPU, in High Sierra.

I formatted the original apple drive, into 3 "containers": two APFS (not Case sensitive as case sensitive appeared to not import settings from High Sierra) - one 600 MB, one 388 MB, and the third is not APFS, and its 10 GB (I thought many for putting an install OS X there).

So I have the install Mojave file on the High Sierra 600 BM drive ... which was a clean install followed by an import of mail etc etc but not data and also apps.

In the apps folder is the install Mojave file:

Kind: Application
Size: 6,051,048,165 bytes (6.06 GB on disk)
Where: /Volumes/Original HD 600 GB/Applications
Created: Friday, 20 September 2019 at 4:09 am
Modified: Today
Version: 14.6.06
Copywrite: Install macOS Mojave, Copyright © 2007–2019 Apple Inc. All rights reserved.

So I have tried to install this with the approved RX 580 which is identified (the Sapphire Pulse blessed version although its a duel bias one although I don't know where the duel switch is located)
- and the computer reboots
- and I did the hold start button which installs again the ROM but I've only done that once successfully
- then the computer restarts and of course the screen stays black while I presume it loads the new OS Mojave
- But it never finishes the install
- Instead of rebooting and the screen going from black to a password and a pic of Mojave (which I have not yet seen on this 5,1) the computer goes very quiet, then there is the odd hard drive noise, and then, a fan turns on and its sound like its going to boot
- But instead, it goes quiet again, and several minutes later, the fan starts up and a drive operates - and it continues this look

I've tried to boot with the shift key down but no luck

So then I remove the RX 580, put in the 5770, and boot again ... into either OS 10.92 I think, or a drive which has High Sierra on it, along with lots of documents etc. That is not the drive I am trying to upgrade High Sierra (a clean install) to Mojave.

The disk where the install should of happened appears OK too ...

Any advise would be appreciated.

I still have slow Ram in it but that should affect things IMO.

Happy Christmas too guys and girls.
Keep it simple, do a clean install from High Sierra to a nuked disk, don't create any APFS partitions or even containers, just make one jhfs+ partition, exactly like you when were installing SnowLeopard to Sierra. Mojave installer will take care of adjusting partitioning and creating containers correctly, changing what is needed after the first reboot - don't try to be smarter than the installer. Don't use TimeMachine or move manually any files until you are sure that your Mojave install works correctly. After you are sure that you got everything working, you can reinstall the way you intend to.

Btw, since you already have 144.0.0.0.0 installed, you don't need this thread anymore and Mojave forum will be more appropriate for any other issues.

Melbourne Park

macrumors 6502a
Keep it simple, do a clean install from High Sierra to a nuked disk, don't create any APFS partitions or even containers, just make one jhfs+ partition, exactly like you when were installing SnowLeopard to Sierra. Mojave installer will take care of adjusting partitioning and creating containers correctly, changing what is needed after the first reboot - don't try to be smarter than the installer. Don't use TimeMachine or move manually any files until you are sure that your Mojave install works correctly. After you are sure that you got everything working, you can reinstall the way you intend to.

Btw, since you already have 144.0.0.0.0 installed, you don't need this thread anymore and Mojave forum will be more appropriate for any other issues.
Thanks tsialex. I was naughty - I did not use what you sent me, quite a long time ago!!! but I only did two changes to the ROM. From the original, to 1:38 and then seemingly straight to 1.44.

I was of view that I could not select the install disk - I'll see if I have an option. I'll try to find that thread too ...

PascalGarnier

macrumors newbie
Dec 21, 2021
Thanks for all the help and advice. Took the occasional NVRAM reset during install, but I'm typing this from a fresh install of Mojave with an RX560. Just made a clone of both the High Sierra clean install (just in case I have to go back to the original GPU) and this Mojave install for potential future problems. Took me about two days but happy to be back up and running again.

Melbourne Park

macrumors 6502a

I can't find such a thread ... and I have been trying to install Mojave, but in order to do so, the boot Rom change is but one part of that process ...

And while I could attempt installing Mojave, now in an upgraded version of High Sierra (not a clean install of High Sierra) I can no longer get the install program to function ... I have removed all the application install OS programs as well ... and any other install applications I can find ... I just get the: This copy of the Install macOS Mojave.app application is damaged and can‘t be used to install macOS.

I've seen that before too and all I had to do was remove a previous install app. But I've done that and the darn computer repeats this infuriating "damaged" message ... why do Apple make things that were simple, so complicated now?

I don't want to do another clean install of High Sierra - do I have to back another drive and format it and do another clean install of Sierra? And Apple says I can install Mojave from many previous to High Sierra Operating systems. But how can I when one needs a metal card to achieve that installation, and my recommended by Apple Sapphire card won't run on those earlier apps? How inane ...

the previous clean High Sierra OS was on the partition of the drive I just erased and left as a single APFS etc drive ..
And that darn drive seems to have three layers:
- the drive itself,
- then a container,
- and then drive name I gave it ... three layers??

And the drive reports 999.79 GB available. From an Apple supplied Western Digital 1 TB drive from the factory.
- 860 kb used.
- 999.7 GB free.
- But then disk utility reports:
- Other volumes 207.1 MB.

Uhh?? I remember when Macs were simple ...

Last edited:

PascalGarnier

macrumors newbie
Dec 21, 2021
I can't find such a thread ... and I have been trying to install Mojave, but in order to do so, the boot Rom change is but one part of that process ...

And while I could attempt installing Mojave, now in an upgraded version of High Sierra (not a clean install of High Sierra) I can no longer get the install program to function ... I have removed all the application install OS programs as well ... and any other install applications I can find ... I just get the: This copy of the Install macOS Mojave.app application is damaged and can‘t be used to install macOS.

