Magic Mouse with Expose and Dashboard

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Shawnstra, Oct 21, 2009.

1. Shawnstra macrumors regular

So, will there be any way to evoke expose and dashboard on the new mouse? I don't use dashboard that frequently, but I do use expose all the time. So, is there like some sort of multitouch gesture or any way to evoke such functions?

2. swindmill macrumors 6502a

swindmill

I had the exact same question. I use the mighty mouse with Spaces and Expose. I can't imagine they would leave this type of functionality out of their newest mouse.

3. icecone macrumors regular

I have the same question too
    Squeeze is the perfect "button" for expose and the middle click for opening the page in a new tab(in firefox/safari)
    Now the new mouse is magically lacking basic functions:mad:
    Innovative, but not productive

4. kristoffer4 macrumors 6502a

kristoffer4

5. pastrychef macrumors 601

pastrychef

Maybe it can be implemented via the swipe gestures??

6. Shawnstra thread starter macrumors regular

I guess it's faster using a dedicated button. Also, my corners are all used up! I have them for turn off screen, screensaver, show desktop, etc.

btw, i'm still getting it. small sacrifice to make I guess, maybe i'll use the corners, i'll replace the corners with expose and dashboard. thanks for the suggestion!

and, I also hope third party software that will probably use certain gestures to evoke these functions.

7. bobpensik macrumors regular

It seems foolish of Apple to create a mouse which does not have the ability to easily access such key processes as Expose, Spaces and Dashboard!!

This looks like a great mouse, but if I have to give up click access to Expose and Spaces its not going to work for me

8. rekhyt macrumors 65816

They could add the side detections for the mouse-Since the whole top is multi-touch, just installing a driver from Apple if they decide to do that would just do the trick I think.

9. mdwsta4 macrumors 65816

i was wondering this same thing. i use dashboard quite often. seems stupid to remove this additional feature from the mouse.

that said, i played with the new magic mouse at the apple store the other day and it is really nice.

10. rekhyt macrumors 65816

Is using the mouse awkward? (You have to actually "press" for the mouse to register clicks. (I was kinda expecting that you could just tap like on the iPod Touch)

Is it too big/uncomfortable/heavy with the batteries?? Many bad reviews out there.

11. miki66 macrumors 6502

miki66

12. powerbook911 macrumors 68040

powerbook911

I don't always have my hands on keyboard, but usually have a hand on the mouse. Plus I can't see my keyboard, I have it in cubby hole. Ok, that isn't important. ha.

No, but it's true, squeezing for expose is VERY convenient.

From what I understand, you can squeeze the new Magic Mouse, BUT it does DASHBOARD and Dashboard ONLY :(

13. mdwsta4 macrumors 65816

where did you hear that? Haven't read that anywhere.

14. Techhie macrumors 65816

Techhie

I haven't seen this in any of the SysPref menus, but it might be recognized as a 4th mouse button in the expose and spaces pane? Hopefully Apple implements some new gestures in 10.6.2 :D

15. liquidtrend macrumors 6502

liquidtrend

you can squeeze the new magic mouse all you want, but nothing is going to happen. it does not invoke dashboard.

just came from an apple store and was plenty sad since i was a firm believer of the expose squeeze.

16. Techhie macrumors 65816

Techhie

hopefully they will do something, that is the biggest selling point of any mouse for most of us. (summoning expose/dash)

17. rekhyt macrumors 65816

Direct opposite of me. I always keep my hands on the keyboard. (That's why Launchy in Windows and Quicksilver/Spotlight in Mac is awesome for me. :D)

I would like to know too. Hopefully they can enable it by adding drivers, since I think the touch sensitive things are covering all the top surface of the mouse.

Really? I love the 360 degrees scroller-Very useful for designing. And also love the form. It's like a better version of the Arc.

18. powerbook911 macrumors 68040

powerbook911

Sorry guys about thinking it had the "Squeeze function."

I have a hard time distinguishing memory of my dreams from what I actual memory. My dreams are usually about the things I work on during the day, Macs, work, etc. so I believe I dreamed about Magic Mouse article that said dashboard worked with a squeeze.

19. AppleThis&That macrumors regular

AppleThis&That

Because it's more effort. ;)

I use the top right corner for 'show desktop' though and the mouse for 'expose' and 'spaces'. But use the MX revolution for this purpose. Great mouse that also gives you zoom and fit to window if needed. Whatever's your bag.

20. brasscat macrumors 6502

brasscat

I actually have a Magic Mouse - and just looked everywhere -- there is no way to mouse-only initiate expose. You can program a corner, or a "right click+key combo" but that's about it.

(I got my Magic Mouse when I purchased an iMac a few days ago. I don't believe they're commonly available by themselves yet.)

21. ziggyonice macrumors 68020

ziggyonice

Hopefully Apple will release a software update down the road to enable the mouse with additional functions (three finger, four finger gestures).

22. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

What kind of hand gesture would you guys think Expose would have, 4 fingers swipe down? I really don't know why the pinch in and out wasn't implied.

23. rekhyt macrumors 65816

What finger would hold the mouse then? The 6th one? :( I prefer the 4 fingers swipe down on the multi-touch trackpad. Squeezing is actually very useful.

24. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

well you would use your palm to hold the mouse steady as you swipe.

25. rekhyt macrumors 65816

In my opinion that wouldn't be that good, since if I'm using my mouse I would like to keep my hands/fingers on it.

I miss the squeeze feature. :\