Macworld San Francisco 2006 Rumor Wrapup: Winners and Losers

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

After each major event, MacRumors provides a wrapup of rumors to reveal the sources of the most accurate and inaccurate information. Readers are encouraged to read our Macworld Rumor Roundup that was written prior to the actual event.

Last week, Steve Jobs took the stage the stage at Macworld San Francisco and introduced a number of new products including iLife '06 with iWeb, iWork '06, an Intel iMac, and the new MacBook Pro.

iLife '06, iWeb

With surprising regularity, Apple itself is the inadvertent source of leaks about upcoming releases. This year, Apple's website revealed updates to iLife '06 as well as the new iWeb application.

Intel Macs

While the first Intel Macs were widely rumored to be released at the MWSF Expo, readers should remember that Intel Macs had only been promised by June 2006. Apple does not typically beat their estimated timeframes, but the rumors proved to be true. However, with the increased media interest in Apple, there has been an increase in speculative reports from analysts which resulted in an amalgam of disjointed rumors.

In this particular case, the first Intel Mac rumor turned out to be the most accurate. Appleinsider reported in November that the first Intel-based Macs would make their debut at Macworld SF in January. They reported that contrary to expectations, the iMac and PowerBook would be the first Intel-based Macs to be released. The Intel iMac was accurately described as being "based largely on the design and feature set of the current iMac." Apple was also said to be working to ship a 15" Intel PowerBook "around February", complete with built-in iSight. Indeed the 15" Intel PowerBook did arrive as described, though rebranded as the "MacBook Pro".

The accuracy of Appleinsider's report gives further credence to other claims made in the same article. According to the same report, Apple's Intel-based Mac mini will "debut closer to the Spring" -- the same time the company revamps the iBooks with 13" widescreens.

Meanwhile, (traditionally accurate) ThinkSecret's confident reports that the Intel iBook, Intel Mac mini, and a new iPod shuffle would be released at MWSF 2006 entirely missed their mark. These inaccuracies have then cast doubt over other details of the reports, including claims of iBook price drops, as well as the intriguing concept of a Mac mini media center with DVR capabilities, an iPod Dock, and Front Row 2.0.

One More Thing...

It wouldn't be a proper Macworld Expo keynote without the genuine hope of something outrageous and unbelievable. Prior to June 2005, "Apple switching to Intel" frequently occupied that role. In the past, readers have also fruitlessly pined for the iWalk, a Mac tablet, and iHome products.

This year, PowerPage confidently reported on an Apple 42" and 50" Plasma Display with Viiv technology, but has since backpedaled. Of course, no such technology was introduced, and as such PowerPage retains a relatively poor rumor accuracy record.

Optimistic readers, however, may choose to believe claims that Apple did not release everything intended, and that perhaps more was originally planned.

Curiously, while Kevin Rose's 11th hour report of a 15" Intel Macbook, iWork/iLife '06, Photocasting, iPod FM receiver, and OS X.4.4 with new Widgets was exactly on mark... he also mentioned a "New remote of some type". Most likely, this simply refers to the iPod FM receiver/remote - though it is curious that this would have been mentioned twice.

Rumors to Watch

iBook Revisions - est. 2nd quarter 2006.
Intel Developing Next PowerMac for Apple? - est. 3rd quarter 2006
New iPod Products from Apple - boombox?

Intel Mac mini To Evolve Into Digital Hub?
Final Cut Pro 6, Final Cut Extreme, Xserve RAID

Mac Viiv at Macworld Expo 2006?
Light-weight Stylish Mac Laptops in 2006

supergod

macrumors 6502
Jul 14, 2004
Toronto
I myself was really surprised Thinksecret got things so wrong. The new mac lineup doesn't really make sense, at least not until the next releases fill in the gaps.

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
Good work then, AppleInsider!

I always expected PowerBook to go before iBook--just look at the speed of Core Duo and you can see why. The rapid iMac shift surprised me, but then it IS a top-selling Mac model, and has pretty much become the flagship for consumer buyers.

I think the iBook and Mac Mini will wait for Core Solo (which I thought was expected soon, but maybe not). Additional MacBook models could come at any time--I bet two additional sizes (13.3" and 20" quad with dual-Duos? I know, let me dream...) will be out by end of March.

I also expect multiple MacBook names--not just "MacBook" and "MacBook Pro"--along the lines of the multiple iPod names. No need to force a division into two distinct groups.

Lastly I think the Mac Mini will remain as a low-end model, even if some OTHER variation of it (which would have a new name I'd think) were to gain home theater functions. Front Row/remote could be on the bottom Mac Mini--maybe--but nothing more costly. It IS the low-end entry point after all. (In fact, not everyone needs a 3D GPU: the Mac Mini could go with Intel integrated graphics--just so long as the price drops accordingly.)

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
Beware of the Leopard

drawbob said:
I've been following LoopRumors' return, and hope they turn out to be a useful source. Most of their correct predictions this time seem like just good guesses (maybe), but even if that were so, to their credit at least they didn't predict a bunch of wrong stuff.

