MacRumors 2017 Blood Drive

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Apr 12, 2001
www.macrumors.com

MacRumors is pleased to announce the Eighth Annual MacRumors Blood Drive, throughout the month of May 2017. Our goal is to save lives by increasing the number of life-saving blood and platelet donations. While most blood drives are specific to a geographic location, our blood drive is online and worldwide. MacRumors routinely reports on Apple's support for charity, as summarized in our Help Center, and the MacRumors Blood Drive is our own community effort.

Over the past 7 years, the MacRumors Blood Drives have recorded donations of 381 units of blood, platelets, and plasma, and noted new signups for the organ donor and bone marrow registries. We've heard from many forum members whose lives were affected by blood, platelet, or bone marrow donations.

How to participate

1. If you are eligible, schedule a blood or platelet donation (see FAQ), in May if possible, at any donation center near you. Register for the bone marrow registry in your country and/or register as an organ donor in your state, province, or country (see FAQ). Then post in the MacRumors 2017 Blood Drive! thread to tell us about it and to accept our thanks.

2. If you aren't eligible to donate blood for reasons of health, age, height/weight, a recent donation, or because you are deferred as a donor, please encourage someone else to make a donation, and let us know. If they donate, you belong on our Honor Roll! If you are a sexually active gay man deferred from donating, join our Blood donor eligibility discussion, with its debate over deferrals based on sexual orientation but not on monogamy.

3. Share our message and help this cause by convincing friends and relatives to participate as well. The Honor Roll lists this year's donors. Please congratulate them for their altruistic acts to help strangers.

Article Link: MacRumors 2017 Blood Drive

DudeDad

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2009
The article mentions bone marrow registries....if you are not on one, please think about it. I joined one in 1989 after being tested for a local girl. In 1991, I matched someone and donated in October 1991. My recipient lived nearly 22 more years, getting to see his son grow up, graduate college, get a job, fall in love, and get engaged.

It only takes one to make a difference. Please consider it. If you have any questions about the process, message me.

mateytate

macrumors regular
Apr 10, 2014
I tried to donate previously, but as a Brit living in Louisiana, I was turned away as I was told because I lived in the U.K. during the 90s I may have mad cows disease!

Reactions: dominiongamma

macsrcool1234

macrumors 65816
Oct 7, 2010
Dumb question but I thought donated blood doesn't last very long? If so, isn't a lot of this going to go to waste?

I remember seeing somewhere it's better to donate during a disaster/when it's needed.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Dumb question but I thought donated blood doesn't last very long? If so, isn't a lot of this going to go to waste?

I remember seeing somewhere it's better to donate during a disaster/when it's needed.
I copied this from the web site of our local blood bank.

One pint of blood can be separated into three primary components which can help up to several people in need:

1. Red Blood Cells - carry oxygen to the body's organ and tissues. These cells are needed for accident victims and surgery patients. They can be refrigerated and stored for only up to 42 days.

2. Plasma - is 90 percent water, makes up to 55 percent of blood volume and is needed for organ, burn and shock patients. Plasma can be frozen and stored up to one year.

3. Platelets - are an essential factor in blood clotting and give patients with leukemia and other cancers a chance to live. These can be stored at room temperature no longer than 5 days.

thisisnotmyname

macrumors 68000
Oct 22, 2014
known but velocity indeterminate
I just saw the episode of Adam Ruins Everything about giving last week. Point of the show is to not just focus to a single event such as a blood drive but to give regularly. Hopefully this event inspires some to keep donating over time.

LordVic

macrumors 603
Sep 7, 2011
I've got 0 neg blood, and I'm not allowed to donate because I travel to UK about once a year. kind of sucks. But for everyone who does donate, keep up the great work.

LordVic

macrumors 603
Sep 7, 2011
Sorry if this is a dumb question, but what's the reason for that exclusion?
there's an odd combination of things. Canadian blood services has a listing of regions and time periods where known outbreaks of certain blood born illnesses had occured. if you travelled in those areas during those times, you may be ineligible for life to donate. There's a comprehensive list available on their website.

For example, I just got home from Caribbean vacation as well, many of those countries are on the Zika list, which also prevents me from donating blood till a certain period of time has elapsed (not sure)

it's a safeguard measure to attempt to limit exposure and risk of these diseases being spread

Reactions: macs4nw

StevieD100

macrumors 6502a
Jan 18, 2014
Living Dangerously in Retirement
Save lives.
And as someone who has been helped by blood donors, I say to those who don't, time to change your life perhaps?

Because I've had Chemo for my Leukaemia I can't donate any longer but I did give 25 pints over the years.
My illness needed more than that in terms of transfusions to keep me going while my immunse system rebooted itself.

So go on, give some blood and save a life.
[doublepost=1493655820][/doublepost]
Sorry if this is a dumb question, but what's the reason for that exclusion?
Probably think we still have a mad cow disease epidemic (which we didn't) or something equally as silly.

Attirex

macrumors 6502a
Apr 8, 2015
Maybe MR should focus less on blood drives and more on updating the Mac--oh, wait.

Um, Steve Jobs would've never had a Macrumors blood dr---darnit.

TIME FOR TIM COOK TO GO????????

ah, well. Good luck with the drive!

chrono1081

macrumors 604
Jan 26, 2008
Isla Nublar
Which is crazy. I have a gay friend who donates regularly. He's been in a monogamous relationship for the last 25 years, so why can't he?
It's only if you've had sex with other men in the past year. Outside of that donations are welcome.

Monogamous relationships mean nothing because there's no way for someone to guarantee their partner isn't cheating.

It's just a simply numbers game, gay men make up roughly 2% - 4% of the population but account for 78% of new HIV infections. They're eliminating the highest risk groups. (I can't google it at work but those numbers are from the CDC website).

Reactions: crf8

displaced

macrumors 65816
Jun 23, 2003
Gravesend, United Kingdom
Donated last week here in the UK - 20th time (and I'd had a gap of about 9 years recently).

Sadly, my blood is of limited use. I'm AB+, so my blood's only good for other AB+ people. However, we don't really need it because we're the universal recipient - we can have anyone's blood!

I'm amazed at the bandages and things donors get in other countries. Here, we get a plaster and a little foam tube taped over the top to add pressure. Unfortunately we didn't get a free coffee, only juice. The session was at a Mormon church, so no stimulants were allowed to be served. Shame - the coffee's the best bit!

Reactions: JeffyTheQuik

displaced

macrumors 65816
Jun 23, 2003
Gravesend, United Kingdom
Only in US of A you need so much bandage after giving blood. Complete bollocks.
To be fair, you can still get bandages here if you have an allergy to plasters.

Back when I first started donating, not only did you get bandages, but you also got a local anaesthetic injected before the cannula was inserted!

Not like that now... and I'm sure the cannula's bigger than ever -- it's like a knitting-needle :)

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Only in US of A you need so much bandage after giving blood. Complete bollocks.
I'm not quite sure how you think this would have anything to do with the US, but I believe (based on previous posts) both those folks made platelet donations. That is a much much more involved process requiring a larger gauge needle, hence the larger bandage.

http://www.redcrossblood.org/plateletFAQ