MacRumors WWDC/SF Bay Meetup - June 11th

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by janey, Apr 20, 2007.

1. janey macrumors 603

janey

(scrap the original post and the questionnaire)

alright. some of you have spoken, and the date and time almost everyone preferred was Monday June 11, after the keynote ending at 11:30am, for lunch.

Location has yet to be decided, but if this is still undecided (suggestions still welcome...) we could probably meet up at a Starbucks near the Moscone or at the Metreon and go from there.

Hope to see y'all there :)

2. szark macrumors 68030

szark

A WWDC meetup...what a great idea! ;)

We definitely need to arrange an offsite meeting place so other members who aren't attending WWDC can join in the fun.

I'd be up for a lunch or dinner gathering. The best night for a dinner meeting would probably be Friday, unless some attendees are flying home Friday night or early Saturday morning.

They haven't posted the evening activity schedule yet, but last year's was:

Monday: Opening Reception (6:30-8:00)
    Tuesday: Apple Design Awards (7:30-8:30) / Stump the Experts (9:00-10:30)
    Thursday: Apple Campus Bash (7:30-10:00)

3. MongoTheGeek macrumors 68040

MongoTheGeek

Its not so much where you are as when you are.
  4. williamschriss macrumors newbie

Hi Everyone,

I will be attending but I don't know anyone there. But it sounds like a lot of you know each other already! :)

How about trying to catch up during the breaks on the Student Sunday, it might be easier to find each other without the other 3000 developers there?! :)

Anyway, I did not expect to get the scholarship so am now trying to find some $$$ and a way to skip classes as uni is still in session in Aus!

Hopefully I bump into some of you there!

Oh, what are your areas of interest? I want to learn more about Cocoa programming and some of the sysadmin stuff!

Ciao,
    Chris.

5. williamschriss macrumors newbie

Has anyone seen the schedule for the Student Sunday yet? Am wondering what they have planned for us.

6. GeeYouEye macrumors 68000

GeeYouEye

Count me in, but I'd prefer it wasn't on Sunday... I've got a family member's high school graduation to go to and I'll be missing part of Student Sunday for that already. Despite having a job this summer already, I'd prefer not to miss the career fair either, and should we be going to one of the many establishments serving alcohol in the area.. well, I have to drive that night (but I'll be taking BART to the city the rest of the week).

FWIW, I know of a pretty cheap, quite good Dim Sum place on Folsom near 3rd Street. Maybe lunch one day (though we'd have to wait to see which lunch presentations are worth going to), or dinner Wednesday.

7. janey thread starter macrumors 603

janey

I'm thinking starting a topic this early may have been a bad idea, as we can't plan not necessarily knowing the final schedule! :)

@williamschriss, the thing is not everyone might be there or be available on sunday 'cause of student sunday. I was hoping sometime early in the week..but..

8. williamschriss macrumors newbie

I guess my thinking was initially not about some grand gathering. It was more, all students are expected to be at student sunday, they will be provided lunch...let's just grab a table together so we can chat and eat! :)

Nothing that requires any great co-ordination or anything like that. It just means that we know some others so you can look for a friendly face to sit beside later during WWDC sessions.

We can still organise something for a more convenient time when people get to hang out and unwind together.

Anyway, that is all I was thinking of...small, easy, no-fuss and let us know some others there. Bigger and better can be later...just my thoughts.

@GeeYouEye ...I'd hate for you to miss your sis's graduation...I think the proper get together is better during the week, when more people can make it.

--
    Oh, is anyone staying at the Apple recommended hotels? Or are there more "student budget friendly" places people will be staying at? :confused:

9. arn macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

hey guys...

