Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Umbongo

macrumors 601
Sep 14, 2006
England
I know that the Mac Pro is due for an update and that people on here have been stupidly waiting a year for it. I never said it wasn't going to happen.. I said it wouldn't happen during the main keynote. They haven't announced any minor speed bumps at keynotes since the switch to Intel.

Everyone thought the MBPs were going to get updated to SR at WWDC this past summer, but they were silent refreshed the week before. They're only going to announce it at a conference if it's some radical changes, which it's not going to be.

The Mac Pro isn't a minor update, it's unlikely they will show anything before Macworld, there is no reason not to show it off at Macworld.

zioxide

macrumors 603
Dec 11, 2006
The Mac Pro isn't a minor update, it's unlikely they will show anything before Macworld, there is no reason not to show it off at Macworld.

It's of the same scale as the MBP and MB going to Crestline, neither of which received time at a keynote.

Umbongo

macrumors 601
Sep 14, 2006
England
It's of the same scale as the MBP and MB going to Crestline, neither of which received time at a keynote.

I don't believe Apple are waiting for Macworld to show the Mac Pro, but I do feel that Macworld is so close to when they would actually be able to ship it that they will introduce it there. Macworld may now be a great opportunity for valuble media attention on their consumer products and depending on what they show they may be pressed for time, but let's not forget that every "Pro" is also going to be paying attention.

Aside from the numerical increases in cores, speed, and gigabytes it is possible that nothing about the new Mac Pro may be the same as the old one inside and out. Add in the possibility of new displays and there is no reason to discount the new Mac Pro as something for Apple not to showcase.

mandoman

macrumors 6502
Nov 8, 2005
Alls I know is, MWSF08 better be about COMPUTERS!
Last years phone and appletv were a BIG letdown for me.
If it's another consumer device centric macworld, I think
I'll SCREAM!

jeremytehjerk

macrumors newbie
Nov 1, 2007
Also, why would an Apple employee with the credentials to know what's on the horizon hint that he was looking forward to his stocks going up? Doesn't that teeter on potential for insider trading?

insider trading is a very technical term, saying that you are expecting stock increases do to a planned convention revealing new products would not be considered insider trading. as a general rule predicting stock value changes that are caused by any sort of normal operating activity (including future product releases though currently unknown to us) will not fall under insider trading. however if he were to make comment on his stock changing do to financial documents that had not yet been released, or any sort of financial planning/data unknown outside the company that could likely be defined as insider trading.

but to be honest i dont really think an employee working for a company that relies on coming up with new innovative products annually to make money being enthusiastic about the next year is very newsworthy; i'm pretty sure every similar company has also reassured their employees that next year is going to be a big year for them. =P

ErikAndre

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 14, 2007
Florida
I JUST REMEMBERED THIS! Remember how they said that The Beatles were coming to iTunes in the early part of '08? This would be the best time to announce it!
That would be great... i may have been living under a rock, but where did you hear that?

nimbuscloud

macrumors regular
Jul 9, 2007
Other way around, Nimbuscloud.

All-over mac update, and some news about iTunes/other stuff.

iTunes 8 is going to be a pretty big update. He's going to take at least a 3rd to half the time talking about that and the new things you can do with AppleTV.

A MacPro speed bump is of course on the tables, but that's not a big deal to call home about.

:apple:

Digital Skunk

macrumors G3
Dec 23, 2006
In my imagination
Maybe something like this........... I found it on flickr

2066969618_131dda3e08.jpg

NO.... it's terrible and far from anything Apple would do. It's a nice mockup, but like the thousands of others that were around for the first iMac G5, iPhone, PowerMac G5, Intel iMacs, Aluminum iMacs, etc.... it's just not creative enough.

iTunes 8 is going to be a pretty big update. He's going to take at least a 3rd to half the time talking about that and the new things you can do with AppleTV.

A MacPro speed bump is of course on the tables, but that's not a big deal to call home about.

You must not have been listening to the thousands of mouths chattering about the current Mac Pro and it's year and a half old technology. We don't need a speed bump, the whole bloody system needs an overhaul, from RAM to processor speed to BTO options to price and so forth. iTunes can shove it, the pros need this keynote. It WILL be about the outdated MacBook Pro, MacPro and maybe the MacMini and Apple TV. Honestly... the Apple TV and Mac Mini can shove it to.

Not that I am angry at you or Apple, just that iTunes 8 isn't as important as Apple's only professional tower system that is so far behind in specs the Dells and HPs are looking kinda nice. I doubt there will be any kind of Mac Touch introduction either, that's been around since the early part of the millennium, not going to happen now... later hopefully, but not now. There may be a 13.3" MBP update but no touch (by the way, it can't be the MacBook Touch if it's not an actual notebook that open and closes, try Mac Tablet...)

nimbuscloud

macrumors regular
Jul 9, 2007
No.

