Major Apps Still Not Optimized for the iPhone 6/6 Plus

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by davidnyjets, Feb 4, 2015.

1. davidnyjets, Feb 4, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2015

davidnyjets macrumors 6502

davidnyjets

I just don't get it. It's been months and months. Is it that hard of an update? I think what irks me more than anything is that these apps get constant updates but still no iPhone 6 Plus support... A bunch of these apps even utilize iOS 8 features... Touch ID support, widgets, etc.

Chase
    Discover
    Amex
    eBay
    PayPal
    LinkedIn
    My Verizon: looks optimized even though App Store doesn't say so
    ESPN Sportscenter: now just "ESPN" and updated for new resolutions inclduing a new icon
    Pandora: looks optimized even though App Store doesn't say so

2. gordon1234 macrumors 6502a

Sometimes the reason is stupider than you think. My company's mobile division just released an update to one of our apps and didn't include iPhone 6/6x Plus support. When I enquired as to why, it turns out no one on the team had a current generation iPhone and it simply was never tested on one, so they didn't even realize it was something they needed to do (I guess users never complained or the complaints never made it to Engineering). When you have a unified mobile team that develops for multiple platforms, you'd be surprised how little companies sometimes follow the latest developments on a particular platform.

3. SMIDG3T Suspended

SMIDG3T

eBay even showed us their update with the widget compatibility at WWDC I think it was. Unless they found a major bug and had to start from scratch? It's quite pathetic that eBay and PayPal haven't yet even made their apps compatible.

4. MikhailT macrumors 601

It actually is difficult if the interface was custom built to the fullest like hard-coding for the iPhone 5 size instead of using auto-layout. However, even using auto-layout can be problematic in certain cases. Apple's APIs aren't perfect, they have a lot of little bugs that aren't resolved even to this day.

If these apps doesn't feel like a lightweight iOS interface, it means they over-engineer it with a custom interface and it would not be easy to add support for different sizes or higher resolutions.

Touch ID and widgets are much easier to adopt support for in this case than to redesign the interface to support the different sizes, there are no interface change you have to make, they're just pure code.

Apple will eventually set a deadline for all apps to support iPhone 6 Plus resolution/3x mode or they won't be able to update anymore. I suspect this to start happening within 2 years.

5. Fzang macrumors 65816

Fzang

Because sometimes major apps are commissioned to a couple of old coders who think "I don't see the problem. Looks good to me".

And the management says "well, they said it looks good to them".

6. Imory macrumors 6502a

Still no higher resolution support for the TED Talks app, even though it has gone through several "iOS 8 optimisations". Whatever that means?

SpeedTest needs iPhone 6/6 Plus support.

Full Fitness needs an update, badly. What's funny is that their last update from 14 Sep 2013 has the following message:

They haven't even updated it for iOS 7! This is supposedly one of the most popular workout apps across the globe.

7. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

What's worse is some companies use iPhone emulators to test on because management is too cheap to buy a test unit. Where I work we end up using our own personal devices for testing for the same reason.

8. davidnyjets thread starter macrumors 6502

davidnyjets

I do believe that might be the case for smaller companies/apps, but there's no excuse for some of these major places.

Point in case, you would think someone at Chase or Amex used a iPhone 6/6 Plus to test Apple Pay compatibility. Couldn't also pass it off to the dev team to make it compatible with new resolutions?

9. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

That's a matter of you letting your manager/corporate step all over you and use you. If you halted releases because you had no test environment, they'd find a measly $650 in their budget to supply such.

If you had a personal Android device, or a feature phone. You mean to tell me you wouldn't be testing apps at all?

When my boss asked me if I had work email on my phone. I asked him if he was providing a phone, and if corp was going to pay for the data? The answer no, and that was it.

10. chrf097 macrumors 68040

chrf097

Pandora is updated for the iPhone 6/6+.

11. davidnyjets, Feb 5, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2015

davidnyjets thread starter macrumors 6502

davidnyjets

This is what I see in the App Store: http://i.imgur.com/vng6LEP.png

And just opened Pandora on my phone. Just realized it looks optimized. I'm going off the status bar. Strange that they didn't update that the App Store.

12. perkedel macrumors 6502a

perkedel

Wells Fargo app is also one. The ATM locator is not working, and everything is huge when used in iPhone 6 plus. I ended up uninstalling it since using Safari is just as good

13. MikhailT macrumors 601

You obviously never worked at a major company have you?

It does not work like that and despite what you think, dev teams cannot free-willy do stuff without the permission of the corporate/QA managers.

14. timdawes macrumors member

15. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

thanks for explaining what I was too lazy to type out :)

16. Fozamo macrumors member

17. davidnyjets, Feb 5, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2015

davidnyjets thread starter macrumors 6502

davidnyjets

Actually work at a company that employees anywhere between 800-1,100 people in my office (their international headquarters) and tons more throughout the world... Don't work within mobile development though. They have a popular app that I manage content wise on a daily basis that isn't updated either.

Not saying they should free-willy do stuff but can't see why managers wouldn't be on board with investing time and money into this. Doesn't make sense to me.

18. Natzoo macrumors 65816

Natzoo

19. Lloydbm41 macrumors 68040

Lloydbm41

Fragmentation. Plain and simple. And it is just going to get worse. Best get used to it.

20. Traverse macrumors 603

Traverse

Unless Apple repeatedly changes sizes and resolutions (unlikely), I would think the issue would get better over time.

21. Lloydbm41 macrumors 68040

Lloydbm41

Well, we are about to see 2 small watch sized displays, we have 3.5", 4", 4.7" and 5.5" phones, plus we are about to see a 12.2" iPad Pro added to the Mini and regular iPad sizes.
    I believe Apple are staying within the same resolution, just double and tripling (and soon maybe quadrupling?) resolutions.

I don't see things getting better any time soon. In fact, I see Apple having the same growing pains that Google had in managing multiple sizes and 'maybe' resolutions.

22. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

I can see them dropping support for 3.5 and 4 inch phones.

23. Lloydbm41 macrumors 68040

Lloydbm41

Developers and Apple still have to ensure apps work on older devices. Just like devs for Android.

24. gsmornot macrumors 68030

gsmornot

...add Bank of America to the list of apps that need to update for the higher resolution. The app works fine but it would be nice to see it updated to use the screen space better.

25. sunking101 macrumors 603

sunking101

There's simply no excuse for expensive paid for apps like TomTom to be without 6+ support 4-5 months down the line.
    Also Ebay, I know it's a free app but we sellers send a lot of money their way and they should update their app accordingly.