Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
I agree, new format next month. The 2 team idea sounds good. I think everyone who wants in should just email ziwi, and then either draft or random (I don't care).

runningman

macrumors regular
Jan 8, 2003
Anyone struggle with the nike sensor outside of nike shoes. I tried it in nike shoes but my body didn't like the shoes. I then wore it in new balance and it did fine but was always off by about a mile per run. Now with Mizuno one run the sensor is right on to the mile and the next run it's half the distance then it's fine again. Any input?

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
Anyone struggle with the nike sensor outside of nike shoes. I tried it in nike shoes but my body didn't like the shoes. I then wore it in new balance and it did fine but was always off by about a mile per run. Now with Mizuno one run the sensor is right on to the mile and the next run it's half the distance then it's fine again. Any input?

do you have some kind of pouch to put it in? or do you just throw it in the shoe?

runningman

macrumors regular
Jan 8, 2003
No it's a pouch made for the sensor. It's only 8 months old I don't think I need a new one as I only have it on my running shoes.

rickvanr

macrumors 68040
Apr 10, 2002
Brockville
I have my sensor hockey taped to my Asics.

It stunk at first, but I calibrated it on a track and now its wonderful. My min/km time dropped by 1:30, and I'm actually finally getting accurate readings.

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
I have my sensor hockey taped to my Asics.

It stunk at first, but I calibrated it on a track and now its wonderful. My min/km time dropped by 1:30, and I'm actually finally getting accurate readings.

mine has still been up and down, as far as being accurate. works good enough for me though

Mudbug

Administrator emeritus
Jun 28, 2002
North Central Colorado
my time/distance accuracy seems to be fine after calibration, but I'm definitely experiencing a lot more iPod reboots lately. Anyone else come across this, or am I just "special" in the ed kind of way, not the k kind of way?

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
my nano just erased today's 14.5 mile run. I'm about ready to throw this stupid piece of junk out a window.

i also lost about a 10.5 mile run. believe me, i'm in the same boat. very frustrating

my time/distance accuracy seems to be fine after calibration, but I'm definitely experiencing a lot more iPod reboots lately. Anyone else come across this, or am I just "special" in the ed kind of way, not the k kind of way?

this is the problem i have. my ipod reboots. i found that it will keep rebooting until you plug it up to your computer and sync it.

is yours a 1G nano?

Mudbug

Administrator emeritus
Jun 28, 2002
North Central Colorado
no - 2G 2GB silver... here's the sequence:
1) plug it into my mac
2) it doesn't mount, so I unplug it
3) plug it in again
4) it reboots, and mounts, and syncs
5) eject from mac
6) choose workout
7) it reboots
8) choose workout again
no problems until I go to sync it again. this seems to be it's new MO. Oh, and it tends to hang up starting playing long audio book files too, causing it to require a manual reboot to release it from it's frozen state.

It's probably just my ipod having gas or something - if it gets worse, I'll think about having someone look at it for me, but that's a long-distance ordeal and honestly I'm not completely sure the cost of fixing something (after you include the gas to get it somewhere) would be less than just buying another.

ziwi

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 6, 2004
Right back where I started...
Sweat killed my original Nano. - I am convinced of it for 2 reasons...I wore it on my wrist and the sweat must have got in the underside and during the summer - vapor lock in the marware case - they don't even sell it anymore...so since then it has been a nano detached from body on a treadmill shelf...It is quite boring and I need to get outside again...so any ideas on how to attach it without getting it soaked in sweat would be good...the marware one had it's opening in the pouch close to the jack to plug in so I figure sweat got in there some how...even replaced the battery - dead nano...

As far as losing runs - are you losing them on the nano itself or during the upload process? There is a way to recapture your run if it was just skipped on the upload process. Basically move the skipped run back into the folder that needs to sync from the synced folders...and no it does not double count...;) if you throw ones already registered up there.

Random teams could be problematic - based on the parity of the individual runners. I will try get something up there for November based on math...

Applespider

macrumors G4
My sensor has been all over the place too. When I look at it while I'm running it generally seems sensible but there is no way on earth I'm running some of the times that are being uploaded.

I need to find a running track near me and see if I can recalibrate it. It's since the last iPod update that I think it's gone completely screwy occasionally. I've google mapped my routes and I don't think it's too far off on the mileage but there is no way on earth that I've run a sub-7 minute mile. I'd say even a sub-8 minute would be pushing it as part of a longer run.

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
Sweat killed my original Nano. - I am convinced of it for 2 reasons...I wore it on my wrist and the sweat must have got in the underside and during the summer - vapor lock in the marware case - they don't even sell it anymore...so since then it has been a nano detached from body on a treadmill shelf...It is quite boring and I need to get outside again...so any ideas on how to attach it without getting it soaked in sweat would be good...the marware one had it's opening in the pouch close to the jack to plug in so I figure sweat got in there some how...even replaced the battery - dead nano...

As far as losing runs - are you losing them on the nano itself or during the upload process? There is a way to recapture your run if it was just skipped on the upload process. Basically move the skipped run back into the folder that needs to sync from the synced folders...and no it does not double count...;) if you throw ones already registered up there.

