Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Island Dog

macrumors 6502a
Sep 11, 2005
St. Cloud, FL.
I'm going to have to think about this. I wouldn't mind getting Parallels, but I agree a new version is just around the corner. I guess I will download some of the trials and see how they are.

uMac

macrumors 6502
Mar 27, 2007
Canada
I think this bundle has a lot to offer me (Photographer/Writer).

Anyone have success using Storymill, Art Tex, BannerZest?

Parallels is interesting, but as I don't use XP much I will likely just load a copy though bootcamp for the occasional gaming.

DaBrain

macrumors 65816
Feb 28, 2007
ERIE, PA
Another one that will be sitting on the sidelines. I already have Parallels and it is sad to see it as the "big" prize. Actually, the upcoming version 4.0 will not be a free upgrade (US$ 50.00) so it makes the offer even worse.

Too bad. Well, things can be always worse. Worse as Macheist. ;)

Wow $50 for the upgrade? No Thanks, I'll stick with boot camp. Actually I have VMWare and Parallels, but after using boot camp I really have no need now for either software virtualization. $50 for the upgrade is crazy, but oh well! :rolleyes:

It will be very interesting to see how fast 4.0 comes out after this bundle offer expires! Looks like another money grab by Parallels. I had it with their updates and then switched to VMWare. However, both lack a lot of direct x support which is minimal. Now with Boot Camp I no longer have that issue and the price for boot camp can't be beat!

stokessd

macrumors newbie
Jan 24, 2008
If the locked apps don't get unlocked, it's not too appealing for my needs. But if they all get unlocked, then it's actually pretty sweet for me. I've been using a bootleg copy of parallels for a while now, and I like to have my core software "proper". If I were to buy this and parallels isn't unlocked, I'll be a sad puppy.

Sheldon

jmorrison0722

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2007
Cupertino
I agree that nothing on this list makes me jump, and while Parallels would be a great deal, I already have it and have abandoned it for VMWare Fusion. So there goes that.

EDIT: Looks like Digital Skunk had the same reaction as me.

Do you mind me asking, what about VMWare Fusion do your prefer to Parallels? I'm a Parallels user myself, but have never tried Fusion...wonder what I'm missing?

This deal is much, much, much better than MacHeist this year. I've been thinking about getting Leap, and Sound Studio and Art Text look pretty cool. Problem is, with this and all bundles, I already have the big prize app. So the question is, would I consider buying a couple of the others to make the $65 worth it? If I had to pay full price, would I buy any of the others?

jonnylink

macrumors 6502
Jul 15, 2007
I'm not into this bundle either. I had been waiting for a deal to get a legit copy of parallels, but then parallels stopped connecting to the internet (it doesn't seem to like pppoe) and has a slew of other bad things that made me discontinue use. Glad I always give applications a good long testing before making the purchase!

I feel bad that I can't help at MacRumors this time, but the bundle is pretty lame looking from where I am standing.

guzhogi

macrumors 68040
Aug 31, 2003
Wherever my feet take me…
Parallels is tempting as well as StoryMill b/c my dad's a writer. Other things are kinda meh. Probably fun to play w/ for 5 minutes but I probably wouldn't use them again. The problem w/ Parallels, for me at least, is there's a new version coming out soon, plus if I ever run Windows, it'll probably be just for games and I could just use Boot Camp. Having to restart my computer isn't that important to me. Though the DVD ripper one looks interesting too.

dXTC

macrumors 68020
Oct 30, 2006
Up, up in my studio, studio
Parallels looks pretty tempting to me. I'm running XP on Bootcamp right now.

Does anyone know whether Parallels 3 can use my Bootcamp XP partition as its virtual machine? (I'd rather not clog my hard drive with two Windows installs.) Or is it VMWare Fusion that does this?

Jiddick ExRex

macrumors 65816
May 14, 2006
Roskilde, DK
Parallels looks pretty tempting to me. I'm running XP on Bootcamp right now.

Does anyone know whether Parallels 3 can use my Bootcamp XP partition as its virtual machine? (I'd rather not clog my hard drive with two Windows installs.) Or is it VMWare Fusion that does this?

