Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors Celebrates Eighth Birthday, Over Five Million Forum Posts

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

Today marks the eighth birthday of the MacRumors.com website. It also happens to be the 53rd birthday of Apple CEO Steve Jobs.

The MacRumors Forums, the discussion boards for the MacRumors family of sites, reached a milestone this week as well, passing five million forum posts.

It took MacRumors 3.3 years to reach one million posts, 1.3 years to reach two million posts, 10 months to reach three million posts, 9 months to reach four million posts, and only 6 months to reach five million posts. We attribute our continued rate of growth both to MacRumors' rank as the top Apple news site on the web, and to the increased interest in Apple and its products, especially since the introduction of the iPhone.

MacRumors is celebrating its latest forum milestone as it has in the past, with an Avatar Contest! Forum members are invited to create original avatars and enter them in the contest. The winners will be selected in polls and will receive extra forum privileges. For the full contest description and rules, see the Five Million Post Avatar Contest.

A few interesting reader stats from our recent survey:

- 52% own a MacBook Pro (or PowerBook)
- 41% own an iMac
- 40% own a MacBook (or iBook)
- 30% own a Mac Pro (or PowerMac)
- 17% own a Mac mini
- 2.6% own an Xserve

- 74% own an iPod
- 31% own an iPhone
- 13% own an iPod Touch
- 12% own an Apple TV

We thank our members, contributors, sponsors, and all those for whom MacRumors is an online home or a regular stop. We'd also like to thank our volunteers for their hard work and continued efforts in keeping MacRumors the popular site it is.

Editors: arn, longofest
Administrators: Doctor Q, Knox, Mudbug, WildCowboy
Moderators: AmbitiousLemon, Blue Velvet, devilot, edesignuk, HexMonkey, jsw, mad jew, Mitthrawnuruodo, mkrishnan, Mr. Anderson, Nermal, Rower_CPU, WinterMute, xUKHCx, yellow

Article Link

Killyp

macrumors 68040
Jun 14, 2006
Woop!!! Happy Birthday!!!

I can't believe how many posts there are on this forum...

Comment

motulist

macrumors 601
Dec 2, 2003
iPhone's release looks like it caused a visible bump in the posting rate! You can see it in the steep upswing in number of posts that happens right after the july 07 mark on that graph, and then the post rate slopes back down to where the previous posting rate trend was projecting towards.

Comment

nlivo

macrumors 6502a
Jun 18, 2007
Ballarat, Australia
well done, thats awesome. I have been reading macrumurs for ages but when the iPhone was being released in late June, thats what made me sign up and talk in the forums. I love macrumurs, and thanks for the great reading material over the years.

Comment

gr8tfly

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2006
~119W 34N
Congrats! Here's to another very successful year!

Proud owner/user of [see sig] plus a growing collection of Macs (and Newton 130) dating back to 1984 (FAT Mac). Use to have a 128k, too.

Comment

riscy

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2008
China
Congratulations on the milestones.

This place is a great resource and a great community. Keep up the good work.

Comment

applemumba

macrumors member
Aug 22, 2007
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A93 Safari/419.3)

Congratulations Arn, keep up the good work. Here's to the further future success of mac rumors!

Comment

Deepdale

macrumors 68000
May 4, 2005
New York
This is an outstanding site in all respects, especially in how it is organized and maintained by moderators ... here's hoping for many more birthday celebrations to come.

Comment

swagi

macrumors 6502a
Sep 6, 2007
Congratulations

Happy Birthday MR.

And another info, the contest page seems to work now.

Comment

dogtanian

macrumors 6502
Jun 26, 2007
Bournemouth, UK
Whoop whoop! Proud to be part of the community :p

I remember using Macrumours (sp!) back when I was wondering whether to get a mac back in 2003, it obviously worked!

Comment

notsofatjames

macrumors 6502a
Jan 11, 2007
Wales, UK
well done macrumorers. This website wouldn't be what it is if the forum members were so nice and helpful. So well done everyone!!

Comment

Shoesy

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2007
Colchester, UK.
Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A93 Safari/419.3)

merry birth-time x

Comment

Doylem

macrumors 68040
Dec 30, 2006
Wherever I hang my hat...
Like a lot of things that 'just work', I best there's a lot of work that goes on behind the scenes to make this little dysfunctional community what it is. Congratulations... :)

Comment

Shadow

macrumors 68000
Feb 17, 2006
Congrats MR (and by connection arm, Doctor Q, and all the other mods & gods)! :)

Some of those stats are quite interesting. Take a look at the "Share of Visits" pie chart and you'll see that 87% are either addicts or regulars! :eek:

Comment

Knox

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 1, 2002
UK
I guess it's only available for those who have enought posts to enable an avatar in the first place.

i.e unlike me.

Winners of the avatar contest get exemption from the 500 post rule, so anyone can enter.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.