magic mouse haters - speak

Discussion in 'iMac' started by skiltrip, Feb 15, 2011.

1. skiltrip macrumors 68030

i was curious to try out the magic mouse that came with my new iMac. I wanted to like it, though my initial impression from trying it out at the Apple Store was that I would hate it.

Well, I hate it. The tracking is slow and lazy. The gestures don't work half the time unless you hold the mouse with your left hand to steady it. Though the vertical scrolling is cool. My $20 Logitech V220 notebook mouse runs circles around it tracking-wise. And the low profile is just, well, make it silly. Makes it unusable for the most part. And my hands are average for a guy. Probably on the smaller size.

How many of you actually use this thing, and how many cast it aside? I might stick mine on eBay and buy my +4GB ram upgrade with the money.

2. flipster macrumors 6502a

I own a logitech mx performance mouse. Way better, dark field technology, its big, and customizable buttons.

I would never get a magic moise. Reason being is that I game, its small, its awkward, there no buttons... and there's no scroll ball. I know apple is about innovation, but they failed with this mouse. a mouse is a mouse, and changing it to something completely different is useless imo, and its just harder and more annoying to use. the design is sexy though.

3. karsten macrumors 6502a

karsten

about the only downside i see to it is that you can't hold down a right click then left click, needed for gaming, and the middle click is tenuous. that should have been easy to remedy for them

4. duotone macrumors newbie

I got one for my B.Day and about fell off my chair. I love those things, the curves, and all of it's glossy goodness..... then I used it, for a week. Painful experience.

I swapped it out for a track pad thingy and I LOVE this thing.

5. skiltrip thread starter macrumors 68030

Yeah. I really liked the Trackpad on my MBP a lot. I miss it. But I'm not sure about using one with a desktop. It's just a different vibe. When I was editing audio though on my MBP, I usually hooked up my little Logitech mouse and disabled the trackpad.

I can't get over how cool this Magic Mouse looks but how badly it works. I feel bad for people who force themselves to use this because it looks so nice. Lol.

6. aggri1 macrumors 6502

I find that it's just far too small. My fingertips hang way over the front end, and because of the batteries, it's heavy and awkward to manipulate without a good grip - which I can't get comfortably. And I too find the tracking slow and mushy.

It makes my hand hurt to use it.

Stupid thing. I have a plain cheapo Microsoft (!) optical mouse which works much better.

A.

7. RuggedPro macrumors regular

When I tested the mouse at the store I hated it. Gave me hand cramps being so low profile. I have big paws. Not to mention it pinched my fingers hanging over the side anytime I clicked.

When I got my imac though I figured out how to use it. I have it on a smooth low friction surface so the only contact I make with the mouse are my pointer and middle finger. No other part of my hand or fingers contact the mouse. Gestures are spot on and movement is great once I cranked up the tracking. I'm decently happy with it.

My only complaint is the accuracy of right click. I set it to do so with the right side of the mouse a-la windows, but it's accuracy is only about 75%.

8. Surely Guest

Surely

I love my MM. I've been using it for over a year now.

I bought the Magic Trackpad, but returned it after a week or so.

The features it comes with are limited. Download BetterTouchTool and customize your MM to your liking.

The tracking is slow and lazy? Then just increase the tracking speed in you Mouse Settings.

9. RuggedPro macrumors regular

DUDE!!!!!!!! Incredible link! I was just thinking, "why cant I just tap the mouse?". Many thanks!

10. nStyle macrumors 65816

Just bought a new iMac.. the base 27".

I figured I would love the MM and it is obvious now that the mouse is a poor design since so many people are having problems with it.

I just can't use it. I went back to my Logitech notebook mouse and it is just so much better.

The mouse is sexy, and I want to use it, but I can't.

I am going to download a 3rd party program like the one listen in this thread sooner or later, but it doesn't seem like Apple should leave out such settings out of the box. Even when tracking speed is on super fast setting, the mouse still goes horribly slow. This is something I don't understand...

11. dh2005 macrumors 6502a

Drove me absolutely nuts. I gave it to my father, along with the wireless keyboard.

12. Sirobin macrumors 6502

Sirobin

I’m on the fence...I’m using BTT, and I absolutely LOVE the gestures. Like, I don’t think I could ever go back to another mouse full time. But I hate the ergonomics, poor tracking, terrible reception (especially with my Mac Pro) and complete worthlessness for gaming.

