Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

If you bought and own a Mac in Australia or New Zealand, your computer effectively now has warranty coverage for up to three years from its original date of purchase, even without purchasing optional AppleCare+ coverage.

mac-family-trio-lineup-800x323.jpg

Apple will now offer warranty coverage on most Mac parts for up to 24 months after its limited one-year warranty period, under consumer law in each country, according to an internal document distributed to Apple Stores and Apple Authorized Service Providers and later obtained by MacRumors.

Apple is complying with existing Australia and New Zealand laws giving consumers the right to ask for a repair or replacement free of charge if a product experiences failure within a "reasonable" amount of time after purchase.

Mac owners can inquire about service under Australian and New Zealand consumer law at an Apple Store or Apple Authorized Service Provider, but we can't guarantee that every employee will be knowledgable about this policy. The change in policy is effective from today--that's December 13, 2017.

Eligible parts include the display, battery, SSD or hard drive, RAM, logic boards, GPU, internal cables, power supply, and other electronic components, so virtually every aspect of a Mac is covered, according to the document.

Apple provides a summary of consumer law, its limited one-year warranty, and its optional AppleCare+ coverage on its website in Australia and New Zealand.

Article Link: Macs Effectively Now Have a Three-Year Warranty in Australia and New Zealand Under Consumer Law

Last edited:

BB8

macrumors 6502
Jan 26, 2016
Of course when prices increase further in Australia, that will be purely coincidental. Customers will pay for this one way or another.

Are the prices of Macs in the EU higher outside of the exchange rate?

Reactions: mw360

DaveP

macrumors 6502a
Mar 18, 2005
Are the prices of Macs in the EU higher outside of the exchange rate?

I don't know what you are comparing to, EU prices vs US or Australia. Based on past analysis done by forum members EU prices are slightly higher than US. Accounting for currency, import fees, and VAT, the difference is not great, but that has been the general conclusion.

The only way customers in Australia won't end up paying for this is if the impact to Apple's bottom line is negligible. As a short term thinking consumer, I'd love to get free stuff from Apple just because the government mandates it. But it doesn't work that way.

And if you live in the US and want an extended warranty, just buy one. If you don't then don't.

urtules

macrumors 6502
Jul 30, 2010
I believe what consumers need is choice and best prices, US has lowest prices for any Apple products, thanks to lack of regulations.

Last edited by a moderator:

Fiachers

Suspended
Dec 27, 2016
Of course when prices increase further in Australia, that will be purely coincidental. Customers will pay for this one way or another.

Give me a break. In Ireland, they don't even cover two years as per EU law, and the prices are already unbelievably exorbitant, regardless of taxes, import charges and other factors. They should follow local laws and people should stop bitching about it and making excuses.

BB8

macrumors 6502
Jan 26, 2016
I don't know what you are comparing to, EU prices vs US or Australia. Based on past analysis done by forum members EU prices are slightly higher than US. Accounting for currency, import fees, and VAT, the difference is not great, but that has been the general conclusion.

Accounting for those things, the difference is none. You are straight up delusional if you think an extra year warranty at Apple's "Apple Care" rates is built into the price.

Stella

macrumors G3
Apr 21, 2003
Canada
I believe what consumers need is choice and best prices, US has lowest prices for any Apple products, thanks to lack of regulations.

Actually its probably because the products are priced in US$ and then converted to other currencies, which normally works out to slightly more.

I'd rather have better consumer law generally, that applies to all products, not just Apple.

EDIT: I've just seen tzm41 post above. So, adding more evidence that your assertion isn't true.

-----
My experience is the opposite.. my last three Apple laptops have had several issues and required multiple repairs.

PC industry is going to be just fine with having to offer more protection for Australian and NZ customers.

This shouldn't be a problem for Apple because I never had problems with Mac in a first 4-5 years, but rest of PC industry going to struggle.

dampfnudel

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2010
Brooklyn, NY
It would be nice if we could get even two year warranties here in the US... unfortunately half our country's politics don't believe in consumer rights.

Two-year warranties in the US would probably signal the slow death of AppleCare and the profits that come with it. I’m sure Apple hopes that never happens in the US.

tzm41

macrumors 6502
Jul 11, 2014
Sunnyvale
Actually its probably because the products are priced in US$ and then converted to other currencies, which normally works out to slightly more.

I'd rather have better consumer law generally, that applies to all products, not just Apple.

EDIT: I've just seen tzm41 post above. So, adding more evidence that your assertion isn't true.

-----
My experience is the opposite.. my last three Apple laptops have had several issues and required multiple repairs.

PC industry is going to be just fine with having to offer more protection for Australian and NZ customers.

Yes... My previous MBP 13', 2014 version needed an SSD replacement out of warranty, which cost me a couple hundred dollars and multiple days without my working machine.

mrapplecored

macrumors newbie
Oct 30, 2015
Give me a break. In Ireland, they don't even cover two years as per EU law, and the prices are already unbelievably exorbitant, regardless of taxes, import charges and other factors. They should follow local laws and people should stop bitching about it and making excuses.

I love Apple gear, but... most Apple products are built in China and the shipping from there to any Western European country is probably the same and the Euro is the same all over, so there should be no price difference from Ireland to Italy. Apple should respect EU warranty regulations and for a modern device costing in the thousands 2 years really is not much to expect it to last!

Apple does not clarify on its website the warranty laws for each country it sells in, just what AppleCare costs, that is a bit cheeky. I applaud NZ and Australia for making a 3 years warranty period, consumer electronics in this day and age should be able to last at least that long before ANY problems begin to emerge. Having said that we have bought Apple gear as our computers have all lasted 6-10 years each, but not without problems (HD just died out of the blue on our laptop etc...).

Juicy Box

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2014
I have mixed feelings about consumer protection laws like this. I like the idea of stuff being covered for longer, but I also like the choice of paying for that extra warranty or not.

The one good thing about living here lol.

I am sure that the prices will go up, and there will be lots of complaints about it.

Every time there is a thread about price increases or the US prices being cheaper than (fill in what ever country), there are lots of posts saying that it is unfair. People quickly forget about VATs, regulation costs, and in this case, consumer protection laws when Apple increases the prices in their location.

Reactions: macs4nw

Defthand

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2010
By now, the average expected service life of electronic components should be well known. It’s ridiculous that manufacturers can absolve themselves of any liability for defective or subpar parts by declaring a warranty period of their own choosing. The warranty should be proportional to the quality level declared by the manufacturer. If Apple, for example, were to advertise that their laptops meet a defined industry specification for best-in-class parts, then Apple should back up that claim with a better guarantee. What do they stand to lose if their advertising claim is genuine? Meanwhile, a discount-minded manufacturer can declare a lower quality expectation for its product and have less liability for performance failures.

Last edited by a moderator:

DaveP

macrumors 6502a
Mar 18, 2005
Accounting for those things, the difference is none. You are straight up delusional if you think an extra year warranty at Apple's "Apple Care" rates is built into the price.

I agree that one would be delusional if they think Apple is building in retail Apple Care prices into the hardware prices. So it's also delusional to build up a straw man of someone thinking that.

Guaranteed Apple knows pretty accurately what warranty costs are for each product. So pulling number out of thin air here, if they know that an average MacBook Pro of particular specs costs $42 dollars in warranty repair costs for years 2 and 3, is Apple really going to just eat those costs because Tim Cook is such a nice guy?
[doublepost=1513184889][/doublepost]
God bless progressive-thinking consumer advocacy. By now, the average expected service life of electronic components should be well known. It’s ridiculous that manufacturers can absolve themselves of any liability for defective or subpar parts by declaring a warranty period of their own choosing. The warranty should be proportional to the quality level declared by the manufacturer. If Apple, for example, were to advertise that their laptops meet a defined industry specification for best-in-class parts, then Apple should back up that claim with a better guarantee. What do they stand to lose if their advertising claim is genuine? Meanwhile, a discount-minded manufacturer can declare a lower quality expectation for its product and have less liability for performance failures.

