Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

procrit

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 6, 2013
I swapped out my HDD for the Samsung EVO 850 SSD and it has been a night and day difference.

I have been using the Macs Fan Control to control the fan speeds. What would be the ideal fan speeds (min/current/max) and temp settings for all of the components?

Attached is my current temp stats and fan settings (running Chrome only). I plan to run Adobe Photoshop and Lightroom on the iMac to process my photos etc.

Thanks!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-03-07 at 9.37.01 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-03-07 at 9.37.01 AM.png
    84.8 KB · Views: 2,657

AlaskaMoose

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2008
Alaska
I swapped out my HDD for the Samsung EVO 850 SSD and it has been a night and day difference.

I have been using the Macs Fan Control to control the fan speeds. What would be the ideal fan speeds (min/current/max) and temp settings for all of the components?

Attached is my current temp stats and fan settings (running Chrome only). I plan to run Adobe Photoshop and Lightroom on the iMac to process my photos etc.

Thanks!
nambuccaheadsau's idea may be the best way to go. In fact I already ordered the sensor and cable needed from "macsales.com". Anyway, I replaced the hard drive with a 1TB Crucial SSD on my late 2009 iMac (10,1 System), and decided to download and use "SSD Fan Control." The only time the hard drive fan makes noise now is when I boot the iMac; otherwise it is nice and quiet. I followed the instructions, which include to see which fan was the noisy one, and at that point to choose the SMART setting. The other fans are left alone and they are on AUTO. After that, I rebooted the iMac for the app to start doing its thing, and that was all.

I apologize for not being able to help with the app you chose.

If the sensor sold by "macsales" works as advertised, then it should be a better plan for me. The complete kit is a little expensive at $49.99, but it includes all the tools needed. Buying the sensor and cable alone costs $39.99, so I ordered the kit.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.