Magic Mouse in Apple Stores

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by oneflow, Oct 21, 2009.

1. oneflow macrumors newbie

Anyone have theses in their Apple store yet? checked today and not in denver.

2. number1ftg macrumors newbie

Can't find a store in Los Angeles with them yet.

3. oneflow thread starter macrumors newbie

4. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

When are the stores saying they're going to get them?

5. rkdiddy macrumors 65816

rkdiddy

ended up purchasing mine from the online store. Shipping is 5-7 business days. :(

6. skorpien macrumors 68020

Seems like they're gonna be true to their word about the end of the month/early next month. Seems like all of the stores are hopeful they'll have them in stock this/next week, but it seems it's just speculation and nothing more at this point :( I really wanted to get one!

7. sukanas macrumors 6502a

sukanas

hm.. i wonder howd they display securly at the store w/out wires..

8. MasterDev macrumors 65816

Most likely a sensor glued to the side, or a sensor attached to it connecting it to the table.

9. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I planned on calling today and going by if they had one.

10. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Pricing & Availability
    Magic Mouse comes standard with the new iMac and is available at the end of October through the Apple Store® (www.apple.com), at Apple’s retail stores and Apple Authorized Resellers for a suggested retail price of $69 (US). Magic Mouse requires Mac OS X Leopard® version 10.5.8 or later.

11. stagi macrumors 65816

stagi

I checked a few stores in the bay area on Tuesday and they said they should have them in around the end of the week. i'll check back today :)

12. stagi macrumors 65816

stagi

Looks like bay area stores will have them in next week

13. rdowty macrumors 6502a

rdowty

Just called the local store and after going through this with previous new products I can pretty safely say either they have it or they don't but if they don't the store clerks have no idea when they'll get it.

Call and ask if its there but don't even bother asking when they'll get it.

14. ZMacintosh macrumors 65816

ZMacintosh

stopped by a local apple store to look at the new iMac's and I was thoroughly impressed with them. they look dwarfed next to everything else but the sound quality and the video quality was superb for a all in one.

they had wireless keyboard magic mouse on display (they had some special sensor on it, the same that are on the iPhones and iPodsconnected to them) and they were really intuitive; especially if you have used a trackpad before.

one thing i wasnt used to is pressing down to get dashboard...but ive weened off it sort of with my macbook haha.

the new imacs were running 10.6.1 so it must be a firmware or special software setting to get the magicmouse to work with it because i tried pairing it with my aluminum macbook it found it but didnt do anything without the software.

they feel nice, im sure itd feel nicer had i used it sitting like i normally would at a desk in a chair instead of standing.

the 27" doesnt seem to take up much space at all and the enclosure looks just like my macbook unibody.
    the weight of it didnt seem too bad either and it stayed in the position i angled it at, i tried it all the way up (as far as it would angle up) and as far as it would adjust downward and even incremental angles...it didnt budge..so the stand with it is solid and sturdy for all that packed into it.

i know this is a magic mouse thread...but thought id throw in a bit review for both.

15. maghemi macrumors 6502

Chadstone in Melbourne has the mice with the iMacs. Just been in to have a play with them.

Personally I don't like the ergonomics of them. They're awkward to use, especially the two finger swipe. And they're too low profile.

I can see that they will be better to use that the Mighty Mouse from the stand point of the scroll ball, but thats about it really.

For me with a big hand it just doesn't 'Fill the palm' like a mouse should in my opinion.

The store had those sensor things stuck to them, but at the back which also made it quite awkward to test as well as the cords attached were just too short.

I won't be buying one just for the sake of having one. Maybe if I ever get a new machine I might give one a crack for a while, but I'm not overly convinced they're that good.

16. ziggyonice macrumors 68020

ziggyonice

They've got them on display at a couple locations.

[​IMG]

The security cord looks terrible. It's going to make people think it's a wired mouse.

17. guitargoddsjm macrumors 6502

At least it's clean looking. The security sensors used by most stores look like absolute garbage:

[​IMG]

18. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

Went by the local store today too, they have the new iMacs on display with the Magic Mice, played with one for a bit. Pretty cool, the most annoying thing about it is actually the sensor thing, who'd think to put it on the back of the mouse, not the front?

Anyway, asked an employee, and got the same answer as everyone else - sometime next week.

19. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

Cool I'm planning on getting one of these.

To you Mighty Mouse haters: Now what are you going to complain about? It's scroll-ball-less. :D

20. dinojr macrumors member

I click the wheel on my mouse (Middle click?) to open webpages in new tabs.

Is there a middle click on this Magic Mouse?

21. bbotte macrumors 65816

bbotte

You know with all the Eco friendly stuff Apple is pushing, they use replaceable batteries for this? Why is this thing not rechargeable? If it were rechargeable, I would buy it. Alas it isn't, so I will pass.

22. MacBoobsPro macrumors 603

MacBoobsPro

Buy rechargeable batteries and recharge them. :rolleyes:

23. rkdiddy macrumors 65816

rkdiddy

I'm sure they will find something. Like the top collects finger prints or the bottom is too slippery. :D

As far as the placement of the security cord - I think the person that mentioned it looks like it is corded, hit the nail on the head. If you place the security cord on the top - it looks just like it is a corded mouse.

24. jamesarm97 macrumors 65816

I have a mighty mouse that just sits nearby. I use a corded optical microsoft mouse instead. I loved the scrollball, but half the time it did not work (would scroll down but not up, even after trying to clean). I also found that the squeeze buttons were a little sensitive and would always activate. I hold the mouse with my thumb and ring finger on the sides instead of palming the whole thing. I think I will try one of the new mice as soon as our local store gets them in.

25. Cozmo85 macrumors regular

id argue built in batteries are more likely to end up in a landfill cause the product will just get tossed. Where rechargables people could remove and recycle