MacRumors Readers Hoping for USB-C Instead of Lightning in 2019 iPhones

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Feb 11, 2019 at 2:12 PM.

1. CatalinApple macrumors regular

CatalinApple

I have a USB-C to Lightning cable for my iPhone XS and the lightning port is indeed a little bit wider and thicker. I hope they will release a lightning version 2. I am against USB-C as I think the future is a wireless one. They might get rid of the charging port in the future, which I don't mind.

2. OVERTASK macrumors 6502

I imagine most voting for lighting are just trolling anyway

3. JGRE macrumors 6502a

JGRE

USB-D will be the future. They'll have a USB-C mate with a lighting connector and there you are: best of both worlds.

4. ericinboston, Feb 11, 2019 at 3:20 PM
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2019 at 3:26 PM

ericinboston macrumors 68000

I'm not defending Lightning over USB-C but here are my thoughts:

1. We have 8 active iOS devices that use Lightning...and have owned several of these for more than 4 years...we do not have a single cable that is frayed or damaged. We unplug them and move them all the time. I have one in the minivan that's been there for 4-5 years and is wedged in the glove box door molding. We don't baby them...but we don't abuse the cables or adapters.
    2. Anything from Apple is super expensive to replace.
    3. You can buy plenty of Lightning cables for $7 on Amazon or similar stores and they work just fine. That $1.15 one on eBay from some person in China with 11 reviews? Mmmmm, probably not going to be happy with that purchase.
    4. We don't own a single device with USB-C. Apple people may, but I'm not sure about non-Apple fans. Besides our array of iOS devices, we have numerous Wintel laptops, Sony digital camera, some bluetooth speakers, etc. Stating "USB-C is the ubiquitous standard" is completely false, especially without any citations. And standard for what? And what industry is it dominating?
    5. If you've lived in the USA for the past 40 years you will know that there is a different adapter or a/c requirement for every electronic device. No manufacturer wants a standard power supply so that consumers can just use any old cord (for a lot of other reasons, too). The manufacturers thrive on the proprietary nature of power supplies and love charging you $39-$99 for a new supply when yours breaks/dies. This is true for everything that has a removable plug such as cordless phones, portable dvd players, Sony Walkmans, iPhones, laptops, wireless routers, printers, external hard drives, portable radios, rechargeable weed whackers, portable keyboards/pianos, dj mixers, etc. You name it, it's proprietary. And if you don't believe me, go ahead and play Adapter Roulette and see how your equipment works.
    6. Back in "the old days" of the late 70s, you could walk into Radio Shack and buy a Universal Power Adapter that came with about 10 various plugs and allowed you to also change the various wattages via a switch on the brick. I cannot find any pix of these on Google...just the ones from 10 or so years ago that don't do it justice. :) These were not super popular because there just weren't as many portable/chargeable things back in the 70s and 80s as there are now.
    7. Why are you complaining that you have USB-C that charges all of your devices except 1...and when you "pack" you need to bring the Apple charger? If you have USB-C powering let's say 6 devices on your trip, you're only packing 1 USB=C charger and 1 Lightning (unless you want to charge multiple at the same time). You really are stretching to complain about packing a 2 oz large Apple charger and tiny Lightning cable which my wife easily fits a few of these in her handbag. Moreover, you don't even need the power brick...just pack the Lightning cable and plug it into the trillion devices that supply USB power like power strips, wall outlets, hotel clock radios, cars, airplanes, etc.

5. GoodWheaties macrumors 6502a

GoodWheaties

Not all of us. I sure don’t want to have to guess if a manufacturer implemented the right USB protocols for headphones or whatever else.

6. Mac 128 macrumors 603

Mac 128

Why would anyone want to go to the great expense and effort to throw out and replace all of their Lightning cables, adapters and accessories, to replace them with USB-C, which may only be a short term transition to a fully wireless, sealed iPhone? Or worse yet, load up their life with even more Lightning to USB-C dongles to accommodate equipment they already have?

Why would anyone want to move to a standard which is far from easily accessible throughout the world, always running the risk of not being able to find a USB-C cable when they need it?

Why would anyone want to subject themselves to the confusion of buying the proper cables, and ensure they are not only compatible with the function for which they were purchased, but won't damage the device?

Why?.

Better in what way?

7. jamezr macrumors G4

jamezr

I want USB-C on the 2019 iPhones.....so I can use ONE CABLE to charge both my iPad Pro 11 and iphone....
    Why make us carry 2 types of cables?

8. npmacuser5 macrumors 65816

npmacuser5

With wireless everything, who cares. I rather doubt a port will be necessary in the future.

9. JosephAW macrumors 68000

JosephAW

Why hasn't Apple embraced the thunderbolt technology for their iOS devices?

10. tuhoops macrumors regular

tuhoops

Seriously, some of these comments explain why Apple gets away with packing a slow charging, tiny 5W charging brick and an antiquated USB A to lightning cable with a fast charging capable $1000+ phone.

11. Westside guy macrumors 603

Westside guy

12. 12vElectronics macrumors 68040

12vElectronics

I heavily care about this. No USB-C, no upgrade for me.

13. ThatGuyInLa macrumors 6502

ThatGuyInLa

PLEASE. It has been so nice to not have charging anxiety around the house. My MBP and iPad Pro as well as some PC gadgets all use Type C. It’s soooo nice.

14. rpat701 macrumors regular

Now that's courage.

15. tridley68 macrumors 6502a

tridley68

took the words out of my mouth i throw away a cable away at lease every two to three months.

16. ajfahey macrumors regular

ajfahey

I've been divesting my self from my Apple stock holdings. Apple has forgotten how to innovate and have remembered how to return from the Scully management strategy that Jobs had to rescue Apple from. The big difference this time? Jobs is gone so there's no-one available to rescue Apple from it's own managerial incompetence which is more focussed on virtue signaling that technology, even the really easy stuff like a USB-C connector that can handle both charging and data speed. They would actually be better off getting rid of the lightning all-together by moving entirely to wireless charging and data connection technologies.

17. Think creative macrumors member

when I travel I like to carry a laptop, my phone, iPad, and sometimes a gaming system (switch or 3DS). my iPad is an air 2, so right now, lightening is fine. My current laptop (and the one I'm about to get) will have magsafe. But if I upgrade my phone, and iPad this year (and I'm thinking about it) and both have lightening so I can always just carry two cables, man that would be nice. so lightening can go. Also, the tech tubers will stop complaining about it when they talk about mac stuff.

18. B4U macrumors 68000

B4U

Lightning's physical connection is more solid than USB C.
    I have yet to find a USB C connection that does not wiggle.

19. nitramluap macrumors regular

Not quite... the lightning port is far more rugged and doesn't have a flimsy & breakable central section in the port (female side). It also sits tight - USB-C wiggles and it's really annoying - sometimes the connection breaks too.

I'm pretty sure Apple was involved in the development of the USB-C specs and Lightning precedes it by a while. It was introduced as Apple needed a connector that was robust, fast and small when it was clear the 30 pin dock connector was antiquated and USB-C just wasn't ready for prime time.

20. s15119 macrumors 68000

s15119

Just remove the ports altogether. Wireless is the way to go.

21. cult hero macrumors 6502a

cult hero

Doubt they switch. It made total sense to do with the iPhone 7. If you’re gonna drop the stereo jack and and bring a new standard connector for audio devices, that was the time, especially considering that just a couple months later Apple would go all in on the connector on their laptops and was already sporting the 12” MacBook.

Now we have a mountain of Lightning earbuds and other things. While I’d love to see USB-C, I’ll be surprised if it happens.

The iPhone X would have been another good time to do it if you wanted to be half in, half out. Release the 8 with Lightning and the X with USB-C.

In my opinion Apple really botched the USB-C transition if they intended to do it on their phones. I think people are reading too much into the iPad Pro making the move. While both devices use iOS, the general use case where accessories are concerned don’t overlap a whole lot.

I’d love it if they did. I’m not a fan of Lightning at all. The exposed pins have lead to a lot of non or partially functional cables for me. I was happy to see something sleeker than the old 30-pin connector but USB-C is vastly superior.

22. Michael383 macrumors 6502a

Whatever Apple decides to do is fine with me. I'm looking forward to upgrading from my 6+ this year.

23. cult hero macrumors 6502a

cult hero

With a matte finish so they dry out and split faster than everything else. OEM Apple white cables are the worst.

24. mavericks7913 macrumors 6502a

1. Fast data transfer 10gb/s
    2. Can charge up to 100w and way faster than the current one.
    3. USB-C port is protected unlike lighting port
    4. World standard. More accessories and possibilities

25. boodle macrumors regular

boodle

The smart move would be to go to USB-C in September. Legacy accessories are always a pain point but lack of USB-C will hurt sales more than anything else. Lightning was great and has served its purpose but it's time to move on.