Magic Mouse or Magic Trackpad?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by atlas shrugged, Apr 5, 2011.

1. atlas shrugged macrumors newbie

Hi All,

I am a new MBP (and Mac) user. As I have a external monitor (Cinema Display), I am considering the Magic Mouse or Magic Trackpad.

What are your thoughts on which one is better? I am a long-time mouse user in the Windows environment, but am starting to enjoy the trackpad that comes with the MBP.

I work mainly in photo editing, office documents, and webs surfing. No gaming.

Thanks!

2. Sodner macrumors 68020

Sodner

I have both the mouse and trackpad on my iMac. I am "trying" to switch over to the trackpad only so that I have the same gestures on both my MacBook Air and my iMac desktop.

I would suggest you try the trackpad. I believe its Apple's intention to have the mouse go the way of the floppy drive.

3. John T macrumors 68020

John T

Where did you get that idea from?

4. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

Trackpad - Apple's MBP trackpads are to die for, and I imagine the Magic Trackpad is much the same :D

5. -SD- macrumors 6502

The Trackpad is far superior; the Mouse is too low to use correctly. If you want a mouse I'd suggest anything other than Apple's.

:apple:

6. NJFP macrumors 6502

I love my Magic Mouse. The motions are the same on trackpad or mouse, and it's blistering fast!! And the batteries lasted for over a year. I vote mouse.

7. joiede macrumors newbie

Go with the trackpad

The mouse has a slight drag on the desk surface, the trackpad is much kinder to your hand ergonomically, and if you've gotten used to it on your MacBook you won't want to go back to a mouse. ever.

8. iggypod macrumors 6502a

iggypod

After having both, I personally always prefer the trackpad. Easy to use and very natural with gestures.

9. Big D 51 macrumors 6502a

Big D 51

10. atlas shrugged thread starter macrumors newbie

Bought the Magic Trackpad today. Thanks for your comments.

11. ngenerator macrumors 68000

ngenerator

Do what I did: start out with both and see which one gets the most use.

I ended up returning my Trackpad, even though it was really cool and slick at the beginning. I just didn't want a $70 paperweight that I only used maybe 10 minutes a week.

12. iLucas macrumors 6502

Nice choice, out of the magic mouse and trackpad, I prefer the trackpad.

13. frunkis54 macrumors 65816

frunkis54

I love both the only thing that slightly bothers me is that my trackpad isn't completly level and is weird pressing once in awhile.

14. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

I'd vote for mouse, but with Lion coming out and all the gestures that are on there, the trackpad doesn't seem like such a bad idea...

I don't know, I'm a traditionalist. Trackpads are on laptops, mice are for desktops (which is what yours is when hooked up basically).

15. blevins321 macrumors 68030

+1. I can't figure out if it's not tilted enough, or its tilted too much. I notice that it's most comfortable to use sideways with your arm not pointed straight.

16. jonnysods macrumors 603

jonnysods

Get the mouse. It's great, and then get Magic Prefs.

17. Shenandoah1865 macrumors newbie

Trackpad, YES!

I bought a Magic Mouse when I got my MBP and used it for about a week. I've never been a fan of trackpads on PC laptops, but the one on my 2009 15" MBP is a dream. Poor little mouse just sits there all alone now gathering dust mice.;)

18. jbyun04 macrumors 6502a

jbyun04

Don't understand how anyone could use the trackpad for photo editing. Get the mouse if that's what you do most of the time. If it's only occasional and you're mostly browsing and such the trackpad will be fine.

19. Mickyfin macrumors 6502

Mickyfin

Magic Trackpad all day long, love my set up now, took a little getting used to but now, love it.!

[​IMG]

20. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

Thats Windows talk! :eek:

21. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

I have both. It's good to switch from time to time.

As to preference, I really like the feel of the glass surface on the trackpad (and that's one of my favorite features of my UB MBP). I suppose it's more comfortable for extended use than the Magic Mouse. However, this mouse is one of the most comfortable Apple has come up with. My only complaint is the using a plastic touch surface, rather than the glass of the trackpads (it's easy to be spoiled by that).

Accuracy for something like PS, I suppose I'm still more used to a mouse simply because of the years of use. But, if I'm doing a lot of retouching (for instance), I'll still bring out the Wacom.

22. Primejimbo macrumors 68040

I have a Magic Trackpad but don't use it for the same as you do. I have a Mini for entertainment system and the Magic Trackpad for it. I like that it's on the arm of the couch and easy to use.

23. johnnyturbouk macrumors 68000

johnnyturbouk

on the yellow [oled] brick road to tech nirvana.
    they are ;)

i owned a MM then sold it after the first time i used it - not really a good mouse and i grew to love the trackpad(TP) on my MBP

i then ordered the wireless TP to go with the wireless keyboard - as i depise typing on a notebook keyboard, especially the MBP

no regrets.. it takes some getting used to even from the MBP-TP to the wireless one but i really love my TP

24. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

Don't worry, I've given up on Windows for the past 2.5 years already :)

25. OceanView macrumors 65816

Do you notice any delay when using a wireless keyboard or the trackpad?