Magic Mouse-- 24 hours later

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by vincenz, Oct 30, 2009.

1. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

I had been waiting for this mouse for months. When they were first announced, I ran to the nearest Apple Store to try it out with the new iMacs and I was sort of disappointed at first because of the "sharp" edges everyone was talking about and was initially doubtful about the gestures.

Knowing this, I still picked one up anyway yesterday when they hit stores individually and after 24 hours of solid usage, I have to say it's also the best mouse I've owned. This is not an ergonomic mouse. It wasn't meant to be. If you are prone to neurological or orthopedic problems in your hand, best to go with another mouse. It's not a power user's mouse either. If you need 14 different hot buttons because you're a multitasker or gamer, this was not meant for you. There are other mice out there for that. For the normal user though, which is what a lot of Mac users are, it's almost perfect.

The edges are not sharp at all once you sit down at a desk and use it. At a store while standing up at a counter, the mouse feels entirely different and I wish people wouldn't disregard it simply at first trial. The gestures become second nature after about a few hours. You'll feel like you've been using it for years and Apple scores a lot of points in my book for that. It really becomes intuitive. When we sit down at a computer at work, the keyboard is just a keyboard and the mouse is just a mouse. Not so much for this. I don't remember the last time I used a computer peripheral and had to stop what I was doing and actively marvel at how well it works. We need products like these. Without conceptual designs like this that actually make it into the real world, we'd never progress technologically, aesthetically, nor as humans. The mouse feels very cutting edge and it works really well in my opinion. I feel like people who have dismissed it early haven't really had the chance with it for more than half an hour standing at an Apple Store table.

Personally, I don't see the tap-to-click function coming to this mouse. It'd be too easy to misclick if you ever lifted your hand off the mouse, which will happen. As for three finger swiping, I'm doubtful of that too. The surface might be too restrictive for three fingers. I have relatively small hands and the mouse feels just the right size. Two fingers are already cutting it close. I could see them giving us the option of remapping the two-finger gestures though because I'm pretty sure it's all software.

The two plastic tracks that the mouse rests on might sound a little loud at first moving on a bare wooden desk, but after just a few hours, it starts to break in and becomes completely smooth. I'm not sure why some people were complaining about the tracking speed too. I have a 23" widescreen and the tracking speed is set to about 60%.

Build quality and design are pure Apple. I've never seen a more beautiful mouse to be honest-- even the people who dislike the mouse will have to concede that, I think. You really pay for the attention to details. Just remove the battery latch at the bottom and see what I mean. So this is mainly for the people who are still on the fence about it, if it helps you decide. But as with all Apple products, the reputation really just precedes itself. It'll sell no matter how many hate on it. There were only three left when I got to the store yesterday, so no need for more testimonial. If you really need Dashboard or Expose, use keyboard shortcuts or hot corners for the time being. Making small concessions like these are part of the design process. Design doesn't just stop with the designers-- it extends to the user also. I'm sure Apple or some other programmer will allow it in the future with an update.

I don't know how I'm going to face the Dell mouse at work anymore after this. It's like how I can't stand to use other laptop trackpads after using the new glass trackpads on the unibodies.

2. calderone macrumors 68040

calderone

Nice review. I can tell you that I won't be using mine. Within minutes of sitting down with mine I knew it wasn't going to work. My hands are far too large to use this mouse comfortably. I am not sure why I expected it to be any better than the mighty mouse. Shame on me.

I will say it is designed well and does not have the sharp edges everyone has mentioned (at least mine doesn't).

3. dborja macrumors 6502a

Very well said! Thanks for the feedback.

Mine is waiting for me at home as Fedex had just delivered it. I did try it at the Apple store and I compensated as best as I could to simulate my workstation (squatted to get the right height, L-shaped bicep-elbow-arm posture, etc) and I came to the same conclusions as you did. I may have finally met "the" mouse for me...

4. maclook macrumors 65816

good review. i'm a normal user too meaning i dont want a mouse with 10 buttons, thats just ridiculous. i want a mouse with two buttons and the middle button is great but i can make compromises. like i said, i need two buttons and the mighty mouse had problems registering my right clicks. have you found any problems with right clicks without lifting your index finger?

5. Surely Guest

Surely

The thing is that everyone is prone to these problems.

You may not have any neuro problems such as carpel tunnel yet, but after heavy use and repetitive motion with a device that is not designed in an ergonomic way, neuro issues can develop.

6. srl7741 macrumors 68020

srl7741

Nice review and I agree with most said, keeping all that in mind I'm returning mine already. It's warped or not level and rocks back and forth on any surface I have it placed on. It's hard to describe but the bottom of the mouse is not level.

