MacRumors Forums need a new THEME!

Discussion in 'Site and Forum Feedback' started by TheSpaz, Feb 29, 2008.

1. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

I'm getting tired of the MacRumors Forum theme. The colors, the layout, the graphics... they're just old and dated now. How about a more modern theme. I wish I could write CSS so that I could use a custom one for MR but, I don't know how. A while ago I downloaded a custom built CSS theme for DeviantArt and placed it in my Safari preferences and DeviantArt.com looked soooo cool! I wish I could do this for MacRumors too!

Anyways... check out http://forums.macnn.com/ and see what a refreshing difference that theme makes... it's modern and just generally good looking.

What are your thoughts? By the way... I like MacRumors and I'm not suggesting to switch to MacNN... I just wanted to point out it's theme.

2. Maxiseller macrumors 6502a

Maxiseller

I do like the macnn forum for just looking at - but in terms of actual use, it sucks.

It's not as clear, its not as easy on the eye...and I don't like all the overuse of the "web 2" fades, gloss and small text.

I'm all for a MacRumors redesign, but don't break the usability. It's not about the design, it's about the people.

3. saltyzoo macrumors 65816

saltyzoo

I'm not speaking for anybody but myself, but as the administrator of a different large forum, I know the more you screw with styles the more difficult it becomes to keep up to date on new versions of the software. Not to mention, using a more standard look makes it easy for everyone to find what they are looking for.

That said, hey arn, I notice you're slacking and a point release behind on vb. ;) Just teasing.

4. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

I'd like the option for other themes. I don't have much of a problem with the current one but I know other boards with at least 5 themes to choose from.

5. saltyzoo macrumors 65816

saltyzoo

Technically MR has 3 "themes" to choose from. Though they are mostly the same. Look at the dropdown on the bottom left of the page.

6. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

I still miss the old optional OS X theme. As an alternative, how about changing the current blue title bars to red when the new processors are released, as intel is changing them from blue to red, makes sense to me.

TEG

7. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

I've tried those before and they weren't different enough. I really wanted to like Smaller Font but my eyes just can't handle it.

8. tobefirst macrumors 68040

tobefirst

The site, including the forum, is in the beginning stages of getting an update. I don't know how long a process like this usually takes, but there was someone asking about it the other day.

I'm not too hard to please. I don't hang around MacRumors because it looks good, nor would I hang around more if it looked "better."

9. arn macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

While MacNN's theme is "pretty" I find it very hard to use over time.

arn

10. GroundLoop macrumors 68000

GroundLoop

I think that it would be nice to look at something that has a background/font combination that has a high-contrast for readability, but a lower intensity.

Black lettering a white background tends to tire out your eyes quickly. There have been a number of human factors studies that show that a dark slate blue background with a mid-yellow font is the easiest on the eyes while not losing any readability from a distance.

Just something to think about.

Hickman

11. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

I have no issues with the current appearance of MacRumors. I prefer functionality/ease of use over aesthetics/eye candy any day of the week. :cool:

If a change could be implemented without negatively impacting things, sure, but I don't believe MacNN is a good example of this after taking a look at it.

12. Hankster macrumors 68020

Hankster

I like the current board style. Simple, easy to read, and navigation is clear cut.

13. GroundLoop macrumors 68000

GroundLoop

I like everything else about this board except the color choices. My eyes start to bug out after a while. Maybe that means I am spending too much time on here.

Hickman

14. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

Yes, in that case the problem may not be the site itself, rather it may be your addiction and lack of other hobbies/interests... :p ;) :D

15. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

The only thing that I think really needs a update is the head of the page. Apple simply doesn't use those folder tabs anymore.

16. TheSpaz thread starter macrumors 604

TheSpaz

It just doesn't look like a Mac site. It's dull and boxy with dull beige colors with dull blues and square corners... it just looks out of place like as if it's stuck in 1997 or something. The tabs at the top also look cheesy and dated.

17. Hankster macrumors 68020

Hankster

Being a prior professional web designer/developer I'll take usability over fancy any day of the week and twice on Sunday. ;)

18. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

You must have read my previous post, we think the same! ;)

19. ::Lisa:: macrumors 6502a

::Lisa::

I like the forum style here. It's clean and crisp. Although, the site you linked me to. I like the rounded edges and the Mac icons. Other than that, I don't like it. I don't like the way it looks all squished together. On MacRumors, the categories are clearly separated, on the other, they're not.

20. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

Yeah, I prefer the readibility factor of MacRumors over the cited example.

21. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Same here. Well said.

The current version of MR is fine with me.

22. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

Well, you know what they say, great minds think alike! Hmm, I think there's a second part to that saying as well but I just can't remember it for some reason... :p ;) :D

23. MrSmith macrumors 68040

MrSmith

I think MR has a timeless, classic design, if you get my drift. One that isn't the newest thing, but one that won't become "so 1995". Best leave alone, I say.

24. Eric5h5 macrumors 68020

Or maybe you need a better display. ;) Print, after all, is black letters on a white background, and I've never seen a site that used the opposite that didn't look profoundly cheesy.

--Eric

25. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

That would be a good April Fool's Day prank for the MacRumors staff to pull though - just invert the colors of everything on the site. ;) :D

Or perhaps they'll just stick with the usual Page 3 rumors... ;) :cool: