MacRumors Readers Hoping for USB-C Instead of Lightning in 2019 iPhones

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Feb 11, 2019 at 2:12 PM.

1. lec0rsaire macrumors 65816

Lightning can stay. What they can do is only include a lightning to USB-C cable. It’s about time everyone upgrades to a notebook/PC with USB-C.

2. eeboarder macrumors member

eeboarder

Why would people want to stick with Lightning?

3. aaronhead14 macrumors 6502a

aaronhead14

Good! Glad to see MacRumors readers have some brains! USB-C is a necessity, Apple. We won't settle for less. We're sick of proprietary connectors that force us to buy additional cables for no good reason. USB-C is important because it has the potential to become the first true universal connector. Make it so! Bring it to iPhone!

4. gavroche, Feb 11, 2019 at 6:28 PM
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2019 at 6:35 PM

gavroche macrumors 65816

gavroche

Was anyone using USB-C when Apple started using lightning? (sincere question, can't remember).
    If I was to wager, I would say that Apple regrets using Lightning. Now they are trying to decide when to switch back. And wasn't there an article here recently talking about there finally being certified third party cables coming... boy would those companies be pissed if the switched back now.

5. aaronhead14 macrumors 6502a

aaronhead14

No, Lightning existed well before USB-C. USB-C is only about 3-4 years old. Also, Lightning used to be far superior to what Android phones could offer, because it was reversible, unlike microUSB. But now, there's absolutely no fathomable reason to stick with Lightning. We've grown up as a society, and most people want consistent cables across all their devices. USB-C all the things!

6. mlody macrumors 6502a

Because 10+ devices that my family has are all lighting. This means 20+ lightning cables are laying around the house, cars, backpacks, work places etc.

Give me a single reason why I would want a new cable/port on a iOS device? How will that benefit my family and my day by day usage???

7. gavroche macrumors 65816

gavroche

Don't worry, class action lawsuit coming....

8. bryan1andersons macrumors newbie

I get what you were saying however when the vocal minority find distaste in a product that does influence general sales

9. Lozza013, Feb 11, 2019 at 6:52 PM
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2019 at 7:19 PM

Lozza013 macrumors member

Lozza013

For me personally I don't really care as this point in time although I wouldn't be fussed if Apple went down the path of USB-C across all devices.

10. gaximus macrumors 6502a

1. It’s not reliable, Apple cables frey all the time, also not an industry standard. Cable companies have to pay apple to make the cables... for apple.
    2. More buying options, can use friends android charger to charge your iPhone. Public charging stations will be all usb c in the future, so less likely the one you need isn’t broke.
    3. All of 2 + no need to swap out cables when charging you Mac, iPad Pro, and iPhone. As a developer I plug in my test devices without chasing down a cable only to realize it’s to the wrong device(expecially helpful for developers that code both iOS and android
    4. Apple would have incentive to allow faster transfer speeds as a reason for them upgrading (to appease the people mad at the switch, lot of uproar when switching from 30 pin to lightning, even though nobody would want to go back now)
    5. When purchasing a $1000+ device I want it to be as compatible with other devices as possible and also not being stuck buying apple certified cables. I want cheap cables that are industry standard certified.

Yes it will suck to swap out all the current cables, my CarPlay setup I plugged into the back of my head unit and fiberglassed the lightning end into a custom phone holder. This will be at least a days worth of work to swap out, but will be worth it if it gives me the option to change out my phone in the future(most likely not)

11. Black Tiger, Feb 11, 2019 at 7:09 PM
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2019 at 7:14 PM

Black Tiger macrumors 6502

The lightning cable was a strong inspiration for USB-C (multi-function, reversible etc). Apple was part of the group that designed USB-C, but we’re tired of waiting for that connector to hit the market. But as they were on the consortium, they certainly aren’t against it. However, I’m sure I read somewhere that Apple has stuck with lightning as the connector is smaller and, especially on the phones, the space is tight. On an iPad it’s less of an issue obviously. Now, having said all of that, it is harder over time for Apple to have credibility on moving to USB-C only on notebooks and it’s perceived advantages when their top selling product doesn’t ship with this out of the box. Would Apple instead move to USB C to lightning as the pack-in cable with the USB C charger to solve the connector size problem? Obviously the other benefits of USB C would be missed, such as fast data transfer, but I suspect that most people just use the cable for charging. Also, while the lightning connector is proprietary, Apple has been shipping phones with industry standard Qi since 2017. It’s anyones guess what Apple will do, but it is definitely possible that Apple may find a way to fit USB C into the next phones. Thickening the phones slightly would have other benefits. Historically Apple has avoided this, but this could be one rare occasion where Apple chooses to increase the thickness to accommodate things like USB C.
    --- Post Merged, Feb 11, 2019 at 7:13 PM ---
    Your points are most compelling, and the main reason to justify Apple’s decision to move to USB C-only on its notebooks (a forward-thinking decision that was criticized at the time but makes more and more sense). USB C is also the first industry standard cable that is reversible, supports all needs (data transfer, charging, video, audio, etc), is compact, and backwards compatible with older connector types. Apple can push the envelope on USB C that much more by moving to that cable type. They might want to include an adapter for USB A in the box to ease the transition though.