I've seen that before too and all I had to do was remove a previous install app. But I've done that and the darn computer reports this.

I don't want to do another clean install of High Sierra - the previous one was on the partition of the drive I just erased and left as a single APFS etc drive .. which seems to have three layers: the drive itself, then a container, and then drive name I gave it ... the drive reports 999.79 GB available. 860 kb used. 999.7 GB free. But then disk utility reports Other volumes 207.1 MB. Uhh?? I remember when Macs were simple ...
Just do a clean install of High Sierra. It was my way out of trouble. I had to start from El Capitan to get there, but it was worth the trouble to get a clean install of Mojave again. Also, if you have a clean install of High Sierra, you can clone that and keep it for whenever your Metal GPU would stop working. With High Sierra you can then run your Mac with any legacy GPU for Mac.
Your system is not clean to begin with, so there's too many variables at this point to find what is stopping you from updating. Getting a clean install of an older OS to work is a much better start than the situation you're in right now.

Melbourne Park

macrumors 6502a
Your system is not clean to begin with, so there's too many variables at this point to find what is stopping you from updating. Getting a clean install of an older OS to work is a much better start than the situation you're in right now.
Yep ... I've got a few drives and I'm time machining a Sierra partition now ... which was the drive sourced to provide the High Sierra that must be corrupted. I'll check there isn't data there an then format it etc.

Really I should buy a big drive - an 8 TB I guess - two I guess and mirror them - but its the 23rd of December!! Times run out ...

I've got an SSD with OS 10.9.2 on it ... its only 250 GB. I could use that ... but I don't trust Time Machine to be able to recover that drive, and its old so maybe I may need it. I guess I should go and buy a 500 GB SSD and just replace the 10.9.2 one, put it with my software in case I need the old OS.

But who buys SSDs when NVME are a fare bit cheaper its seems ...

And you would not believe it, but the App Store pops up now and then and so I try to do the install ... and then I get the Application damaged call ... Very frustrating, and really, what happened to Apple's easy to use basis? For instance, that "damaged" does not explain why ... its just makes the user frustrated. Damaged? Did I spill water on it? Did I shout too loudly? No need for that Apple. Write install software that is easy to use you morons. And when something doesn't work - provide a link to what to look for that has most probably provided a "damaged" call. Why not say "likely duplication or Operating System corruption". "Please click on this link for what to look for or for remedies and what further we can assist you so that you can install Mojave."

Thanks for your great advise pascal - I'll follow what you've advised ... I just wish I had a spare drive or partition kicking around ...

Last edited:

sfalatko

macrumors 6502a
Sep 24, 2016

I've seen that before too and all I had to do was remove a previous install app. But I've done that and the darn computer repeats this infuriating "damaged" message ... why do Apple make things that were simple, so complicated now?

I don't want to do another clean install of High Sierra - do I have to back another drive and format it and do another clean install of Sierra? And Apple says I can install Mojave from many previous to High Sierra Operating systems. But how can I when one needs a metal card to achieve that installation, and my recommended by Apple Sapphire card won't run on those earlier apps? How inane ...

the previous clean High Sierra OS was on the partition of the drive I just erased and left as a single APFS etc drive ..
And that darn drive seems to have three layers:
- the drive itself,
- then a container,
- and then drive name I gave it ... three layers??

And the drive reports 999.79 GB available. From an Apple supplied Western Digital 1 TB drive from the factory.
- 860 kb used.
- 999.7 GB free.
- But then disk utility reports:
- Other volumes 207.1 MB.

Uhh?? I remember when Macs were simple ...
The certificates in earlier installers have expired. You need to redownload the Mojave installer. One way is to use installinstallmacos.py. You can get it here - macadmin-scripts.

@tsialex was referring to the Mojave forum - macOS Mojave (10.14) - for advice on Mojave install issues

Reactions: Melbourne Park

PascalGarnier

macrumors newbie
Dec 21, 2021
Mojave only needs 70 GB for the install, so a 250 GB SSD is more than enough as your system disk. Those are cheap nowadays (prices start from $30). Put it in the drive bay of your MacPro, on top of your CD/DVD drive. Fill up the rest of the bays with your data, limit your system SSD to the OS and applications.

Melbourne Park

macrumors 6502a
Mojave only needs 70 GB for the install, so a 250 GB SSD is more than enough as your system disk. Those are cheap nowadays (prices start from $30). Put it in the drive bay of your MacPro, on top of your CD/DVD drive. Fill up the rest of the bays with your data, limit your system SSD to the OS and applications.
yes, I have a 250 GB where the 2nd DVD drive went. That's where 10.9.2 is. It's got some video software on it that I might still need, to import tape drives.

I will buy either a 1TB SSD and pull that one out.

I've got a spare drive bay at the moment too ... I have a WD Black 4TB in one bay, a 2TB in another, and the original Mac WD 1 TB in another. I reckon I should get some more 4TB drives and run a RAID 5 on them, if Mac OS can handle that. I could then have a fair bit of fault tolerant storage.

But ... I am not sure if I can mix up different brand of drives for a RAID ... maybe I need to buy all the same type ... the Black WD drives are fairly expensive too.

When I stop using the Mac Pro I could either use it as a server or put the drives into a more efficient NAS. I don't know what drives to get though ...

MarkC426

macrumors 68040
May 14, 2008
UK
Without going off-topic, if you have an RX580 for Mojave, you will not be able to boot 10.9.
An RX580 will only work with Sierra+.

Warrington

macrumors member
Dec 13, 2021
I knew about 10.9, but i am actually delighted that the 580 can boot Sierra (even if poorly I presume). When the installation of Mojave has failed, I've had to swap the GPU cards, and I can now do so very quickly!

In my opinion, what you really need is two different machines: one running 10.9 and the other one running High Sierra / Mojave.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.