Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

MacRumors readers can save 25% on the 1Password Family subscription in October, bringing the price of the service down to $44.88 per year, from an original price of $59.85. On a monthly basis, this means that the service will cost $3.75 per month (originally $4.99 per month).

1Pass25offForFamily.jpg
Note: MacRumors is an affiliate partner with 1Password. When you click a link and make a purchase, we may receive a small payment, which helps us keep the site running.

To get the deal, head to 1Password's website and click "get started" on the landing page for the discount. It is billed annually, so you'll pay $44.88 upfront for an entire year of 1Password Families. The regular $4.99 per month price of 1Password Families will kick in after your first year ends.

This offer is only for new 1Password customers, and will expire on October 31, 2020.

1Password is a password management app that is compatible across Apple devices, including iPhone and Mac. It allows you to create and store strong passwords across all of your most important online accounts, and alert you when your passwords are compromised.

1Password Families is built to support up to five family members, providing each person with access to the password management service. It supports 1GB of encrypted storage for documents, cross-platform sync, item history backup, 1Password Watchtower for compromised passwords, and more.

If you're on the hunt for more discounts, be sure to visit our Apple Deals roundup where we recap the best Apple-related bargains of the past week.

Article Link: MacRumors Exclusive: Get 25% Off Your First Year of 1Password Families

Tofupunch

macrumors 6502
Dec 4, 2014
Been a while since I used keychain but 1P also generates passwords that you can quickly customize with the number of characters, numbers, symbols used. If I'm going to pay for any subscription, the security of my online information will be my priority.

BigMcGuire

Contributor
Jan 10, 2012
the Alpha Quadrant
I don't understand how this adds any value for an Apple user? All of this functionality comes with the ecosystem.

Not all of this functionality comes with the Apple ecosystem. I can run 1Password on my Windows Machine. I can share passwords with specific sets of family - with a shared group of passwords for family. I can handle 2FA within the app for accounts. I can set specific password requirements / complexities / length when creating passwords and it remembers the history of my passwords over time.

While Apple's keychain is nice especially if you just have a Mac, 1Password has quite a few more features that I utilize.

I have 1Password for Families and have for years now. It's been great. Great company, great integration with all browsers, all platforms.

Zwhaler

macrumors 604
Jun 10, 2006
Reminder: anybody who pays for Dropbox Plus or higher has access to their new-ish Dropbox Passwords service.

Reactions: MacLawyer

HiVolt

macrumors 65816
Sep 29, 2008
Toronto, Canada
One thing that sucks with 1P, is the subscription fees. We're just being overloaded with recurring fees for software that used to be cheap.

for Canadian pricing a single user is $45/year. This program used to cost in the neighbourhood of $50-60 before if I recall correctly.

And you owned it. Now you stop paying, it stops working. You've paid for a glorified rental and got bubcus to show for it.

ashleykaryl

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2011
UK
Hmm, mine is due for renewal in October and it would have been nice if they extended the same deal to existing customers. I've been using 1Password for over 10 years now, which might have merited a discount.

If you only need passwords for website logins you may well find the keychain adequate but for many like myself the additional features in 1Password are fairly indispensable.

lpozdena

macrumors newbie
Jun 29, 2020
One time I lost my iPhone in Maui, and through a combination of using a browser on the Lahaina AT&T Store's computer and 2FA on my cellular Apple Watch, I was able to access my 1Password vault to get all the credentials I needed to be set up with a replacement phone.

iCloud Keychain would not have facilitated this. Plus, all iCloud Keychain stores is simple domain/username/password combos. I have tons of credentials that need additional information like account numbers, PINs, etc. You could keep a secure photo of your ID which is very handy because in case you lose your ID, sometimes security checkpoints, notaries etc, will in fact honor a photo. But you don't want to store that photo just anywhere. And there are many more things 1Password can do that iCloud Keychain doesn't even try to do.

1Password Families itself is incredible for sharing a few common credentials with families members, like a Netflix password, but letting each member keep their own private vault. I think it's worth every penny.

And no, I am not connected to 1Password the company, in any way, shape, or form. It's just that their product has come to the rescue so many times, that I'm a huge fan.

drsox

macrumors 68000
Apr 29, 2011
Xhystos
One thing that sucks with 1P, is the subscription fees. We're just being overloaded with recurring fees for software that used to be cheap.

for Canadian pricing a single user is $45/year. This program used to cost in the neighbourhood of $50-60 before if I recall correctly.

And you owned it. Now you stop paying, it stops working. You've paid for a glorified rental and got bubcus to show for it.

There's also a stand-alone one-off price version. That's what I have - I've never stored a password in the cloud. (Does require an extra payment for upgrade to the next version - but not often).

Aragornii

macrumors 6502
Jun 25, 2010
This is interesting timing for me as I am in my one month free trial period. Does anyone know if there is a way to apply the discount if you are still in the trial period, or would I need to cancel and start a new account?

slothinker

macrumors member
Nov 28, 2012
I've used clipperz.is since 2008. Web-based, anonymous, free. Their slogan is "keep it to yourself".

joecomo

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2010
Not all of this functionality comes with the Apple ecosystem. I can run 1Password on my Windows Machine. I can share passwords with specific sets of family - with a shared group of passwords for family. I can handle 2FA within the app for accounts. I can set specific password requirements / complexities / length when creating passwords and it remembers the history of my passwords over time.

While Apple's keychain is nice especially if you just have a Mac, 1Password has quite a few more features that I utilize.

I have 1Password for Families and have for years now. It's been great. Great company, great integration with all browsers, all platforms.
I agree - it is especially convenient for older family members.

If you are nerdy or hyper-security conscious you can run on a local copy of the database - or even use cloud replication
(not theirs - I mean an external one like dropbox). So the product can be used without the subscription.

Capeto

macrumors 6502
Jul 9, 2015
I have thought of changing my single user license to a family and put my elderly parents on it so I could help them manager their passwords
This is exactly what I’m thinking too. Does anyone know if I can use this offer if I already have an individual subscription, but not a family one?

joecomo

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2010
I have thought of changing my single user license to a family and put my elderly parents on it so I could help them manager their passwords
Thats what we are doing - don't expect an easy run. But at the end it is much better than doing password resets or searching for sticky notes.

Reactions: ozarkcanoer

thejoshuabradshaw

macrumors member
Dec 5, 2018
Huntsville, Alabama
I just got it, Just trying to figure a way to import it from Keychain. Dashlane did this for me automatically, but I didn't like the service. This one seems to be more mac centric. Help!

mj_

macrumors 65816
May 18, 2017
Austin, TX
The day that I start paying a subscription fee for a password safe is the day I would like to be declared legally insane and put under tutelage of a decapitated chicken. Because clearly that chicken will have more brain capacity left over than me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.