12. doctor-don macrumors 65816

Unlike when lightning cables first were introduced, so far as the post you made I have not seen one misspelled term - no lightening.

13. redneckitengineer macrumors 6502

redneckitengineer

I refuse to have Twitter so Iiaa the polls, but I agree that USB-C would be a welcome addition. It would help in how many chargers I have to pack in my luggage. Outside of hotel radio docks I see no hardship for me if they convert.

14. Blaze4G macrumors 65816

Apple fans: "wireless is the future, it's about time to dump the headphone jack. Usb-c is the future, about time the MacBooks only have usb-c".

Also Apple fans: "pfft I don't care about USB-C, why move to the port of the future".

15. palmerc2 macrumors 68000

palmerc2

What’s the major benefits to having USB-C instead of lightning?

16. maverick2007 macrumors regular

17. redpandadev macrumors regular

I always assumed that the next port change for iPhone would be to remove all ports and rely on wireless alone.

Guess the only problem I see with this is cost of including a wireless charger in the box. There's no compelling reason to connect with a wire to anything at this point. Wireless technologies are fast enough, secure enough, and provide enough power to completely replace any port.

18. simonmet macrumors 68000

simonmet

Lightning is a really well designed port physically. It’s rugged and reliable. Having said that it makes sense to switch. I’ve heard device makers say they refuse to use Lightning because Apple’s licensing is too invasive and onerous.

I just hope the USB-C port is as rugged. Micro-USB is woeful in that regard: the worst port ever invented.

19. Neepman macrumors 6502

I have no idea what people do to cables. I have had dozens of devices always as a mobile user often with several "stops" a day and taken them all over the world and I have NEVER had even one cable fail. 30 pin, Lightning, Magsafe, Micro USB, whatever....

20. germinator macrumors regular

It's very clear: Do not buy any iPhone with a lightning connector.

21. Zwhaler macrumors 604

Zwhaler

I love the title of this thread. It's like "Apple, if you're reading this..."

22. coolfactor macrumors 68040

It would be cool if somehow Apple managed to create a truly *universal* port that accepted Lightning OR USB-C. But it would take up too much space inside.

23. cult hero macrumors 6502a

cult hero

I really feel like a lot of Apple’s “commitment” to the environment is more marketing than reality anyway. I’m not gonna say they don’t do good things but some of their design decisions are downright hostile. Why upgrade an old Mac with an SSD when you can throw it away and get a new one?

They’re better than say... Amazon, but it’s more about checking boxes than actually caring.

24. mavericks7913, Feb 11, 2019 at 8:56 PM
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 12, 2019 at 12:45 AM

mavericks7913 macrumors 6502a

Mac 128

1. You have lack of imagination. https://9to5mac.com/2018/11/07/ipad-pro-usb-c-accessories/ You can even connect a camera for tethering. What about SD card reader? a hub?

2. Do you even have proofs for that? How come you need to buy a lighting to USB-C and USB-C power adapter to charge iPad Pro for faster charging? You wont be able to charge faster with lighting port. The lighting port is outdated.

3. Gosh, the inner connector and pins are not protected. It doesnt have a cover like USB-C.

4. Your example does not mean everything lol. USB-C is widely accepted to replace USB-B and A type. Thunderbolt 3 is USB-C type.

Also, there are tons of accessories available. How come iPad Pro dropped lighting port then?

25. coolfactor macrumors 68040

I've had one Lightning cable break at the connector, but it was a non-certified cable. That's why Apple has the MFi program... to ensure that certain standards are met. So I think your argument is weak. If you _choose_ to purchase non-MFi products, you get what you pay for.
    --- Post Merged, Feb 11, 2019 at 9:01 PM ---
    Nice try. I suspect that you're not replacing these cables because of the connector, and that's what this article is about. You're right, though. Apple really needs to redesign their cables.