Macworld Expo 2011: iFusion Phone, Navigon 1.7, Splashtop Remote Desktop

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

Macworld Expo 2011 kicked off this week with the floor show opening today. This is the second year that Macworld expo has gone on after Apple's withdrawal in 2009. Last year's show was considered a success and early reports claim that this year's show claim higher early numbers in both floor space and pre-registration. Unlike CES and WWDC, Macworld Expo remains open to the general public so much of the foot traffic comes from interested Apple consumers.

The show seemed busy and crowded on the first day, and there were many well known products but also a few new ones.

A brand new product introduced was The Fusion Phone, which promises to be a combination landline dock, speaker and charger for your iPhone. It also provides a traditional dock connector for recharging and a passthrough USB connector so you can sync with your computer.

Beyond the usual dock features, it also offers a bluetooth connection so you can play music or take phone calls through the traditional handset. The Fusion Phone will begin shipping in April, and pre-orders are being taken now for $149.

Navigon, the makers of the popular turn-by-turn navigation app for the iPhone and iPad, announced the release of a car windshield mount accessory with car charging cable. The $49.99 accessory was promoted as a "barely there" design to showcase the iPhone itself.

The company was also promoting its Navigon 1.7 release which came in December. The latest version of the turn-by-turn software offers a single Universal app that supports both iPhone and iPad. Navigon takes advantage of the larger iPad screen to make it easier to plan routes, and those routes can also be sent by email to your iPhone version. So pre-planning can take place on the iPad, even if you don't want to have to bring it with you in the car. Other new features included Zagat content and Google reviews for restaurant ratings, active lane assistance, retina display support and a way to send back map errors to their map provider.

Navigon North America is presently on sale for $49.99 (from $59.99).

Splashtop was showing off their remote desktop app for iPhone and iPad. The $1.99 apps allow you to remotely control your Mac OS X installation over Wi-Fi or 3G. It does require a client to be installed on your Mac for it to work, but also has full support for sound and claims higher performance than traditional remote desktop clients.

A free trial of the iPad version is available that limits sessions for 5 minutes.

Article Link: Macworld Expo 2011: iFusion Phone, Navigon 1.7, Splashtop Remote Desktop

GFLPraxis

macrumors 604
Mar 17, 2004
Curious to see how Splashtop compares in performance to iTeleport.

They'll need a Windows server application before they can replace iTeleport's functions for me, however.

RobBookPro

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2009
I use both iTeleport and Splashtop to control my macs. Each has their advantage. While splashtop has some excellent features (such as high speed video playback) it does seem a bit unpolished. The server client (mac) is still beta though so that is to be expected.

If you need to get work done fast though iTeleport is the way to go.

Correction: Splashtop remote for mac is no longer beta.

splashnader

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2008
Via Satellite
LOL. I though the iFusion was a joke at first.

The iFusion. So this product turns your mobile phone into a landline, but without a landline. Or is the iFusion already connected to a landline.

Popeye206

macrumors 68040
Sep 6, 2007
NE PA USA
LOL. I though the iFusion was a joke at first.

The iFusion. So this product turns your mobile phone into a landline, but without a landline. Or is the iFusion already connected to a landline.
To put it in perspective, I would have LOVED to have something like this for a normal cell phone for my elderly dad. He can't hear the phone ring all that well and a phone dock for when he is at home would help him tremendously. Louder ring, and it's in the same place all the time so he does not have to go search for it. However, not buying my 92 year old dad an iPhone. A little overkill for him. :)

s1m

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2008
Louder ring, and it's in the same place all the time so he does not have to go search for it. However, not buying my 92 year old dad an iPhone. A little overkill for him. :)
Buy a charger and leave it one place and tell him to put his cell on charge all the time. That way it is always in the same place

ChrisAlexander

macrumors newbie
Nov 30, 2010
I like the ifusion phone - I miss using a desk phone, which was easier to hold to my ear when talking for extended periods.

Nice accessory for the office.

MacAztec

macrumors 68040
Oct 28, 2001
San Luis Obispo, CA
It makes me sad that this event is no longer supported by Apple. My brother, my Dad, and I had attended MacWorld SF for roughly 8 years, prior to Apple no longer attending.

Great event, sad ending :(

haruhiko

macrumors 603
Sep 29, 2009
Curious to see how Splashtop compares in performance to iTeleport.

They'll need a Windows server application before they can replace iTeleport's functions for me, however.
of course they have a Windows server app, in fact it was Windows only at launch.

nostaws

macrumors 6502
Jan 14, 2006
Macworld. What is that?

What is this macworld posted on macrumors?

Never heard of it.

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
I use both iTeleport and Splashtop to control my macs. Each has their advantage. While splashtop has some excellent features (such as high speed video playback) it does seem a bit unpolished. The server client (mac) is still beta though so that is to be expected.

If you need to get work done fast though iTeleport is the way to go.

Correction: Splashtop remote for mac is no longer beta.
The beta was buggy. Hope the new version works better.

It makes me sad that this event is no longer supported by Apple. My brother, my Dad, and I had attended MacWorld SF for roughly 8 years, prior to Apple no longer attending.

Great event, sad ending :(
I think in the past Macworld was before CES, so Microsoft and other knockoff makers would introduce their vaporware after Steve introduced a real product to fool the MicroSheep.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.