The most interesting thing there, for me, is that they are just about the only ones reporting detailed rumors/reports about 10.5/Leopard. (Two past reports, one more expected soon?) There's no telling yet if those reports are connected to reality, but stories of future OS X features are fun all the same!

Object-X

macrumors 6502a
Aug 3, 2004
The mole has been found

The Thinksecret mole has been discovered through the release of misinformation. Apple gave Appleinsider the right details and fed their suspect with wrong info...he/she is so busted! :eek:

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
nagromme said:
I've been following LoopRumors' return, and hope they turn out to be a useful source. Most of their correct predictions this time seem like just good guesses (maybe), but even if that were so, to their credit at least they didn't predict a bunch of wrong stuff.
Well, their iWork/iLife report claimed it would include a Remote, Front Row bundled and a Spreadsheet, so I don't consider that to be a "correct" prediction.

arn

runninmac

macrumors 65816
Jan 20, 2005
Rockford MI
Doctor Q said:
The biggest surprise at Macworld, for me at least, was ThinkSecret's incorrect predictions.
I agree with that. Last year they were spot on with everything... shame shame you know your name. Appleinsider on the other hand 2 thumbs up!

mccoma

macrumors regular
Jul 15, 2002
iBook

I was thinking that the iBook would convert when the ULV version of the Core is available.

iamfiremansam

macrumors newbie
Jan 10, 2006
New Zealand
ibook price

Hey does anyone know for sure if the price for the upcoming ibook/macbook will be dropped a bit? Or kept the same price? Or dare I say it more expensive:(

EricNau

Moderator emeritus
Apr 27, 2005
San Francisco, CA
iamfiremansam said:
Hey does anyone know for sure if the price for the upcoming ibook/macbook will be dropped a bit? Or kept the same price? Or dare I say it more expensive:(
I'm hoping for less expensive, but I don't think Apple could be stupid enough to make it MORE expensive.

asherman13

macrumors 6502a
Jul 31, 2005
SF Bay Area, CA
with regards to the link to the tablet mac page, on that page it says that one of the rumors had something about a 8" ipod-like tablet mac. now, if i'm not mistaken, didn't sj mention something about an 8"-screen ipod in his MWSF podcast?;) i'll leave it up you all of you...

iamfiremansam

macrumors newbie
Jan 10, 2006
New Zealand
EricNau said:
I'm hoping for less expensive, but I don't think Apple could be stupid enough to make it MORE expensive.
Yea apple seems to have a good reputation of bringing out the newer version of somthing and keeping the same price as the old one. Fingers crossed that it's cheaper but ill still be happy if it's the same price.

SiliconAddict

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2003
Chicago, IL
One thing that pretty much had me dumping my huggies was that it was 1:29 minutes after the start of the keynote when jobs did the one more thing. I thought the keynote was scheduled for 90 minutes as such about was buffing the barrel of my shotgun to go on a homicidal rampage at work.

thedude110

macrumors 68020
Jun 13, 2005
I'm glad the wrap-up isn't dismissive of a Mac/media hub. So maybe a 50" Mac was a fantasy ... but God, from a consumer's point of view, a 50" Mac is a great idea! :p

JDOG_

macrumors 6502a
Nov 19, 2003
Oakland
WeBleed4Real said:
Whatever happened to that "Asteroid" rumor that ThinkSecret got in trouble for a while ago?
My guess is they'll unveil it in the next few months along with the Shuffle revision and updates to the larger iPods at an Apple "music event." :D

Nice roundup though!

Frisco

macrumors 68020
Sep 24, 2002
Utopia
I am expecting/hoping for an Apple Special Media Event soon, hopefully that will be when Apple introduces a Media Center. I hope!

bigfoot

macrumors newbie
Jan 15, 2006
I was about to pull the trigger on a new G5 power mac for me, and an imac for my daughter just before Macworld. However now that the Intel gates have been opened I will wait on the powermac. According to most reports the switch should be complete by 3rd quarter...? I would also guess that since the Intel imac is now shipping... the major programs I use (Adobe PS, GL, ID, and Protools) should all be native by the time 3Q rolls around. I see no sense in running Rosetta with the newer (native) versions that will have all the latest bells and whistles. I see a new G5 as not having the run I've with my two G4's. I would think (updates) for most current pro apps for a G5 already grinding to a halt. I'm thinking Apple now has to get the switch done as quickly as possible because of consumers thinking like me right now.

p0intblank

macrumors 68030
Sep 20, 2005
New Jersey
Excellent overview. You were spot-on with everything. This year's Macworld definitely taught me a lesson for the future: don't take these "rumors" too seriously; wait it out and hope for the best.

iMeowbot

macrumors G3
Aug 30, 2003
asherman13 said:
with regards to the link to the tablet mac page, on that page it says that one of the rumors had something about a 8" ipod-like tablet mac. now, if i'm not mistaken, didn't sj mention something about an 8"-screen ipod in his MWSF podcast?;) i'll leave it up you all of you...
Heh. I though for sure that Teh Steve was taking a poke at the 50 inch iPlasmatictosh.