Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
It was tounge in cheek as it seems twood wins the majority of the challenges - but to be fair you did take the last 2 months. So there was nothing intended by it so please do not feel that way. Now will you guys please stop bickering and just have some fun...;)

It will most likely always be either one of you winning (using additional walking stats) - I do notice that your profiles are not open on the nikeplus site any reason for that? Just curious about all time mileages and average paces - it is neat to see - especially from folks who are atop the leaderboard.

Foggy76 you have been added.

thanks ziwi. i didn't mean to bicker about it, but he started bickering first. anyway, enough with that.

there's really no reason i haven't made my profile public. but since i walk with it sometimes, my average pace is way slow. but i guess i could make it public if you want me to

ziwi

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 6, 2004
Right back where I started...
thanks ziwi. i didn't mean to bicker about it, but he started bickering first. anyway, enough with that.

there's really no reason i haven't made my profile public. but since i walk with it sometimes, my average pace is way slow. but i guess i could make it public if you want me to

Nah, it is personal choice - actually it was a little dig on the walking thing...;) - makes me feel not as slow :p

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
It will most likely always be either one of you winning (using additional walking stats)

The only miles i record are running (training, workout, or what have you) miles.

I do notice that your profiles are not open on the nikeplus site any reason for that? Just curious about all time mileages and average paces - it is neat to see - especially from folks who are atop the leaderboard.

I didn't realize it was possible until recently, and didn't know how to do it until yesterday. My profile is certainly no secret though - I'd be happy to open it.

ziwi

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 6, 2004
Excellent stats QC. I can only remember when I could run at that pace. Good stuff. Any prediction for this months miles? 190 -200?

I am actually going to be way down this month (not that you were worried about competition from me :p )...my legs are hurting to the point that I am getting checked for stress fractures in both legs - results should be in on Monday or Tuesday - but I will run until they say that something is there.

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
I am actually going to be way down this month (not that you were worried about competition from me :p )...my legs are hurting to the point that I am getting checked for stress fractures in both legs - results should be in on Monday or Tuesday - but I will run until they say that something is there.

sorry to hear that. how did they check for a fracture? bone scan or MRI? just curious. i've had stress fractures before, and with a bone scan, something can show up when it's really not a total stress fracture (but you should probably stop if anything shows up though)

hope your legs start feeling better soon :)

748s

macrumors 6502a
Dec 14, 2001
Tiger Bay
Excellent stats QC. I can only remember when I could run at that pace. Good stuff. Any prediction for this months miles? 190 -200?

Hope everythings OK for you. Hopefully just a weeks rest. goodluck.

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area

thanks ziwi. It's actually a big step down from how I ran in college, but it is better than I thought I'd be able to keep up in law school. :) I am aiming to raise the bar a bit this month and hopefully start racing again this summer, but I also start work on May 21. The plan is to get up and run before work each day, which I've done quite a bit during the school year, but those runs tend to be a bit shorter because of time pressure. So we'll see how it goes.

I hope your legs turn out to be ok! I've never had a stress fracture, but I've had most other running-related leg injuries known to man, and it sucks. Not that you need the advice since you've already had medical tests, but you can usually tell a stress fracture by the acute, localized pain (pressing on the spot with a finger would be agony) and by the fact that it gets much worse as a run goes on. Some other injuries actually feel better as you go, but if it's a stress fracture, it would be pretty unbearable after a decent run.

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
well today my ipod told me that my sensor battery is low! i know i've used it a lot, but aren't they supposed to last a year or more? i'm pretty sure i haven't used 1,000 hours yet

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
Bergen, Norway
After a lazy April, I've been using this week to try and get back in shape by covering some distance... so today I thought it was time to take a poke at those 1 mile (8'06") and 5K (36'50", I think it was) records of mine... did a 10K walk as warm up and went for it.

Clocked in 1 mile at 8'00" and went on to demolish my 5K record in the same run, the new record is 30'40".

Needless to say I'm quite pleased with myself... :) :) :)

...and I think I'll be able to walk again some time around Monday... :eek: ;)

ziwi

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 6, 2004
well today my ipod told me that my sensor battery is low! i know i've used it a lot, but aren't they supposed to last a year or more? i'm pretty sure i haven't used 1,000 hours yet

Go to apple.com and hit support, enter your serial number and state your case - mine seemed to be on the fritz and they sent me a new one DHL and I had to send the old one back within 10 days - I did and there was no charge involved. If you have an issue give them a nod - I did not even have to use the phone...;)

As far as the legs - went had the x-rays and then ran 7 miles :p - maybe it is nothing, but until I hear it I will keep going - If nothing is found on the x-ray then the doc will open it to MRI/Bone scan - the pain is right above the ankles when pressure is applied in a singular point. Maybe it is nothing, but I figured I need to get it checked...

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
Needless to say I'm quite pleased with myself... :) :) :)

...and I think I'll be able to walk again some time around Monday... :eek: ;)

well congrats, that is great! Always feels great to get back in to shape!

Thrawn, I don't know who you are on MR, but that's some darn impressive milage so far! Averaging over 9 miles per day in May, which is a huge increase, and is certainly enough to beat me (if you keep it up for the whole month)!

ziwi

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 6, 2004

Thrawn, I don't know who you are on MR, but that's some darn impressive milage so far! Averaging over 9 miles per day in May, which is a huge increase, and is certainly enough to beat me (if you keep it up for the whole month)!

