MacUpdate Bundle: Parallels and 9 More Mac Apps for $64.99

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Apr 15, 2008.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

MacUpdate has also launched their spring application bundle. Their latest bundle delivers up to 10 Mac applications for $64.99 (up to a $474.76 value if all purchased separately), and includes a number of unique applications, including the Windows virtualization software Parallels 3.0. The applications include:

DVDRemaster Pro - recompress large DVDs to fit on standard DVD5 disc, or for use on the iPod, iPhone, and Apple TV
    StoryMill - creative writing tool to outline, write and publish a novel
    Hazel - create rules to automatically sort and organize your files
    Art Text - create high quality headings, logos, banners, buttons
    MenuCalendarClock - iCal compatible menu-bar calendar.
    Leap - advanced file browsing and tagging
    Typinator - type common phrases and pictures
    Sound Studio* - record and edit audio
    BannerZest* - create animated Flash banners
    Parallels 3.0* - PC virtualization software for Intel Macs. Run Windows in Mac OS X.

This bundle sale runs from April 16 - 29th. As typical in these bundle sales, some applications are "locked" until certain sales thresholds are met. Parallels, BannerZest and Sound Studio are currently in "locked" status. These applications will become available to all bundle buyers once sales goals are reached. Historically, with these bundle sales, all applications have been unlocked with previous sales.

MacRumors is a promotional partner with MacUpdate. Bundle sales through these links benefit MacRumors financially, and provide a way for readers to directly support this site.

Article Link: MacUpdate Bundle: Parallels and 9 More Mac Apps for $64.99

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

I'll be skipping this one. I preferred last years.

3. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

meh. Aside from Parallels nothing really stands out.

4. fekimoki macrumors member

fekimoki

Yeah, I'm going to pass this. But the promo design is better if compared last year :D

5. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

Parallels Desktop alone costs $79.99. If it gets unlocked, it's like getting everything else for free.

6. macdim macrumors 6502

Hey, I'm new to this bundle stuff... but has there ever been a time when the "sales goal" was not met, and the applications remained locked?

7. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

We're Mac users. Who doesn't already have Parallels? :D

I understand the money you can make by parting out the applications you don't want but I'm not going to put forth the effort.

8. jackc macrumors 65816

jackc

Damn, I recently bought Leap in another deal, that would have made it more enticing.

9. Digital Skunk macrumors 604

Digital Skunk

Amen. This one is a bit more disappointing then the last. I guess the other apps would come in handy for some other folks.

Amen x2. I run VMWare, and a lot of my Apple using colleagues have either picked that up or Parallels soon after they got their Intel based Macs.

For the Intel user that doesn't have Parallels or Fusion this is a good deal based on that app alone. But getting rid of the other apps would be more a nuisance than a blessing.

10. overanalyzer macrumors 6502a

I agree that nothing on this list makes me jump, and while Parallels would be a great deal, I already have it and have abandoned it for VMWare Fusion. So there goes that.

EDIT: Looks like Digital Skunk had the same reaction as me.

11. Jenheta macrumors regular

Another one that will be sitting on the sidelines. I already have Parallels and it is sad to see it as the "big" prize. Actually, the upcoming version 4.0 will not be a free upgrade (US$ 50.00) so it makes the offer even worse.

Too bad. Well, things can be always worse. Worse as Macheist. ;)

12. ltcol266845 macrumors regular

OR who doesn't already have a legal version of Parallels? :eek:

13. keenan wolf macrumors 6502

keenan wolf

legal vrs illegal version of parallels

lol this guy has a great point i would like to know who has actually paid for their copies of parallels?

14. JasonK macrumors member

Well, I pay $30 a month for my high speed internet? Is that what you mean? :cool:

I might spring for it, I kinda want the descent dvd ripping software. The crapware I am using is soooo slow.

15. yetanotherdave macrumors 68000

yetanotherdave

Lots of people, including myself.
    Companies don't run on popularity, they need to pay their staff/costs.

16. Sub Minimal macrumors newbie

i don't have Parallels, legal or otherwise, and StoryMill sounds like fun.

obviously, suggesting i'm a newbie, i wonder like macdim - is there much chance of the sales quota not being reached and apps remaining locked?

particularly given the number of 'passes' in this thread ...

17. TimelessWind88 macrumors newbie

Seeing as how I only use Windows for 3D games and the occasional app that isn't OS X supported, I'll have to pass on Parallels. Once Parallels is able to run the majority of PC games native-speed though, I'll probably buy it and uninstall Boot Camp. I look forward to the day when I don't have to restart to Windows just to play Final Fantasy XI :D :D

18. firstapple macrumors 6502a

firstapple

Heck, I got fusion for 1.99 a few weeks ago on amazon; 51.99 - 30 for signing up for their credit card - 20 mail in rebate from vmware (and free shipping)!

Nothing here is enticing at all. Great for newbies or those switching over to intels, but other then that... Meh

19. ezekielrage_99 macrumors 68040

ezekielrage_99

That's what I was thinking.

Also I think this is a far better pack than the MacHeist bundle, it actually has stuff that I'll use opposed to a really cheap package with applications that I might have a use for.

20. MagnusVonMagnum macrumors 603

MagnusVonMagnum

So if they don't meet their sales goals, you're basically screwed and don't get many of the apps they're claiming to offer? Sorry, I'll pass on BS like that.

21. Westside guy macrumors 603

Westside guy

I find MenuCalendarClock useful - I bought it quite a while ago. Since I own that already, as well as VMware Fusion (legally purchased of course!) there's not much in this bundle for me.

The fact that Parallels is locked right now would spook me, though. If I didn't have Fusion, I'd look at this bundle... maybe after Parallels get unlocked. :cool:

22. Kwill macrumors 68000

Kwill

The last MacUpdate bundle netted me many applications I have yet to use. I would hate for this one to do the same.

Before purchasing an Intel iMac myself, I installed Parallels on a friend's iMac. Since then, I have been more inclined to try Fusion but am still sitting on the fence and really only have one or two apps for Windows anyway. Hazel and Typinator are the other two apps I could get used to.

I installed the Hazel demo and like it very much - easier to use than Automator for designated tasks. Perhaps the deciding factor is whether Parallels becomes unlocked, which is very likely (as all were unlocked in the prior bundle). :rolleyes:

23. andiwm2003 macrumors 601

andiwm2003

sounds like a good bundle to me. the emphasis is on useful apps. i'm going to watch this closely and maybe i'll buy it if all apps get unlocked.

24. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

Not bad bundle (much better than MacHeist's retail bundle), but like almost everyone else in the thread, I feel Fusion > Parallels, and everything else doesn't really interest me all that much.

So yeah. *roots from the sidelines*

25. aLoC macrumors 6502a

What % of the profit are the developers getting? Not less than the organizers I hope.