Macs Effectively Now Have a Three-Year Warranty in Australia and New Zealand Under Consumer Law

Discussion in 'Mac Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Dec 13, 2017.

1. tillsbury macrumors 65816

Agreed. The New Zealand law is strong and has been tested to show that a decent laptop has a "reasonable" life expectancy of at least five years. That's why it's more expensive to buy Apple gear in NZ, and why Applecare is somewhat irrelevant here. To be fair, Apple has always been good at this and rarely needs to be "brought before a tribunal".

This is just a note that makes it clear internally within Apple that they won't question anything under three years. On the other hand, within Australia this is probably something of an improvement as the law there isn't currently considered to be unquestionably three years.

2. colinchuang macrumors newbie

colinchuang

Don’t know why this is only being mentioned now unless it’s just been formalised. It’s been around for a while, even with phones and iPads, which are 2 years under Aus Consumer Law. It’s been good. I still get AppleCare on my phone and watch as it’s much cheaper to repair a screen with it, and the chances of breaking it are much higher.

3. tillsbury macrumors 65816

Certainly the linked page referring to cover in New Zealand on Apple's website has been there for many years. I read it in 2012 before buying my original Retina Macbook. Maybe it's just that MacRumors has only just found it...

4. scarecrowmac macrumors member

scarecrowmac

Is this 24 or 36 months?

5. charlituna macrumors G3

charlituna

these consumer laws have zilch to do with the warranty, which is serviced by Apple. They are about the seller to buyer. if someone buys from a 3rd party and something breaks after 1 year, Apple can still legally refuse to service it for free under these laws because you have to go back to the seller

6. macTW Suspended

Three years is a bit ridiculous. If there are issues by then, it’s either a defect deserving of a recall or user error.

7. tillsbury macrumors 65816

Indeed, and that's a critical point. In NZ we don't have Apple stores but we do have online ordering. IMHO it would be idiotic to buy an Apple product from a retailer over here, as you would have to do all claims through the retailer (who knows nothing), and then repairs through a third-party repairer (who are usually a bit iffy). Buying from Apple online you just ring them up and they deal to it.

In Oz you can buy from the Apple store and deal only with them. But you would be out of luck trying to get a fault repaired after more than three years.

8. Ries macrumors 68000

There is only warranty costs if you make a bad product :)
    --- Post Merged, Dec 13, 2017 ---
    User errors aren't covered by warranty. So 3 years shouldn't make a difference.

9. Music Ambulance macrumors member

Music Ambulance

And what’s more, it’s not effective from 13 December 2017—it’s would be 2014

10. Defthand macrumors 6502a

A manufacturer’s warranty is arbitrary and nonmandatory. When one is offered, it is not without retractions and limitations that favor the manufacturer. The issue is when you spend more to buy a “premium product” but the warranty is not commensurate with the cost of the item. For example, I bought a Mitsubishi DLP tv for $3500. A similarly sized plasma tv was less than half the cost. Less than 3 years later, hundreds of owners like myself experienced flawed circuit boards. The cost of replacement was $900 plus labor. Mitsubishi was sued. Still, the only resolution was an opportunity to purchase the next gen model for cost, provided you surrender your original tv for “study purposes”. The clincher is that the advanced, unproven tech features of the product were not the problem. It was a commonplace part that should have provided many years of service.

11. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

An additional 24 on top of the "base" 12, so 36 in total.

There was a recent thread on Geekzone where someone had a 2011 MBP (now considered obsolete by Apple) with the infamous GPU failure. He took Apple to the tribunal and nobody even bothered to turn up. The guy was awarded $2000 towards a new machine.

12. TheHammer macrumors member

TheHammer

Don’t forget about the free health care ;-)

13. Tucom macrumors 65816

Tucom

This, is brilliant. 100% in agreement.

14. haddy macrumors regular

Well a few years ago my BTO iMac's hinge broke (late 2012 27"). The new hinge and logic board were shipped from Sydney and arrived at the repairer (Imagetext Integrated Solutions) in Auckland in 4 hours!!!
    Repaired within the day...definitely not "iffy" more like unbelievable good!! and still working just fine. All under the Consumer Guarantees Act.

15. DaveP macrumors 6502

DaveP

If "the warranty is not commensurate with the cost of the item" then don't buy it. Or buy a third party warranty. Or understand the risk of bad things happening in life. Basically, do whatever you want to do. And that can include arguing for longer manufacturer warrantees on online forums to try to pressure companies to increase their warranty. But personally I don't need to government telling me I can only buy products with certain length warranties and deciding how long a warranty should be based on the perceived quality of an item.

16. Brandhouse macrumors 6502

If it falls under the change to Consumer Law, then yes, every person at an Apple store should be aware of this. You don't have a job and choose what you want to know and don't.

17. iMacC2D, Dec 13, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2018
  18. Thunderbird macrumors 6502a

Thunderbird

God I wish we had similar consumer protection laws in Canada. We still pay about 35-40% more for the same Apple products than the US.

19. dampfnudel macrumors 68030

And if you unintentionally stray away from making the best products at some point in the future to ensure your excessive margins or more to the point, focus too much on the short term gain.

20. msephton macrumors 6502

msephton

I'm in the UK and in October 2016 - thanks to Consumer Law - I got a free replacement 500GB SSD fitted in my wife's late-2013 Retina MacBook Pro. Less than one month away from the machine being 3 years old.

21. DaveP macrumors 6502

DaveP

Huh? Are you treating US and Canadian dollars as equivalent? I quickly checked a couple of computers and accounting for currency exchange the price on the Canadian Apple Store was less than 5% more in each case.

22. VictorTango777, Dec 13, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 13, 2017

VictorTango777 macrumors regular

Dell UltraSharp monitors have a standard 3 year warranty with advance exchange, with up to 5 year warranty available.

Extended warranties for Dell and Lenovo laptops include onsite service for up to 5 years. For the price of AppleCare for MacBook Pro, onsite service should be available.

Remember when everyone thought Apple was going to make a car? What would the warranty have been? Standard 1 year/6000 miles and 3 year/18,000 miles with AppleCare?

23. dotnet macrumors 65816

dotnet

This is nothing new, of course. The Australian Consumer Guarantee came into effect in 2011. It covers all consumer products, not just computers or electronics.

https://www.accc.gov.au/consumers/consumer-rights-guarantees/consumer-guarantees

This is also not an extended warranty. Manufacturer warranty and consumer guarantee are not the same:
    The key words here are reasonable time depending on the nature of the goods or services.

With the few out-of-warranty claims I had, Apple always came through and fixed them at no extra cost to me, even before 2011. Now, what constitutes a reasonable expectation of durability for any product has to be either agreed between vendor and customer, or in case of a dispute, established by the courts. Since 2011, ample precedent would have accumulated for the consumer laptop market. Also, I would imagine Apple being loathe to drag product defect disputes through the courts unnecessarily, and have apparently – via internal policy – decided that the reasonable expectation of durability of a MacBook is three years. This will cover most claims without involving red tape or lawyers, the rest will probably be assessed on a case-by-case basis.

24. szw-mapple fan macrumors 65816

szw-mapple fan

Its funny how I’ve almost exclusively have had problems with macs in the first year, but after fixing they last a long time afterwards.

25. Shaun, UK Suspended

Shaun, UK

Given the high prices of their products, Apple should provide a 3 year warranty as standard worldwide.