Other than this small issue, I really like the mouse. Scrolling has never been better. Apple did a nice job with this one. I wish is moved a little better (faster) and it's shape is a little odd but I still like the mouse. It could be a little wider and a little shorter and I would be much happier.

7. Goaliegeek macrumors 6502a

Goaliegeek

Right on. Ugh. so many people using the mouse right now. i want mine wahhahahha. Ordered it on release day. FedEx says should be delivered tomorrow.

8. vincenz thread starter macrumors 601

vincenz

Yeh, if you have big hands, it probably won't work unfortunately. I have pretty small hands and it just fits me perfectly. I think they could've made the mouse about 1/4" wider, but they'd have to compensate the length of it also. But doing that would throw off the proportion with the keyboard too and you know that wouldn't fly with Steve Jobs.

As for right click, you have to lift your index finger off for it to register. I haven't had any problems with right click registering though. I think most people involuntarily lift their index finger when right clicking anyway. I know I do.

I'm not going to rule out that I'm going to be more prone to carpal tunnel as I get older, but right now at my age, I haven't had any problems yet. Crossing my fingers. It's like fashion over comfort. Women and men wear shoes with heels that have been proven to be counter-intuitive to the way we walk naturally, but many do so for years with no problems. Of course there's always going to be a percentage that it will happen to though.

9. MacBlackBook22 macrumors 6502

MacBlackBook22

Great review ... I totally agree its a great mouse and perfect for me. I found I never used the 2 side buttons on mighty mouse and at times found them quite a nuisance. The only must have for me in a mouse is the ability to go back and forward in webpages and with the swipe of the magic mouse it is smooth and so nice to know that I won't have any more trouble with the ball getting dirty and not allowing me to scroll up and down on pages.

I don't forsee any problems with the shape of it. I think my wrist will be resting on the desk more than it did with the mighty mouse as its taller.

10. Buzz Bumble Guest

Just as an added extra, some of the reviews I've read are going on about the "new" feature of zooming in the screen by holding down the Control key while using the one-finger scroll gesture ... the fact is that this feature has been available with the Mighty Mouse for along time (hold down the Control key and scroll with the ball). :)

11. maclook macrumors 65816

thanks for the answer. as a former pc user i have a tendency to keep both of my fingers on the mouse. just one more question, have you tried momentum scrolling? im wondering if it feels as fluid and natural as the iphone

12. vincenz thread starter macrumors 601

vincenz

Oh I think you'll get used to it really quickly, lifting the index finger when right clicking. I came from a PC too and I didn't even notice myself doing it.

The momentum scrolling works extremely well, very fluid. I found that the perfect setting is two notches from the slowest scrolling speed. It feels most like the iPhone like that. You'll have to adjust it in the preferences panel. It's a little too fast for my tastes out of the box.

13. rdowty macrumors 6502a

rdowty

I had a similar experience and didn't like it the first time I played with it. After using it for a couple days and finally nailing down the tracking speed I like I'm hooked. Compared the the Mighty Mouse it replaced the scrolling is effortless and clicking has a positive feel.

14. icBigMike macrumors newbie

One hour into using it....I LOVE IT! Completely resolved my "jumpy" issue I had with the Microsoft Notebook Bluetooth 5000 Mouse and now that is in the desk drawer waiting to be sold. My hands are big, and it will take a bit more to get used to, but so far...i'm loving it!

15. glossywhite macrumors 65816

glossywhite

*Love* Magic mouse, but *HATE* that I cannot use momentum scrolling on Leopard 10.5.8!!. What's that all about?!.

16. Dybbuk macrumors 6502a

Yeah, exactly ... for sure it doesn't need to be molded to every finger, but the Magic Mouse was designed in a way that seemingly disregards the shape of the human hand.

I sincerely think this mouse is all gimmick after an admittedly short period with it. It's too low, for sure, that's the deal breaker for me -- low profile and slippery plastic make it very uncomfortable to hold. However, the build and aesthetics are perfect.

As for momentum scrolling, it's mostly a gimmick IMO. On the iPhone it's useful because of the way content is read, but for a mouse ... regular scrolling is more accurate. I installed SmartScroll and tried it with my trackpad and mouse, and turned it off quickly. It's just not accurate enough. My experience with the Magic Mouse was similar ... better, but similar. The funny thing is, momentum scrolling would not be necessary if it just had a normal scrollwheel, but because it is so arduous to scroll long distances on the Magic Mouse without it, it's a necessary implementation. The 360 scrolling is awesome, though.

No Expose function on a mouse designed by Apple is absolutely absurd. No excuses for this, period.

