Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

jimmysalg

macrumors 6502
Sep 30, 2007
Miami
I have an Apple Silicone Case and given how weak the magnet seems, I kind of doubt that this HaloLock system will be that secure. With my 11 Pro, I used a Scosche Magic Mount Qi with metal plates, which was generally OK (occasional falling off and connection to vent not very secure). I can't imagine this one being any stronger and would guess weaker. We'll see...
Do you have the MagSafe case? Because I have the MagSafe case and it has extra magnets on the case. no idea how strong the bond is, but I saw a video of a guy with the apple MagSafe charger and it held pretty good.

acousticbiker

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2008
Do you have the MagSafe case? Because I have the MagSafe case and it has extra magnets on the case. no idea how strong the bond is, but I saw a video of a guy with the apple MagSafe charger and it held pretty good.
Yes, I have the MagSafe case and it has a very weak bond to my Scosche Magic Mount Qi (not enough to hold it up). HaloLock or any MagSafe car mount would have to have considerably stronger magnets for it to work in a moving car.

Being able to stick to a MagSafe charger is one thing but holding the weight of the phone up on a mount requires a lot more magnetic strength.

I want to be more optimistic, as an effective car mount is mission critical, but given the relatively early release of HaloLock, I'm assuming there wasn't much opportunity for testing. We could always get lucky, though...

Reactions: jimmysalg

acousticbiker

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2008
I do not know if this works with a MagSafe case, but it does charge an iPhone 12 phone. https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07T1XSNDC/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
There's a lot of car mounts that provide wireless charging that a phone can sit on (with clamps squeezing form the side), including this iOttie recommended by Wirecutter. What is more convenient is something that holds the phone by magnetic force (like this Scosche I used with my iPhone 11 Pro). The hope is that there's something like that which can work with MagSafe phones/cases. So far, the ESR HaloLock seems to be the only one but its effectiveness is unknown yet.

acousticbiker

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2008
I just noticed the ESR product photo shows the MagSafe charging indicator (which I thought was only for official MagSafe accessories, which they don't otherwise claim it to be):

View attachment 975690

I would have thought it would look like this when charging (standard charging screen without MagSafe):

View attachment 975692

bubulol

macrumors 6502a
Mar 7, 2013
Hey, can anyone recommend me an automatic wireless car holder without magnetic/MagSafe?

I cant find anything on EU market, of course there are some model avail on Amazon EU tho

Thanks

acousticbiker

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2008
Here's another one that claims to be MagSafe compatible (but doesn't look like it's officially "Made for MagSafe")"

https://teckape.com/products/teckape™-car-vent-mount-wireless-charger-for-iphone-12

Anyone used products from Teckape before?

royinla14

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2011
Has anyone found a car mount that works with the Apple Magsafe cases? The vent magnet mount I had used does not hold firmly the 12/12 pro. I dont care about charging just want to make sure it holds the phone (but do want to charge with Magsafe charger at home). Any suggestions?

Reactions: rodriguez256

treimche

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 16, 2012
Has anyone found a car mount that works with the Apple Magsafe cases? The vent magnet mount I had used does not hold firmly the 12/12 pro. I dont care about charging just want to make sure it holds the phone (but do want to charge with Magsafe charger at home). Any suggestions?
This is exactly why I created this thread. Hoping to find some nice solutions. That MagBak setup looks nice, but I wonder how thick the case is. I prefer a very very thin minimalistic case on my phone.

acousticbiker

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2008
There are two suggestions in this thread, including one in the post right before yours

subzero123

macrumors regular
Jun 29, 2010
Converted my own and my wife's old iPhone magnetic vent mounts to MagSafe mounts. been using them for days with not a single issue. They hold tight. Get creative. You dont need a company to help

D3ggy

macrumors 6502a
Mar 26, 2019
Converted my own and my wife's old iPhone magnetic vent mounts to MagSafe mounts. been using them for days with not a single issue. They hold tight. Get creative. You dont need a company to help

Please add photos so people can see what you came up with.

Reactions: jimmysalg

beach bum

macrumors demi-goddess
Oct 6, 2011
Philly
For the past few years I've used MagBak cases. It's supposed to be compatible with the MagSafe and are coming out with a little adapter for use in cars. They are really thin, considering the case has magnets. Never had one fall in a car!

Cases: https://magbak.com/products/magbak-for-iphone-12-pro-6-1
Adapter: https://magbak.com/products/magbak-adapter
Thanks for the nod! I purchased the MagBak stand since I was looking for an angled stand that would cradle the MagSafe puck to replace my wireless desk charging stand. Now, all I need is my silver 12 PM?.

edited to include pic.

Attachments

• 39EEE341-9231-4F9D-B728-8E00D343D6DA.jpeg
    39EEE341-9231-4F9D-B728-8E00D343D6DA.jpeg
    96.4 KB · Views: 224

subzero123

macrumors regular
Jun 29, 2010
Magsafe case is plenty strong to hold the phone with puck in the car. Both my naked 12 and my wife MagSafe silicone case on her phone, no issues at all. Even going over big bumps etc

subzero123

macrumors regular
Jun 29, 2010
Please add photos so people can see what you came up with.
I literally just took my standard car magnet off, and put a MagSafe puck on it with 3m double sided tape. Ill get pics later when im home. But basically just picture this with a MagSafe puck. I just took it apart, took out the 4 small magnets in it, and then double sided taped a MagSafe puck from apple onto it and boom. Works perfectly. So basically you could modify ANY car mount to a MagSafe mount. the magnets are PLENTY strong

Reactions: NetMage and Sikh

Sikh

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2011
For all of you currently testing your currently magnet cases with your iPhone 12's, dont you expect it to not work? Most magnet cases / mounts ive seen are a magnet plate and/or sticker for your case and a magnet car mount thats a circle with a magnet in the middle.

The design for MagSafe is a ring of magnets with charging coil in the middle. To me it makes sense that no current magnet mount would work correctly because there's not a ring of magnets to adhere to the ring of magnets in the phone's back. Is my understanding correct or am I missing something?

I just assumed no current magnetic based mounts will work so Im not going to bother picking one up until more come out focusing on the magsafe magnet arrangement but if thats wrong i might as well pick one up now.

treimche

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 16, 2012
For all of you currently testing your currently magnet cases with your iPhone 12's, dont you expect it to not work? Most magnet cases / mounts ive seen are a magnet plate and/or sticker for your case and a magnet car mount thats a circle with a magnet in the middle.

The design for MagSafe is a ring of magnets with charging coil in the middle. To me it makes sense that no current magnet mount would work correctly because there's not a ring of magnets to adhere to the ring of magnets in the phone's back. Is my understanding correct or am I missing something?

I just assumed no current magnetic based mounts will work so Im not going to bother picking one up until more come out focusing on the magsafe magnet arrangement but if thats wrong i might as well pick one up now.
This is exactly my thinking too.

• Angry
Reactions: NetMage and Sikh
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.