Agreed - saw that too, but I thought that about rumbletum last month when he popped a nice 26 miles up on day 1 before noon...

I guess it is better to burn outthen fade away...;)

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
I guess it is better to burn out then fade away...;)

That reminds me of one of my all time favorite quotes. (And it's at the beginning of a book I have about Steve Prefontaine, so I always associate it with running.)

Jack London said:
“I would rather be ashes than dust! I would rather that my spark should burn out in a brilliant blaze than it should be stifled by dry-rot. I would rather be a superb meteor, every atom of me in magnificent glow, than a sleepy and permanent planet. The function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.”

of course, anyone who applies this philosophy to marathon running is in for a very painful couple of hours... ;)

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
Bergen, Norway
Thanks, I try... :) but I'm not sure I'll ever get my original shape back... :p

Look at the mid part of my name... :D

Agreed - saw that too, but I thought that about rumbletum last month when he popped a nice 26 miles up on day 1 before noon...

I guess it is better to burn outthen fade away...;)
He-he... remember I'm a few time zones ahead, so that probably would be after day 2 here... ;)

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
Go to apple.com and hit support, enter your serial number and state your case - mine seemed to be on the fritz and they sent me a new one DHL and I had to send the old one back within 10 days - I did and there was no charge involved. If you have an issue give them a nod - I did not even have to use the phone...;)

As far as the legs - went had the x-rays and then ran 7 miles :p - maybe it is nothing, but until I hear it I will keep going - If nothing is found on the x-ray then the doc will open it to MRI/Bone scan - the pain is right above the ankles when pressure is applied in a singular point. Maybe it is nothing, but I figured I need to get it checked...

thanks, i'm gonna try that. maybe i can get a free one out of this deal.

good luck with your leg. it most likely won't show up on a regular x-ray. mine didn't. mine was right above my ankle also, and kinda the inside of my leg.

ziwi

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 6, 2004
It is only May 7th and we have a rouge leader in the competition this month:
Thrawn has thrown down 53.08 miles so far and seems to be a man on a mission.
twood and Qcassidy are too busy worrying about each other :D and it has kept them close but still trailing Thrawn so far with twood at 33.93 and QC at 27.08.

rickvanr and ziwi are making up the remainder of the top 5 with 26 and 24 miles respectively. (I know ziwi is going to finish outside the top 5 this month ;) )

17 of the 39 invitee's have registered some mileage - not quite half - so let's get on it...;)

In racing news, dsyntax is leading the mile so far with a 6' 34" performance,
in the 5K he also leads with a 20' 38 performance and in the 10K DKersten is holding the lead with a 44' 08" time.

MIles are already being covered in the various goal challenges of 100, 250 and 500 - please let me know if you want to be in any of those that you are not already entered in.

This concludes this weeks report of the Macrumors Nike+ May Flower Rumble. :p

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
It is only May 7th and we have a rouge leader in the competition this month:
Thrawn has thrown down 53.08 miles so far and seems to be a man on a mission.
twood and Qcassidy are too busy worrying about each other :D and it has kept them close but still trailing Thrawn so far with twood at 33.93 and QC at 27.08.

rickvanr and ziwi are making up the remainder of the top 5 with 26 and 24 miles respectively. (I know ziwi is going to finish outside the top 5 this month ;) )

17 of the 39 invitee's have registered some mileage - not quite half - so let's get on it...;)

In racing news, dsyntax is leading the mile so far with a 6' 34" performance,
in the 5K he also leads with a 20' 38 performance and in the 10K DKersten is holding the lead with a 44' 08" time.

MIles are already being covered in the various goal challenges of 100, 250 and 500 - please let me know if you want to be in any of those that you are not already entered in.

This concludes this weeks report of the Macrumors Nike+ May Flower Rumble. :p

haha, that's nice. :) that's a cool little report there. i like it ;) thanks

dsyntax

macrumors member
Jan 12, 2004
Norcal
has anyone had trouble with the challenge stats getting updated? I just went for a run that took my personal best mile time down but didn't change my mile time in our challenge. any ideas of what's up with that?

thanks!

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
has anyone had trouble with the challenge stats getting updated? I just went for a run that took my personal best mile time down but didn't change my mile time in our challenge. any ideas of what's up with that?

thanks!

it has to be the first mile of your run. If it's a later mile, the ipod will record it, but the challenge won't. Definitely something they should fix, as most people do not start their runs out going very fast.

swingerofbirch

macrumors 68040
I just ordered my iPod Nano (black, 8 GB) along with the sensor and arm band, and I already have nike plus shoes...so I'm getting ready for all this...I'm going to start off walking and hopefully as summer goes on start jogging. Do these challenges for number of miles include walking or just running?

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong

thanks ziwi, i took it in to the Apple store and came out with a brand new sensor :) can't beat service like that :cool: :apple:

emw

macrumors G4
Aug 2, 2004
I've accepted several of the challenges, and I'm hoping with my 1/2 marathon training I'll actually keep up with some of you. The hardest part is continuing to run while traveling. I need to get up tomorrow and run 4 miles in an unfamiliar city, so we'll see how it goes.

I'll probably peak at the end of June (the big race) and the tail off a bit for a few weeks.

I'd also be interested in seeing anyone's run elevations. Here's the one I'm doing tomorrow:

Picture 1.png

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.