13. Meyvn macrumors 6502

This x1000. On both counts. I can't tell you how many customers I've heard complain about the tracking on the Magic Mouse who don't know that setting is adjustable.

And yeah, BTT. LOVE BTT, for the Magic Mouse & Trackpad. Until I discovered it, I couldn't imagine leaving my ol' Logitech VX Revolution. Now I can't imagine going back. Of course, the amount of gestures I have on mine would confuse the hell out of a stranger who approached my iMac, but dayum. What functionality.

The one complaint I *do* still have is that I can't find a good way to do screen zoom on the Magic Mouse or Trackpad. For whatever reason--BTT or Apple--there's no such thing as a "button hold" on these devices, no matter how you configure it, as far as I can tell.

14. John T macrumors 68020

John T

Reading most of these threads, it seems the Magic Mouse has one advantage. It gives the wingers something to winge about! ;)

15. mjsmke macrumors 6502a

I love the magic mouse too. I get cramps if i use a taller mouse.

To those of you who moan about the MM for games... What are you doing with a Mac for games? Go out and buy a playstation or whatever you call them.

16. excommie macrumors regular

I actually bought the mouse for my 24" iMac when it came out.
    I liked the features, but couldn't use it as the only mouse.
    I used it for browsing, but whenever I had to work in iMovie, Final Cut Express or even GIMP, I had to revert back to my Logitech, as MM was difficult to track accurately, caused hand cramps and was just not comfortable.

After few months, my iMac started randomly waking up from sleep, looked at the logs and it apparent that some mouse event woke the iMac. This was a known issue at the time, with no resolution (I don't know if this issue was fixed in 10.6.5 or 10.6.6). I sold the mouse on ebay and I'm happy ever since.

17. Teggy macrumors newbie

I like it for regular use, and I have BTT installed. Being able to scroll with one finger without moving it over is great. However, it's a big problem with games. In a lot of games the scroll wheel does something like zoom in and out or change weapons, and with those settings everything goes crazy with the slightest move of a finger. Middle mouse can be tough as well. I've turned off the scroll feature in BTT for some games, but I would really like a better gesture solution or I'll have to switch to a regular mouse for gaming. I need to look at BTT tips more, because I haven't done a ton of research into it.

18. Stonefly macrumors regular

Stonefly

I use this program MagicPrefs for my mm and love it. Like the program already mentioned you can customize it to your liking.

19. TMRaven macrumors 68020

TMRaven

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

No, there's plenty of games for pc that aren't for ps3 or xbox-- not to mention a lot give better experience on pc than consoles.

On the topic: I have no problems at all with the mm, in fact I highly prefer it to the ergonomic logitech I have for casual computer use. The logitech only comes into play for gaming.

20. MR.Raul macrumors regular

MR.Raul

Only good thing about the magic mouse is when you look at it, but use it... no thxs.
    Got the settings on max, but the mouse pointer is still super slow.
    Just got the logitech mx performance mouse and it rules.

21. TMRaven macrumors 68020

TMRaven

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

You can make its tracking speed pretty fast with better touch tool.

22. Surely Guest

Surely

You can make its tracking speed pretty fast with the regular Mouse Settings.

I see no difference in tracking speed between my MBP's trackpad, the Magic Trackpad that I used to have, a Logitech M305, and my Magic Mouse.:confused:

It's almost as if people want the pointer to move before the mouse is moved........or by their thoughts.....

23. skiltrip thread starter macrumors 68030

Not true. With both the MM and my Logitech plugged in. Mouse speed at 50%, they move at VERY different speeds. The Logitech is normal while I need to pick up the magic mouse and place it back at the other side of the mouse pad and start again to make it across the screen.

24. TMRaven macrumors 68020

TMRaven

Nah it tracks way faster with btt. I was almost debating on buying another mouse for general usage until I learned about btt.

25. krimsen macrumors member

Another MM hater here. I'm using a Logitech for gaming and the Trackpad for everything else. As someone else already stated, there is no way to get the MM to track as fast as other mice / the Trackpad (at least without 3rd party tools).

Gave the MM to my dad, too. He seems to like it.