MacRumors might need a little assistance with coverage, if you are going to the keynote, please contact me via PM. We are in specific need of EVDO access if you have it.

thanks
    arn

10. janey thread starter macrumors 603

janey

I'm sure many MR members attending WWDC may not be students and therefore won't be able to attend...Student Sunday has stuff you might want to get in on, workshops and such.
    Hmm, I'm staying at a hotel near the moscone. (I also couldn't find any roomies that were not male or that I would be comfortable sharing with...soooo...) but I honestly think even with the discounts, the pickwick rooms are pricey for a lot of people unless you are sharing.

A lot of folks are staying at nearby hostels, and there's a few people looking for others to share a room with on the student-dev mailing list.
    http://sfhostels.com/locations/index.php and http://www.hostels.com/en/availability.php/HostelNumber.17927 are two that've been named so far I believe.

11. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

I'll be there...certainly on keynote day and I'm sure other times throughout the conference. Pretty much any time is good for me, so name a time and a place and I can probably be there. I'm a local, so I'm very flexible. I can also do my best to answer any questions from those coming from elsewhere.

12. williamschriss macrumors newbie

Oops...I made the assumption that the meet up was a student thing as the other thread had people talking about their scholarship applications which was a student thing...sorry about that! :(

Where is the student-dev list run from? Is it a US thing? I would like to sign up for it.

Thanks for the tips with the hostels and everything. It is nice to be near others for these events.

I am looking forward to seeing everyone there. :)

13. janey thread starter macrumors 603

janey

Yeah, I mean I got the idea after reading that thread, but half the people who replied here aren't students!
    It's only one of many resources, but its the apple list for student developers (any and all, not limited to adc student members or anything).
    http://lists.apple.com/mailman/listinfo/student-dev

This kind of thing makes me wish I were male :rolleyes:

14. williamschriss macrumors newbie

You'll have a great time! :) (...who really needs to pee standing up anyway?! :p )

Just need to find where the fun is and camp out there...so long as you make it back to your room for a shower and change of clothes sometime! :)

Now to find an airfare over! :)

15. janey thread starter macrumors 603

janey

My hotel is a couple blocks away from the Moscone.

FYI, I can pee standing up. :eek:

That, and I'm going through a massive man-hate phase right now, so...

Check out http://farecompare.com and http://farecast.com for cheap prices :D There's a whooooole bunch of great resources on http://www.upgradetravelbetter.com/ too, like a whole bunch of links to sites like seatexpert that tell you where the best seats on planes are and such.

Edit: just noticed farecast is US only...soo...

16. janey thread starter macrumors 603

janey

there's no student sunday this year!

i doubt sunday would work for a lot of people, as mentioned previously in this thread, so there goes the idea of having the meetup on sunday :(

17. GeeYouEye macrumors 68000

GeeYouEye

Actually seems like Sunday's the best day to do it now. Just have it earlier in the day. I can't believe they canceled the Campus Bash on Thursday. :(

18. Silentwave macrumors 68000

I'd be glad to meet up with you guys! I'm going too :D

19. janey thread starter macrumors 603

janey

they cancelled the campus bash, but they're still doing something on thursday night.

now i wonder if sunday is a good day after all, if it works for you :)

20. szark macrumors 68030

szark

Looks like the cost cutting measures continue. (sigh) Somebody probably didn't want to pay for all of those charter buses. ;)

I wonder -- will they still give us a discount at The Company Store during WWDC week?

Sunday might be ok with me -- not sure when I'll be getting into town, though. Unfortunately I won't know until about a week before the event.

21. janey thread starter macrumors 603

janey

there's mention of a sunday-meetup-in-lieu-of-student-sunday on the student-dev mailing list :)

wonder how that'll work...

22. MongoTheGeek macrumors 68040

MongoTheGeek

Its not so much where you are as when you are.
  23. janey thread starter macrumors 603

janey

24. nateDEEZY macrumors 6502a

This makes me wish I were back in school already. :eek:

25. janey thread starter macrumors 603

janey

well, you know, I did include "SF Bay" in the topic cause I know there's a loooot of MacRumors people on here in the area ;)