Macworld 2009: iPhone 32GB

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by nickspohn, Dec 16, 2008.

1. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

Too put an end to the countless of threads being made, and the ones to be made in the future, I want to point out a few things on the chances of this happening.

- Apple released a 16GB iPhone on February 5th, for $100 over the previous top model.
    - Apple's Macworld featured the introduction to the MacBook Air, and this event was based solely on that new laptop, thus the chance that they didn't want to draw attention away from that because of an updated iPhone right at Macworld.
    - With nothing major being introduced at Macworld, the iPhone will likely see some enhancement. Maybe even a software announcement? From visiting this site daily for the last year and half, it seems likely will see something related to the iPhone at Macworld.
    - ScanDisk has a 32GB Flash drive out that is cheap, and there have been plenty of rumors of Apple using this chip in the iPhone and iPod Touch. Why would Apple wait even longer to introduce this when they already are capable of implementing it now?

THE ANSWER: Yes, there will be a 32GB iPhone at Macworld. This also means that we very well could see a 64GB iPod Touch.

If you are waiting to get a 32GB iPhone, i would defiantly wait if I were you if you don't need the iPhone this minute. You could always buy a few days before, since you have the 14 day return period, with a 10% restocking fee. If you think a 64GB iPhone will come out in the next 6-12 months, you are just getting your hopes up.

Facts about the 32GB iPhone:
    -It should not get any thicker.

Hope this clears a few things up.

2. Luke1robb macrumors 6502a

Luke1robb

Great post, BUT you seemed to basically say, "The iPhone will get a storage bump at Macworld, but if it doesn't it will happen in the month afterwards." Isn't this kind of obvious.

Overall though, I'm glad you posted this, because there are some people out there who whole-heartedly believe we won't see an iPhone update (major) for at least a year and a half from now, and a speed bump for almost a half to a whole year. Your post clears things up and helps put these other ridiculous posts to bed.

Thanks OP

3. nickspohn thread starter macrumors 68040

nickspohn

Thanks guys. And yes, i removed that from the post after i re-read my thread making sure i didn't make any grammar mistakes.

4. fleshman03 macrumors 68000

fleshman03

I've been waiting for a 32 gb to pull the trigger. I'd rather have a 64gb or more version, but I'll take 32 ... for now.

Not to mention that a memory bump isn't huge news. Something that would fit with this years MacWorld.

5. Poat84 macrumors 6502

Poat84

Yup I planned on waiting for the 32gb iphone.

Any word on if its gonna be the same size as the 16gb. I bought the Griffin iclear already haha

6. nickspohn thread starter macrumors 68040

nickspohn

Should be just fine. Good point to add as well.

7. fleshman03 macrumors 68000

fleshman03

If I'm not mistaken, the 32gb is on a single chip the size of the 16gb inside the top iPhone.

8. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

They'd be more likely to keep the same size, color, design etc for the bump i'd imagine as then they can make externally visible changes for the version change hopefully for announcement at WWDC?
    Then you get a differentiation between older and newer models. Heck, they could bring colors out for the 32GB iPhone bump (think of the hoopla the nano got)

9. synagence macrumors 6502a

Yep ... iphone has single NAND slot, iPod T has 2 ... samsung has started making the 32Gb nand chips recently so opening the door for a memory bump without internal modification to the iphone .... ipod can similarly have 64gb due to double-32's

10. Indy21 macrumors 6502

I just hope they have addressed the cracking issue, either silently or maybe they are going to mention it and say it has been resolved. Then I will get a 32gb version.:D

11. jlwillia macrumors regular

Your post adds nothing to the credibility or likelihood that this will actually happen. I have always thought this is going to happen. However, anyone reading any of the million posts on this issue has already heard everything you just said. You said you "hope this clears things up" but in reality you have no more facts than anyone else who knows a little history about Apple releases and the current flash drives being made.

Unless you name is Steve Jobs, your post should have the following disclaimer: "I have no idea about any specific plans Apple may have and these opinions are solely those of the author who is merely guessing."

And you post should end: "I know this clears nothing up whatsoever"

12. nickspohn thread starter macrumors 68040

nickspohn

Okay negative nancy.

I'm sure you are oblivious to the threads asking about this, and the threads asking if they should wait.

There is no other thread that lists all the speculations either.

13. nfl46 macrumors 603

My gosh! I can't even fill up my 8GB and I have tons of stuff. Maybe I'll sell my 8GB on eBay and get a 32 GB just for the heck of it.

14. jlwillia macrumors regular

Actually, I've read most of those threads. That's why I'm a little critical of this thread. I feel it adds nothing to that discussion. I think anyone who reads even one of those threads can understand the limitations of the size of flash drives being made and that a 32 GB is inevitable. Some think Macworld, some think after.

I'm not trying to criticize you for creating this thread. I'm criticizing you for your "know it as a matter-of-fact" demeanor.

15. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

very first word.

32Gb iPhone likely? Yes. Definite? No.

agreed.

16. ghostshadow777 macrumors member

ghostshadow777

Agreed. Nothing against the OP, but he needs more credibility to back up what he's saying.

17. Poat84 macrumors 6502

Poat84

18. theunknown001 macrumors newbie

do u think there is another iphone product-update beside the 32gb;
    e.g. a better cam or something else...

19. svndmvn Guest

no
    January- Probably 32GB,nothing else
    June/July- If the 32GB hasn't been released yet,it is 50% possible we would have it by then,about 25% there would be other hardware involved in the update, and if the iPhone had been updated in January it would be very unlikely for the iPhone to be updated again.
    the iPhone would be updated by September to 32GB very likely, 50% possibilities of the iPhone having other new hardware.

20. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

I think those with harsh words should put their reputation on the line and make a predictify.com prediction.

Gentlemen, Ladies - step up, or step out: Your nearest single date prediction of when
    a) 32GB iPhone will be announced officially by Apple
    b) 32GB iPhone will start shipping (first one, either Apple store online, or Apple stores get sellable stock)

21. cellocello macrumors 68000

cellocello

I do not expect any new iPhone hardware in January.

It's possible we'll see 32 gig units (along with new colours) in July/August. It's possible.

22. swy05 macrumors 6502

Word.

How is this thread any different from the other millions of threads speculating about a 32gig iphone? This thread is a waste of space if you ask me.

I can't count how many times I'm scrolling through the forum and see threads with the title "32GB iPhone" or "32GB iPhone is releasing" only to open the thread and be disappointed yet again with someone's "inside information" or opinion.

By putting "Macworld 2009: iPhone 32GB" in the title you make it sound as if though it's been officially confirmed.

Wait until it's been officially confirmed and then we can all talk about the in's and out's of the 32GB iphone.

23. bigfatdummy macrumors newbie

bigfatdummy

I am still using a edge network 16gb. I have been waiting for the 32gb to come out before upgrading to the 3g. My 16gb is full and I could really use the extra 16gb of space. I find it amusing that people say, "you don't need more than 16gb of memory on a phone". Problem is, this is not just a phone. I bought an iPhone because I was carrying around an iPod and a phone. I wanted to only carry one device. Now I can and with an extra 16gb of storage I can store more movies on my iPhone for traveling.

24. Barbs macrumors regular

another useless thread about something no one other than the folks at apple have any clue about. awesome.

25. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Welcome to MacRumors... You seem to have absolutely no idea why this site exists, so I suggest going to Apple's forum or ignoring these threads if you don't get it.