Random teams could be problematic - based on the parity of the individual runners. I will try get something up there for November based on math...

i guess that's why i run with my nano in my hand....have you tried the new nike armbands? they seem to be alright.

My sensor has been all over the place too. When I look at it while I'm running it generally seems sensible but there is no way on earth I'm running some of the times that are being uploaded.

I need to find a running track near me and see if I can recalibrate it. It's since the last iPod update that I think it's gone completely screwy occasionally. I've google mapped my routes and I don't think it's too far off on the mileage but there is no way on earth that I've run a sub-7 minute mile. I'd say even a sub-8 minute would be pushing it as part of a longer run.

yeah, maybe you need to re-calibrate. but remember, whatever pace you calibrate it at, that will be the accurate pace. so if you run faster or slower, then the miles and stuff will be off

Applespider

macrumors G4
but remember, whatever pace you calibrate it at, that will be the accurate pace. so if you run faster or slower, then the miles and stuff will be off

I know... and I have some serious hills on my outdoor routes which doesn't help with the calibration either. I'm guessing that the extra speed downhill balances out the lower speed back uphill over the course of the run - but since I have to run down the hill to start with, that's potentially another reason that I end up with a fast first mile.

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
I know... and I have some serious hills on my outdoor routes which doesn't help with the calibration either. I'm guessing that the extra speed downhill balances out the lower speed back uphill over the course of the run - but since I have to run down the hill to start with, that's potentially another reason that I end up with a fast first mile.

well what i'm came to realize is that if you calibrate it at 7:00/mile pace, and then you run a 8-min mile, it will register faster than 8 minutes. now, if you run a 6-min mile, it'll register slower than 6 minutes

tkidBOSTON

macrumors 6502a
Aug 14, 2005
The Hub of the Universe
Okay, so I just bought a Nike+ kit...
How do these challenges work? Is there a team to join on the nikeplus.com website? I found this thread and it talks about distance challenges and all that but how do I find them? Sooo confused...
:confused:

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area

I lost it during the upload process. How to I move a run to another folder? I assume you mean go in to the nano's file system and find where it stores the runs... do you know how to do that?

well what i'm came to realize is that if you calibrate it at 7:00/mile pace, and then you run a 8-min mile, it will register faster than 8 minutes. now, if you run a 6-min mile, it'll register slower than 6 minutes

Exactly. As I like to say, it'll tell you your pace with 100% accuracy as long as you always run at exactly the pace you calibrated it at! ;)

tkidBOSTON, you just send ziwi a PM and tell him which challenges you'd like to be invited to. I'm not sure what we have going on right now, but the one that most people do is the "distance challenge" where you just record your monthly milage and try to have more than everyone else at the end.

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
I lost it during the upload process. How to I move a run to another folder? I assume you mean go in to the nano's file system and find where it stores the runs... do you know how to do that?

Exactly. As I like to say, it'll tell you your pace with 100% accuracy as long as you always run at exactly the pace you calibrated it at! ;)

i'm not sure exactly what he's talking about, but i assume you go into your ipod via the finder. you probably have to turn on "hidden" files or whatever

yeah you're right. but the weird thing is if you calibrate it faster than you really run, it'll tell you you're running faster and farther than you actually are

ziwi

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 6, 2004
i'm not sure exactly what he's talking about, but i assume you go into your ipod via the finder. you probably have to turn on "hidden" files or whatever

yeah you're right. but the weird thing is if you calibrate it faster than you really run, it'll tell you you're running faster and farther than you actually are

Correct (need to make files visible). Then you move the run back over to the non-sysnc folder from the sync'ed folder and upload again.

Here is the process:
If you have your iPod enable as for disk use, first make sure you can view hidden files in windows. Browse to iPod>>device>>trainer>>workouts>>Empeds>>“Serial Number of Nike+ kit”>>synced. In this folder you will find all the xml files. Look for the one with the latest date or the date of the lost run. Copy and past this file into the “latest” folder (one directory up). Then sync your iPod again. This should upload the data to Nike+.

Once again it will only work for 'lost' runs - it will not double count...as the nike site also matches it up for preexisting runs...

ziwi

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 6, 2004
OK - so this team thing is going to be interesting one way or another. I am going to set up a couple of different ones just to experiment.

One thought is Pro's vs. Joe's - you know the big guys versus the lesser ones many versus few...

Currently this month we total ~740 miles so far...
Last month we ran 1107 total

The problem is we have some spotty folks that are in one month and out or don't return - my list is close to 60...Last month we had 25 participants - this month we are at 21 - and each month there are a few new folks as well. So based on that it will be difficult to split the teams evenly.

So I was thinking as an experiment that we would take the total miles cut in half and one team is the runners that total close to half the distance versus the rest (Pro's vs Joe's), another one can be an attempt at equal numbers on each team and another can be a group challenge to go 2250 by end of year, but with holiday's maybe that should be 2000 mi.

Thoughts?

Also this will be an experiment for the 'resolution' type challenges for 2008 - one will throw resolve to a number and then based on that we will make teams to hit those goals so we can win in numbers and keep moving on. I also will leave a mile challenge on there as it will be an indicator of 'falsifying' data...I am thinking that we can just have 5K or 10K events from time to time...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.