Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rocketman

macrumors 603
Macrumors had (BY FAR) the quickest updates ... while Engadget was slightly more detailed ... it was about 5 to 10 minutes behind during most of the keynote and I really really liked Macrumors auto update feature. Good job Arn.

Macrumors has several market advantages.

It scoops the news.

It makes no outrageous claims.

It summarizes and links to other sites.

It tracks the ACCURACY of site claims.

It really is the NYT of Apple rumors.

Rocketman

DrFrankTM

macrumors regular
Nov 8, 2005
Japan
Could you perhaps list the cost of a project like this? It might motivate people to donate to the site.

And yes, this is the next best thing from seeing it in person.

I totally agree. I've been an avid reader of MacRumors for a few years now, but I have no clue about how much it costs to run the site and whether the site is making any money. If the ads on the site don't cover all the costs, I'd be happy to make a small donation and I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one.

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Did you apply for a media pass and get turned down? I would take issue with that with IDG ... I didn't see any Engadget staff on TV TWICE discussing MacWorld Expo and I certainly consider this site news/news reporting. I'll bet Bill Palmer got media passes ... for iProng ... if so that's a severe injustice (vs you NOT getting one).

We were able to get a single unqualified media pass, which essentially means, no media keynote access, but access to other press events.

Not terrible, but not ideal either. I'll try to contact IDG now in the off-season to see what would qualify us. Obviously they can't let every "guy-with-blog" in, but certainly can't exclude on the basis of being a "blog" (since engadget, gizmodo etc... are blogs). I never really thought of MacRumors as a blog... since it was what is was before blogs became popular.

Perhaps more helpful would be Apple recognition, and media invitations to other events. not holding my breath on that one... :) but we'll see.

arn

BigPrince

macrumors 68020
Dec 27, 2006
We were able to get a single unqualified media pass, which essentially means, no media keynote access, but access to other press events.

Not terrible, but not ideal either. I'll try to contact IDG now in the off-season to see what would qualify us. Obviously they can't let every "guy-with-blog" in, but certainly can't exclude on the basis of being a "blog" (since engadget, gizmodo etc... are blogs). I never really thought of MacRumors as a blog... since it was what is was before blogs became popular.

Perhaps more helpful would be Apple recognition, and media invitations to other events. not holding my breath on that one... :) but we'll see.

arn

Any chance for you to list the cost of macrumors live and we could start a petition for you to get a "good" press pass. I don't know the exact number, but you really represent thousands of the Mac fans, many of them HUGE mac fans.

Macrumors has several market advantages.

It scoops the news.

It makes no outrageous claims.

It summarizes and links to other sites.

It tracks the ACCURACY of site claims.

It really is the NYT of Apple rumors.

Rocketman

amen.

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Any chance for you to list the cost of macrumors live and we could start a petition for you to get a "good" press pass. I don't know the exact number, but you really represent thousands of the Mac fans, many of them HUGE mac fans.

before people get on the petition bandwagon, let me just ask them nicely again and see where we get :)

as for the cost of the macrumorslive site...

Well, I'd wager we did it cheaper than everyone else with a comparable amount of traffic. We certainly couldn't have afforded it without the MacRumorsLive AJAX system Knox setup. I'll look into it.

BigPrince

macrumors 68020
Dec 27, 2006
We gotta come up with a better term then "Blog" for this website. Its really so much more and better then that. We should invent a new term for it. I am no where near as creative as some of the others on here so I won't even try to come up a cool term.

Next time your on the air you can tell them that your not a blog before you go on or tell them live we are not a blog. Until this lady used the term blog, I considered this a news site.

Peace

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier
Excellent stats and coverage arn.
Kudos to you!!

But.With the word "rumors" in the name of the website I see a very hard hill to climb in the world of Apple,Inc.

shoffmueller

macrumors newbie
Apr 22, 2005
That's great and all, but...

I thought the actual updates were pretty bad. They were a collection of sentence fragments that were hard to follow. While I applaud your technology solution to near-live updates, youu might want to make sure your actual content is near-readable.

granex

macrumors member
Jul 23, 2002
A few issues... I think next time we will offer both.... fast/transcription text and longer summary paragraphs. We probably will try to increase photo size... but the original thought was that smaller/more photos would give more of a realtime feel to it.

I think that this is the best solution. I kept macrumors in one tab and engadget in another. The format and updating on macrumors was far superior, but the content on engadget was much richer. Probably need a team of people. One doing the fast updates, one taking the pictures and inserting them into the stream, and probably two others writing more extended notes on the presented content (they could trade off and leap frog one another so that they didn't fall too far behind).

I rather just stay with macrumors since that is where I live ;). Then you put in one or two banner ads at the top and start charging some superbowl rates (you have the numbers now to attract someone trying to make a big splash with special advertising).

doogle

macrumors regular
Dec 29, 2003
Australia
I think that this is the best solution. I kept macrumors in one tab and engadget in another. The format and updating on macrumors was far superior, but the content on engadget was much richer. Probably need a team of people. One doing the fast updates, one taking the pictures and inserting them into the stream, and probably two others writing more extended notes on the presented content (they could trade off and leap frog one another so that they didn't fall too far behind).

I rather just stay with macrumors since that is where I live ;). Then you put in one or two banner ads at the top and start charging some superbowl rates (you have the numbers now to attract someone trying to make a big splash with special advertising).

...yes this is what I did (although AJAX had problems when I switched to reload Engadget).
You are exactly right - Engadget was richer but MR faster...somehow I feel like a teen when I am at Engadget :confused:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.