Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ctdonath

macrumors 68000
Mar 11, 2009
is their desktop set up with a wired mighty mouse?

In a large room featuring a high density of wireless devices, using wired devices wards off many problems.

Recall Jobs asking reporters to turn off their WiFi devices because over 500 were competing for bandwidth needed for the presentation.

lgwells1

macrumors 6502
Aug 27, 2011
USA
24TB?

What happened to the days when just 1 TB was cool? When did I stop being cool?

Edit: Is it just me, or is their desktop set up with a wired mighty mouse? Apple doesn't even sell those anymore, do they?

Most likely the wired mouse to keep people from running off with a $70 Magic Mouse every 5 minutes.:confused:

beejam

macrumors member
Jul 18, 2007
I would imagine at a trade show, there are either a) a buttload of wireless mighty mouses that would confuse the macs, or b) hackers trying to download demo software through bluetooth exploits.

Actually more like c) wireless things get stolen at trade shows.

baryon

macrumors 68040
Oct 3, 2009
Now that's pretty cool! Finally something that's pretty cool an related to Thunderbolt! I bet it's way more expensive than the already expensive price I imagined though… But it should be great for production studios!

yoak

macrumors 68000
Oct 4, 2004
Oslo, Norway
Who needs the old fashioned Mac Pro! Now I can see what Apple is holding back on the new Mac Pro and maybe even new versions of Final Cut Pro.

To all that crap inside an enclosure, not having to fill up your desk with boxes and cables. Not to mention all the extra electric sockets you would need to power it all ;)
Having said that I like the speed and possibility this ADDS

WardC

macrumors 68030
Oct 17, 2007
Fort Worth, TX
Where can you buy this drive? I can't see them for sale anywhere.

EDIT: By the way, the 3rd party people are taking way too long rolling out the thunderbolt-ware.

Asclepio

macrumors 6502a
Jul 11, 2011
In a large room featuring a high density of wireless devices, using wired devices wards off many problems.

Recall Jobs asking reporters to turn off their WiFi devices because over 500 were competing for bandwidth needed for the presentation.

lol that was the super antenna (yes the antenna gate)

ericinboston

macrumors 68020
Jan 13, 2008
Maybe I am wrong...but aren't these TB speeds faster than the (most) internal SATA drives on the iMacs/Macbooks (and most Wintels)? If so, then the bottleneck would be the source drive as well as any overhead the OS is doing to copy/move the files. These tests are also probably after a lot of tuning, tweaking, and getting top end hardware all around (meaning the computer, too).

My bet, however, is that these TB drives will still be much much more expensive than the USB 3.0 drives that have been on the market for over a year now.

I'd love to have the theoretical blazing speed of TB and USB 3.0...but I'll take USB 3.0's current, realistic, 2x-4x speed over USB 2.0 right now...for a VERY cheap price....about $120 for a 1TB USB 3.0 drive.

jclardy

macrumors 601
Oct 6, 2008
I've had two Western Digital externals. The first lasted a while, but the power supply crapped out after the warranty expired.

The second was a FW800 drive and the controller board died within warranty, but I would have risked losing my data which was a backup of my computer I just sold. So I just ditched the enclosure, the drive worked fine.

gpat

macrumors 68000
Mar 1, 2011
Italy
It seems too much of a gimmick to me. I don't see a lot of cases where spending such a crapload of money could provide any significant improvement.

lostngone

macrumors 65816
Aug 11, 2003
Anchorage
At the show, WDC was showing 4 devices daisy chained with Thunderbolt in a striped configuration. Each MyBook Thunderbolt Duo had two 3TB drives, giving a total capacity of 24TB that appeared on the desktop as one contiguous 24TB device.

Fast yes, but 8 drives in RAID 0 is living dangerously. I would like to see tests in more real world configurations.

stottmj

macrumors newbie
Aug 9, 2010
Zero data integrity...

WD's setup is extremely bad for normal use. Each MyBook setup for RAID 0 meaning both drives in each MyBook are additive with zero redundancy, if one disk goes bad both lose data completely. Then they stripped them RAID 0 between the 4 MyBook's using OS X software RAID. So any one of the 8 disks fails, the entire 24TB's is scrubbed and unusable.

Once Tenscompliment's ZFS comes out (very soon) then you will have a ZFS option to protect those drives. What we really need is some dumb multi-bay box that holds 4-6 hard drives and provides TB interface. All 4-6 drives would show up in OS X as individual drives then you add them to a ZFS Disk Pool and set it up for ZRAID (single parity or double parity -- one or two disks can fail without data loss) and however many snapshots you want to make.

I was looking at eSATA 4-6 bay external drive bays and found they run around $124 and a PCIx eSATA card for a MacPro. The only other cost is the disks themselves which is a PITA right now with the disk shortages.

But if someone sells a dumb 4-6 bay drive container that includes 2 TB ports and doesn't try to do hardware RAID, etc. I will jump all over that!

The nice thing about ZFS is it is rock solid and can handle any type of drive. MacPro internal SATA, eSATA, TB, Firewire, USB, etc.

Geez, I remember my old ISP servicing a couple thousand dial up customers on a single TB of disk space spread across multiple servers. Now you can have that in a laptop! How far we have come...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.