It does and it even offers to make it a virtual machine the instant you install it. I don't know how well it copes with the Windows Product Activation though. I went through 5 keys with VMware Fusion when I tested it and swore I would never do this again :mad:

How many bundles need to be sold in order for Parallels to be unlocked? It looks like it's only SoundStudio that gets unlocked when 5000 is sold...

EagerDragon

macrumors 68020
Jun 27, 2006
MA, USA
Hey, I'm new to this bundle stuff... but has there ever been a time when the "sales goal" was not met, and the applications remained locked?

I think most times they meet the goal but I can not swear to it.

However this time around it may not happen, I and others do not seem to find anything in the bundle that either we do not have or that we really need.

It is a gamble.
Flip a coin.

QUESTION to all members:
I need a good reputable laptop repair shop, private message me if you like to recommend a place to send my laptop to. (need new dvd drive, need upgrade HD).

Retired
May 16, 2006
Do you mind me asking, what about VMWare Fusion do your prefer to Parallels? I'm a Parallels user myself, but have never tried Fusion...wonder what I'm missing?

Its faster, and OSX ran smoothly at the same time as XP on a CD 2.0 1GB, unlike with Parallels.

I also had quite a few errors with Parallels, and never had a problem with Fusion.

RaceTripper

macrumors 68030
May 29, 2007
Please. Turn down the fanboyism and ignorance....
+1
You said it, and I was thinking it.

I for one have to use Windows to access a secure Exchange server via a proprietary VPN client. Without Parallels/Fusion, I would not be able to use my Mac at all for work & would have to go back to using a full Windows machine. That is less desirable.

Dreamer2go

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2007
I got a question about parallels

I already have boot camp with a separate partition (called Windows HD) for the windows

can I use parallels and access my entire windows HD that way?

Apr 17, 2005
Currently in Switzerland
So if they don't meet their sales goals, you're basically screwed and don't get many of the apps they're claiming to offer? Sorry, I'll pass on BS like that.

Ditto here, those "conditional" offers don't entice me at all.

There are only TWO apps that may be of interest to the general public...Parallels and DVD Remaster (which I already own and works reasonably well).

However, with people saying that Parallels 3.0 is gonna turn old soon due to a PAID upgrade to 4.0, I'd rather get a REALLY "free 'older version' app" from MacFormat cover DVDs...:rolleyes:

RaceTripper

macrumors 68030
May 29, 2007
I got a question about parallels

I already have boot camp with a separate partition (called Windows HD) for the windows

can I use parallels and access my entire windows HD that way?
Yes. You can also do it with VMWare Fusion. That's how I've always used it.

dXTC

macrumors 68020
Oct 30, 2006
Up, up in my studio, studio
WHAT! why would you want parallels? I take it you have a mac right, what you use parallels for?

Apparent fanboy-isms aside, I'd like to answer the question. I use Windows on my Mac for two reasons:
(1) VPN into work and administering servers via pcAnywhere and Microsoft RDP client. My workplace has not purchased pcAnywhere 12 yet (which has a Mac client), so I can't pcAnywhere from OS X. I'd really like to be able to handle an on-call emergency without having to reboot into Bootcamp.
(2) Cakewalk SONAR Producer Edition, a professional-grade digital audio workstation like Logic Pro. It's Windows-only, and I have too much money and music work invested in Cakewalk to replace it outright.

For almost everything else, I use OS X. It just feels more... right, somehow.

(In the interest of full disclosure: My iPod nano is still synced to my older PC, but I've just finished re-ripping my CD collection to AAC and copying over my other tracks to my iMac. When I get all the correct artwork, I'll sync my iPod to my iMac-- as it should be! :D)

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
It is a gamble.
Flip a coin.

I don't think it's much of a gamble. First off - I have no inside knowledge of how this bundle unlocking works, etc...

that being said.... for all of these bundle sales, the apps have always been unlocked. It's in everyone's best interest.

I would be shocked if all the apps didn't get unlocked.

arn

aliquis-

macrumors 6502a
May 20, 2007
We're Mac users. Who doesn't already have Parallels? :D

I understand the money you can make by parting out the applications you don't want but I'm not going to put forth the effort.
I don't, I'm a mac user, not a Windows user. And I'd prefer it that way, or I wouldn't had bought this mbp.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.