Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Original poster
Jun 24, 2004
honesly i dont visit this site much, but in the past 3 weeks i have seen the forums of this site go down twice.

i think the admins should consider buying some more server power it is clear that what they have at the moment is not good enough.

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
It seems a little bogged down tonight but at times I've seen everything running smoothly with far more users incl. lurkers.

Strange. :confused:

Original poster
Jun 24, 2004
if you have a iTMS link i will buy a song using it, ot if there is a ad on this site i will click on it.

if you guys started providing services such as macosx.com then i might donate.

by the way if you got new servers why is the site STILL!!! going down?

Original poster
Jun 24, 2004
Blue Velvet said:
It seems a little bogged down tonight but at times I've seen everything running smoothly with far more users incl. lurkers.

Strange. :confused:

tiger is coming out soon, torrents have been flying around everywhere, and people are posting aboutgetting early copied.

i wonder why there are moe people lurking this site :rolleyes:

ham_man

macrumors 68020
Jan 21, 2005
The servers just went down for me, but I don't care. They are up now!!! :p

If you guys offered some sort of subscription I would probably pay for it...

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Mar 25, 2002
London, England
Blue Velvet said:
My thoughts exactly.

bobx2001 - Quit moaning. MR is not the commercial whore other sites have become. Servers cost money, the bandwidth this place costs money (and it uses a LOT). It's not a simple as have people click a few ads, and bam, a nice new cluster! Your concerns are valid, but you make it sound like it's a piece of cake to put right, when in a little place called reality it's far from it.

dotdotdot

macrumors 68020
Jan 23, 2005
When the site gets hosted on Dual Core PowerMac G5s with 3 GHz with 8 GB RAM, then the site will be faster.

Original poster
Jun 24, 2004
how about you guys charge for people to have avatars? better than being forced to have 500!!! posts.

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
Bergen, Norway
Maybe some anti-lurker measures should be considered :)

Attachments

• Picture 1.jpg
    Picture 1.jpg
    4.8 KB · Views: 126

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
dotdotdot said:
When the site gets hosted on Dual Core PowerMac G5s with 3 GHz with 8 GB RAM, then the site will be faster.
That would really be a couple/few dual core AMD Opteron Servers...

---

And bobx2001 don't click on the Google ads to help out, Google is starting to go after sites for click-fraud.

ham_man

macrumors 68020
Jan 21, 2005
Holy smokes that is alot of people!!!

Hopefully MR can get a new cluster of one or two hundred new Xserves... :p

Original poster
Jun 24, 2004
Mitthrawnuruodo said:
Maybe some anti-lurker measures should be considered :)

forcing members to sing up will just mean people stop visiting. or a huge number of idle account will be made. these forums have some great disucssions that people should be allowed to read without singing up.

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
There was an apache problem earlier today.

things should be smoother now.

arn

Original poster
Jun 24, 2004
edesignuk said:
Yup, maybe. Perhaps disabling their ability to use the search. Registered users only. Searching puts a huge load on the server.

give people good reason to sing up, dont force them. that is what seperates MR form spymac.

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
Bergen, Norway
bobx2001 said:
forcing members to sing up will just mean people stop visiting. or a huge number of idle account will be made. these forums have some great disucssions that people should be allowed to read without singing up.
Didn't mean to exclude them totally, but to cut them off from some features, like edesignuk suggested with the search-function and/or maybe limit/cut off their access to certain forums...

rainman::|:|

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2002
iowa
thanks for updating us arn, i did have a lot of connectivity probs earlier today. must say i do like the idea of limiting the search to reg users only... for whatever my vote counts :)

Original poster
Jun 24, 2004
or how about free weekly mac os x tips emailed to all MR members. that would make me want to sign up if i was not a member.

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
a little more info...

Apache was running very slowly earlier today when I posted the link into the Mac OS X forums. The load wasn't actually very high on the server at the time. I think I narrowed down the problem to an oversized log file.

After that, I had to restart apache... and it caused some connection issues on the forum.

Right now, everything seems to be running smoothly with >1000 people on the forums. Let me notice if you have more problems... but for now, I think we're ok.

arn

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
bobx2001 said:
or how about free weekly mac os x tips emailed to all MR members. that would make me want to sign up if i was not a member.

I don't think so. :rolleyes:

How about contributing because it's a great site and you want to see it get even better?

Honestly, I'll be really interested when the contributor scheme is resurrected, just exactly how many people who said they were going to pay up actually do...

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Mar 25, 2002
London, England
Mitthrawnuruodo said:
Didn't mean to exclude them totally, but to cut them off from some features, like edesignuk suggested with the search-function and/or maybe limit/cut off their access to certain forums...
Exactly. Still full access to browse the forums, just disable the search. I've seen quite a few other sites do it. Arguably searches put the heaviest load on forum software & their servers. Stop all the passers by from searching *could* help significantly, whilst at the same time allowing them full access to browse everything.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.