Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today began selling the MagSafe Duo Charger that was announced alongside the new iPhone 12 models back in October. Priced at $129, the MagSafe Duo offers a MagSafe charging puck for the iPhone 12, 12 Pro, 12 Pro Max, and 12 mini, along with an Apple Watch charger.

magsafe-duo-charger.jpg

Though the accessory was announced in October and was listed as coming soon, it was not clear when it would launch. Orders placed today will deliver as soon as Thursday, December 3 when shipped, and it is not available for pickup in retail stores yet.

The MagSafe Duo features a foldable design for easier portability, and it ships with a USB-C to Lightning cable. The Apple Watch charging puck can be used flat, but there's also an option to pop it up to charge the Apple Watch upright. The MagSafe charging portion does not have the same pop up option.

Before purchasing, it's worth noting that the MagSafe Duo is not able to charge an iPhone 12 model at the full 15 watts supported by the standalone MagSafe charger. Instead, it is able to charge at a maximum of 14W when paired with the appropriate charger.

Despite the high price point, the MagSafe Duo does not ship with a power adapter. When paired with the 20W USB-C power adapter from Apple, it can charge an iPhone up to 11W, and when paired with a 27W or higher USB-C power adapter, it can charge at the aforementioned 14W.

Though designed for the iPhone 12 models, Apple says the MagSafe Duo is compatible with older iPhones, the AirPods with Wireless Charging Case, the AirPods Pro, and other devices that support Qi-based wireless charging.

(Thanks, Alex!)

Article Link: MagSafe Duo Charger for iPhone 12 and Apple Watch Now Available for Purchase

Last edited:

triangletechie

macrumors 65816
Apr 21, 2017
NC
I ordered one.. Useful for when I can travel again. One wire instead of multiple.

Besides, $130 isn't exactly a life changing amount of money to some people. If it's too expensive for you, don't buy it. Problem solved!
or if you don't see the value in it, you can also not buy it. I can easily afford it but I try not to waste money.

Digital Dude

macrumors 65816
Thats even more expensive.
I've wanted this one since it came out, but I forgot its name and couldn't find it on the web. When I recklessly stumbled across this thread, I realized it was the same company that made the Zens Liberty glass-top version. My gut tells me it will be more effective than Apple's incarnation. Moreover, this company tests their products before production.

Reactions: dabotsonline

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
Magsafe $40
Apple Watch charger $30
USB-C Cable $20

That's $90. You're simply paying an extra $40 for convenience of travel + one cable to charge both devices at the same. Perfectly reasonable.

Not overpriced.
I got $106. Or MagSafe Charger ($39) + 20W USB-C Adapter ($19) + Apple Watch Charging Cable ($29) +
20W USB-C Adapter/5W USB-A Adapter ($19)

$129 MagSafe Duo requires $49 30W USB-C Adapter for maximum 14W charging, for $72 difference. If you don't mind 11W charging, save $30 with 20W USB-C Adapter. Of course, you can also use one of many cheaper third party USB-C AC adapters as well.

Reactions: dabotsonline
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.