One thing I must give Apple credit for is that they are the masters of Bluetooth; I never noticed this mouse wasn't wired.

In the end, touch works amazing for a trackpad, but if Apple really wanted to do something like this ... they should have released a Bluetooth trackpad, instead. It would have been infinitely more useful. This mouse doesn't seem to know what it wants to be.

17. queshy macrumors 68040

queshy

Thanks for teh review. Having just got my magic mouse, I can say I'm very happy with it. Scrolling is awesome! I miss having the expose/dashboard buttons, though. Hopefully they'll give us new gestures for that stuff,

18. glossywhite macrumors 65816

glossywhite

I mean come on - HOW hard is it to see 2/3 fingertips down + click to signify middle click for Expose?. L_A_M_E_!

19. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I think you're spot on with regards to most of your review. I believe that you're not entirely accurate about the idea of not having a three-finger gesture coming to the mouse. There is actually a very natural space for this and I have average-sized female hands that are probably fatter than most.

I also believe tap to click should be there and won't be in the way. If you have your finger resting then moving it off the mouse will not "accidentally" click. However, putting it down may if you cannot control the sensitivity of the tap to click. I think if a trackpad could go without getting in the way then so can this mouse.

In store and outside of the store I do not find the edges sharp. These people complaining about that likely say the edges of their notebooks are too sharp. I think they need to find a nice plastic machine as well.

My experience, like you, in store was very different and I suspected that. Anyone with half a mind would be able to apply some logic and say that their desk and chair aren't sitting as you would at the Apple store.

So far, after a half's day use I love the mouse. I do believe there is a tracking lag on a 30" ACD to a point where it's important to turn the tracking up to at least 75%.

Not having a scroll wheel was odd to me at first but within minutes it was very natural to use my fingers to scroll. However, I also use a notebook so scrolling with two fingers is very natural and I use two fingers on the mouse, which by the way is harmless.

20. v66jack macrumors 6502a

v66jack

I bought my magic mouse today at an Apple store, for some reason they dont have them on display in the UK but if you ask they seem happy to sell you one from the store room!

In store I couldn't really see what all the fuss was about but bought one anyway and am I glad I did! Literally took me minutes to master, I guess its a sort of step up from the macbook trackpad, and really don't know how I'm going to take going back to a regular mouse on Monday at the office!

Its a great mouse dont get me wrong, but I would like to see the three finger gesture to view all your windows individually, and can't work out why Apple dont make mice in different sizes! Everything else which we use comes in various sizes from keyboards to socks so why does the mouse only have one size??

Apart from that love it! :)

21. maclook macrumors 65816

I'm a bit confused. Apple's keyboards are one size, just one has a keypad on the side. Mice don't come in S/M/L sizes from anyone else either. Companies like Logitech have portable mice and then full sized mice but it's not like a small version for small hands and a large version for large hands.

22. glossywhite macrumors 65816

glossywhite

He means that there is no stock on the SHELVES, but they ARE on display, attached to iMacs to try out; just wanted to clarify this!.

Apple, for goodness SAKE - I am, for all intents and purposes, a Mac evangelist like no other... but you have severely crippled me with:

1/ No expose trigger!

2/ No momentum scrolling on 10.5.8

What is the reason for this?. I was dying to get home and try out my new mouse - but ESPECIALLY momentum scrolling... PAH!, I say!.

23. v66jack macrumors 6502a

v66jack

What I meant was if you have big hands then you can go and buy a big mouse, if you have smaller hands you can go and buy a small portable mouse, it dosent matter who makes it because they all do the same thing anyway! Whereas the Apple mouse s sort of individual, so many people complain because its too small, surely they could just make a a big and small one, to make it more comfortable for people with large hands!

The same applies with keyboards you get those ergonomic ones with massive keys in the middle which apparently people with big hands find easier to use than traditional keyboards! :)

24. Theclamshell macrumors 68030

i just broght mine home like 45 min ago, THIS BELONGS IN A MUSEUM!

25. Decrepit macrumors 65816

Decrepit

Got mine a few hours ago, and really like it. It's going to take getting used to, I have large hands as well.

I like the feel. The scrolling is cool, I'm looking forward to the day that they get pinch on there. That will rule.

We'll see how it works for me after a few days of usage, but so far, so good. No misses, same sensitivity as my MX Revolution, etc.

I just wish Apple would release a full size bluetooth keyboard. This tiny one doesn't work for me. The tiny arrows, the function key which I have yet to use, but keeps screwing me up, etc.

And while I'm whining, I'd like an iSight for my Mini.

Ok, got it out of my system. Thank you for your time. :)