Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacWorld Boston... No Apple?

springscansing

macrumors 6502a
Oct 13, 2002
New York
Who the heck wants it in Boston. No offense to Bostonites, but Boston is no New York City.

Bring it back darnit. Stupid people. You go Apple, show them who's expo it is!

Comment

macdop

macrumors member
Jan 2, 2002
New York City, the capital of the world, WOHOO!!!

Boston, um...um...yeh...um...Boston?

Comment

squatch

macrumors member
Jan 26, 2003
Reasons for not going to Boston

You know, my thinking is the reason why Apple doesn't want to go back to Boston is all the bad memories that were spun....I mean, it is where Apple decided to let Microsoft within the flock...maybe their reasoning has to do with their wanting to break away from MS once and for all and Boston would only bring back horrible memories of Billy Boy's face overlooking the crowd with a sinister grin.

Just my two cents. :)

Comment

Foocha

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2001
London
Yeah, I agree - down on Boston.

We still haven't forgiven them for the tea party over here, you know ;)

Comment

nickmcghie

macrumors regular
Jul 16, 2002
UCLA
Originally posted by macdop
New York City, the capital of the world, WOHOO!!!

Boston, um...um...yeh...um...Boston?
actually, i heard that if the world had to select a capital right now, the most likely candidate would be shanghai

hey.. MacWorld Expo Shanghai.. that kinda has a ring to it doesn't it? hehe :p

Comment

dricci

macrumors 6502a
Dec 15, 2001
Boston would be a place I'd be able to get too. New York is too far off. I was really looking forward to finally getting to go to an Expo. But without Apple there, it'll be hella lame :(

Why should it matter where they hold expo? Maybe they should rotate locations every year.

Comment

Classic

macrumors regular
Jul 9, 2001
NY too far?

Originally posted by dricci
Boston would be a place I'd be able to get too. New York is too far off. I was really looking forward to finally getting to go to an Expo.

DC -> NY = about 225 miles

DC -> Boston = about 445 miles

How is Boston a place you'd be able to get too, while New York is too far off? From DC, it's twice the distance...

Maybe during that time of the year you aren't living near DC anymore?

Comment

yzedf

macrumors 65816
Nov 1, 2002
Connecticut
I thought Macworld was just some magazine.

Why doesn't Apple start their own expo? Or is this them trying to use someone elses dime?

Comment

thepickledegg

macrumors newbie
Jul 31, 2002
Boston

Who cares Boston or NY either. We should be more concerned about the UI and speed of OSX.

This is just an excuse for Apple to bow out of the costly trade shows and focus using their retail outlets as there presentation platform to save money.

Comment

hvfsl

macrumors 68000
Jul 9, 2001
London, UK
If there is no Apple at Boston, when are they going to release the PPC 970 Macs. The only other expo is paris before 2004 and they do not normally release new products there.

The PPC970 launch is too big to release at anything other than a US Mac Expo, I just hope this doesn't mean we have to wait until SF 2004 to get a new PPC970 Mac.

Comment

irmongoose

macrumors 68030
Originally posted by hvfsl
If there is no Apple at Boston, when are they going to release the PPC 970 Macs. The only other expo is paris before 2004 and they do not normally release new products there.

The PPC970 launch is too big to release at anything other than a US Mac Expo, I just hope this doesn't mean we have to wait until SF 2004 to get a new PPC970 Mac.

Actually MWNY 2003 is going to happen... from 2004 it will become MWBS...

Here is the proof...

So you can still hope for the 970 coming out during summer! :D

P.S. Sorry I don't know why but I can't think properly right now.. hence my awkward English...

irmongoose

Comment

PeteyNice

macrumors newbie
Jan 11, 2003
Um, this whole MacWorld Boston thing is not until 2004. There will still be a MW in Manhattan in July.

Comment

mangoman

macrumors 6502a
Nov 27, 2002
Second Floor
So...

...anybody have a link for info on the New York show? I'd like to go-- in fact, I WILL go for sure if there is in fact a show in NYC. Anyone got the info?

Thanks.

Comment

Sonofhaig

macrumors regular
Jan 16, 2003
Greenvale, NY
DC is closer to Boston and not NYC?

Originally posted by dricci
Boston would be a place I'd be able to get too. New York is too far off. I was really looking forward to finally getting to go to an Expo. But without Apple there, it'll be hella lame :(

Why should it matter where they hold expo? Maybe they should rotate locations every year.

Uh...If you're near DC, wouldn't you be closer to NYC than Boston?:eek:

Comment

Eric-C

macrumors newbie
Feb 7, 2003
Jobs emphasized the focus on laptops this year. Well, who uses lap tops? Mostly business people and college students.

Boston happens to be the most densely college student populated city in the USA. A statistic showed that the average age the people of Boston was 28. Getting students (who are usually more accepting to change) to switch, especially en masse, could potentially establish a concrete consumer base. As a soon to be college student myself, I notice that a lot of my friends are investing money on lap tops, as they are anticipating the need for portability. Many of them have not considered Apple.

I know that Stanford U. unofficially endorses Apple as most of their students use them (this is by word of mouth), and having Harvard, *MIT*, Tufts, or Boston College become an Apple majority school might not be so bad for the company's rep.

Of course, this is thinking way into the future. My point still stands, however. Moving to Boston is definitely a good idea.

Comment

Centris 650

macrumors 6502a
Dec 26, 2002
Near Charleston, SC
Personally I think it shouldn't be in Boston OR NY...it should be in South Carolina!! Yeah, MWSC. I can see it now...uh...wait, we don't even have an Apple store in SC. Hmmmmm, forget that. (Maybe MWNC and Arn could have a booth or something.) :D :p

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.