You are basically describing the current situation in the US. Apple declares a one year "quality level". A lesser quality manufacturer may declare a 6 month "quality level" if they choose. So is your gripe that Apple doesn't declare a higher/longer quality level?

And I don't follow your logic that declaring your own warranty period absolves them from liability of defective or subpar parts. They are liable, during their specified warranty period. Unless you are referring to companies with no warranty at all, which would be very unusual for electronics.

Macman8472

macrumors member
Nov 15, 2017
This shouldn't be a problem for Apple because I never had problems with Mac in a first 4-5 years, but rest of PC industry going to struggle.

I wish Apple would give something back to customers, instead charging too much all the time, as well giving a hard time to pc manufacturers, by giving a 3 year warranty on all products. My 5k iMac (2 yrs and 10 old) needed a new screen after 2 years, and a whole new logic board with a new fusion drive after a further 6 months. Worst mac for reliability but still the best mac so far in 25 years. I hope I don't have anymore problems. I was lucky I paid for AppleCare. I would have taken Apple to court for a rubbish product it wasn't for that. I spend £2.5k for my mac, so expect it to last at least 7 years before buying another one.

Juicy Box

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2014
Guaranteed Apple knows pretty accurately what warranty costs are for each product.
You are correct.
Anyone that has taken advanced accounting courses know that the estimated cost of warranty claims against a product is built into the price of the product. These estimated costs change from location to location based off factors such as consumer protection laws.

is Apple really going to just eat those costs because Tim Cook is such a nice guy?
I seriously doubt it, since Cook as Apple's CEO has a fiduciary responsibility to the Apple shareholder, it would be unethical for Apple to eat the costs of increased warranty claims in the future. This is assuming that everyone involved wants to keep the same margins....

Reactions: DaveP

simonmet

Cancelled
Sep 9, 2012
Sydney
**** yes. This is great news. Just made my next Mac purchase a bit easier.

I hope other countries can follow suit. Go AU+NZ!

Reactions: -BigMac-

b5stephen

macrumors newbie
Dec 31, 2016
I’m not sure why people think prices will go up. There is no new law here. New Zealand has had this law for decades. The difference is that Apple now has internal policies that fully recognise the Consumer Guarantees Act instead of consumers needing to bring Apple before a tribunal each time it disagrees with what a ‘reasonable’ period of time means.

DaveP

macrumors 6502a
Mar 18, 2005
I’m not sure why people think prices will go up. There is no new law here. New Zealand has had this law for decades. The difference is that Apple now has internal policies that fully recognise the Consumer Guarantees Act instead of consumers needing to bring Apple before a tribunal each time it disagrees with what a ‘reasonable’ period of time means.

Ah, thanks for the info, as the Macrumors article did not make that clear and I'm not very familiar with Australia. Though there may be increased costs to Apple fully complying with the law the cost, the cost will presumably be less.

Juicy Box

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2014
It depends.

If it is reasonably expected that warranty claims to be increase due to Apple's internal policies changing to reflect local laws, then a price change would be expected.

If this change in policy has little to no impact in warranty claims, then I would agree with you.

fairuz

macrumors 68020
Aug 27, 2017
Silicon Valley
Three years sounds excessive for full coverage. At that point you could have a broken battery from misusage. But the logic board and GPU oughtta be covered for that long by default because I've had plenty of lemon Macs that have given out for no reason outside the standard warranty.

LovingTeddy

Suspended
Oct 12, 2015
Canada

I also had no problem with my PCs. I didn't think PC industry going to struggle. My oldest PC was purchased around 2007. Still works after 10 years.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.