Macworld 2012: WDC Shows Off MyBook Thunderbolt Duo

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

We briefly mentioned WDC's press release that they would be showing their new MyBook Thunderbolt Duo at Macworld. Here are photos from the show floor of the unit. As expected, the new drive shares the same appearance as their previous two drive MyBook hardware.

This new model, however, incorporates two Thunderbolt ports that allows the units to be daisy chained with each other to create a single logical drive.

At the show, WDC was showing 4 devices daisy chained with Thunderbolt in a striped configuration. Each MyBook Thunderbolt Duo had two 3TB drives, giving a total capacity of 24TB that appeared on the desktop as one contiguous 24TB device.

The individual drives within each unit are user serviceable/replaceable and can be configured in either RAID 0 or RAID 1 configurations. The product will be available this quarter with pricing to be announced then.

Article Link: Macworld 2012: WDC Shows Off MyBook Thunderbolt Duo

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
24TB?

What happened to the days when just 1 TB was cool? When did I stop being cool?

Edit: Is it just me, or is their desktop set up with a wired mighty mouse? Apple doesn't even sell those anymore, do they?

GFLPraxis

macrumors 604
Mar 17, 2004
RAID0 over Thunderbolt sounds pretty snappy...just hope you don't have a disk failure!

I'm loving all of these Thunderbolt products, but they're just too expensive to reasonably consider for non-media professionals at the moment.

holmesf

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2001
Is this a bootable setup? With all that bandwidth it seems like an ideal interface for connecting SSDs.

FakeWozniak

macrumors 6502
Nov 8, 2007
Edit: Is it just me, or is their desktop set up with a wired mighty mouse? Apple doesn't even sell those anymore, do they?
I would imagine at a trade show, there are either a) a buttload of wireless mighty mouses that would confuse the macs, or b) hackers trying to download demo software through bluetooth exploits.

cubex

macrumors member
Jun 8, 2009
I have a 2011 Mac mini that is currently driving dual monitors:
HDMI port -> DVI adapter -> Monitor
Thunderbolt port -> DVI adapter -> Monitor

If I purchase one of these would I be able to go:
Thunderbolt port -> MyBook Thunderbolt Duo -> DVI adapter -> Monitor

???

guzhogi

macrumors 68030
Aug 31, 2003
Wherever my feet take me…
I have a 2011 Mac mini that is currently driving dual monitors:
HDMI port -> DVI adapter -> Monitor
Thunderbolt port -> DVI adapter -> Monitor

If I purchase one of these would I be able to go:
Thunderbolt port -> MyBook Thunderbolt Duo -> DVI adapter -> Monitor

???
Yes.

I wonder how many of those Pegasus R6 RAID enclosures it would take to saturate the TB interface if setup in a similar fashion?

CFreymarc

Suspended
Sep 4, 2009
24TB?

What happened to the days when just 1 TB was cool? When did I stop being cool?
The next big thing in storage is the Petabyte (PB) and I'm sure the marketing types are going to go gaga calling it "a million billion bytes" which it is. My guess we will see that before 2020.

To quote the greasers of my father's generation, "You stop being cool when you care about being cool."

Last edited:

paul revere

macrumors newbie
Oct 13, 2011
Mac Pro?

Who needs the old fashioned Mac Pro! Now I can see what Apple is holding back on the new Mac Pro and maybe even new versions of Final Cut Pro.