The real problem is that Apple need to do more keynotes. They are becoming very large and they usually rely on keynotes to debut things.

Whether you like it or not, iTunes is almost as important as Mac OS X. Apple isn't just a computer company anymore, but luckily...computers and Mac OS X is still their core.

I'm not saying that MacPro speed bumps are unimportant. A speed bump is a darn speed bump. I'm just saying that some people think that Apple has to release a huge new thing, like an iPhone, at all keynotes. They can't.

The Apple tablet WILL happen, but the soonest that it'll be shown is this Summer. No need to show something like that right off the heels of the iPhone.

iTunes need an update.

AppleTV need a HUGE update to be relevant.

MacBooks/pros will get a speed bump, but that isn't something that REQUIRES A KEYNOTE. That can happen at any time.

MacPros need an update. I'd like to see one with an optional Blu-ray burner for video people.

Digital Skunk

macrumors G3
Dec 23, 2006
In my imagination
No.

The real problem is that Apple need to do more keynotes. They are becoming very large and they usually rely on keynotes to debut things.

Whether you like it or not, iTunes is almost as important as Mac OS X. Apple isn't just a computer company anymore, but luckily...computers and Mac OS X is still their core.

I'm not saying that MacPro speed bumps are unimportant. A speed bump is a darn speed bump. I'm just saying that some people think that Apple has to release a huge new thing, like an iPhone, at all keynotes. They can't.

The Apple tablet WILL happen, but the soonest that it'll be shown is this Summer. No need to show something like that right off the heels of the iPhone.

iTunes need an update.

AppleTV need a HUGE update to be relevant.

MacBooks/pros will get a speed bump, but that isn't something that REQUIRES A KEYNOTE. That can happen at any time.

MacPros need an update. I'd like to see one with an optional Blu-ray burner for video people.

Okay okay... you're right about iTunes now that the iPhone and iPod Touch both can access it via WiFi now. That's the one thing over the Zune that Apple does have besides the Touch's UI and the size of the Classic's HDD. Even if the "One More Thing" is the MacPro update then I will be happy.

I doubt that it will be a speed bump however. Not only are we getting faster processors and GFX cards, we are getting faster FSBs and hopefully 2GB of RAM to start, a bigger HDD (not 400GB thought more like 320) and a cheaper lower end configuration.

I would love to see a better Apple TV, since that thing isn't getting any love whatsoever, much like the Mac Mini as well. The Mac Book Pro needs some new hardware as well, but that could be updated silently

pjarvi

macrumors 65816
Jan 11, 2006
Clovis, CA
I'll just take some wild guesses rather than rational ones:

MacBook Mini - $599 Starting price, lower performance than a regular MacBook, no built-in DVD drive ($149 extra), perfect for schools

Cinema HD displays - HDMI and Component inputs, LED backlit on all models

AppleTV Pro - Built-in DVD drive (No HD support until MacWorld 2010)

iTunes 8 - Movie rentals, new interface, another studio or 2 on-board, Beatles music

Mac Pro - New graphics card options from nVidia, will run hotter, will have some flaw that requires new firmware or physical repair by Apple

Digital Skunk

macrumors G3
Dec 23, 2006
In my imagination

MacBook Mini - $599 Starting price, lower performance than a regular MacBook, no built-in DVD drive ($149 extra), perfect for schools

iTunes 8 - Movie rentals, new interface, another studio or 2 on-board, Beatles music

Mac Pro - New graphics card options from nVidia, will run hotter, will have some flaw that requires new firmware or physical repair by Apple

I like the Mac Book Mini. Make it a 12" widescreen and give us the option to make it a kick @$$ machine for $2000 extra (basically a 12" widescreen MacBook Pro) and it's a winner.

Just make the Cinema Displays not cost an arm and a leg Apple... please.

Apple TV Pro can be a Mac Mini that's worth the cash. Discontinue the Mac Mini and give the Apple TV a better slightly better processor, a DVD burner, USB ports that work, Bluetooth for wireless mouse and keyboard that you can use from your couch and jack the price up $150 and it's a winner.

iTunes 8... bring on the $1 movie rentals!

Mac Pro... probably going to happen, but I don't care just as long as it has Penryn and a kick butt GFX card.

nimbuscloud

macrumors regular
Jul 9, 2007

This would be HUGE...but it would be pretty weak. I couldn't imagine it running Photoshop, but it'd be nice to have. Also, why the heck would a DVD drive be $149 extra??? I think it just wouldn't have it.

That'd be nice.

Err...NO. AppleTV won't have a darn DVD drive. EVERYONE has a DVD player. There is no need for an extra one. That won't "fix" the AppleTV, but a part of your next thought will...

Rentals and subscriptions. It will be better than people think and it will be HIGHLY worth it.

:rolleyes:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.