Major reasons to start iOS 5 as a NEW iPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by stewart715, Jun 9, 2011.

1. stewart715 macrumors 6502

I've tested iOS 5 from an iOS 4 backup and as a new iPhone and have noticed a few major things. When you use iOS 5 as a new iPhone you get (for whatever reason):

-faster app opening time
    -faster response time between and in apps
    -smoother transitions
    -MUCH better battery life

I've also noticed that turning of sending data to apple for dev purposes helps save battery life.

Has anyone else experienced this? Maybe there are some inconsitencies and reduncancies that makes iOS 4 data a CPU/Memory hog.

2. jamescwarren macrumors 6502

jamescwarren

I can definitely concur with you on this! I installed iOS 5 on day one of its release and restored from a backup. The phone was sluggish, and my battery was decreasing by about 2% every half an hour in standby. I did a clean install and I can't really fault the OS at this moment in time!... Apart from getting two notifications every time I receive a Whatsapp... It's beta though I suppose :eek:

3. P0stalTek macrumors 6502

P0stalTek

I restored from a backup personally and haven't had any problems.

4. Grimes macrumors regular

It is also nice to start fresh with a brand new stock UI. Forces me to re-evaluate all the apps I have and the junk that accumulates over time.

5. Pez555 macrumors 68000

Pez555

i dont want to set it up as a new iphone as i would lose everything on there!

i will take the slight battery hit (its actually not much worse than when i was on 4.3.3).

6. boss.king macrumors 68040

boss.king

If you set up as a new phone, is there any way to preserve text messages and bookmarks and app data?

7. Dwalls90 macrumors 601

Dwalls90

With all major OS releases I think it's best to DFU restore and set up as new, but that's just my mentality - whether it makes a difference or not, I'm not sure.

8. FearlessFreep macrumors 6502a

I think this is true regardless of iOS version. When you start over from scratch on any rev it's going to be 'cleaner' to start with. It likely will eventually get to the same point again though.

9. Pez555 macrumors 68000

Pez555

i am wondering the same thing, and its probably something i should know by now......

what about photos and app data? (particularly whatsapp).

10. kre62 macrumors 68000

You can easily preserve your text messages if you are jailbroken. The new software will also need to be jb to restore the text messages. Although, you might be able to use redsnow to boot into a jb state without fully jb the phone once you get iOS 5 on there. Then you could slip the text message db file in and reboot. Photos, contacts, etc can all be saved by syncing. The only thing youll lose is app data. Some app data can be saved the same way as saving the text messages.

To save the texts, use redsnow to boot into a tethered jb mode. Then use a program called ifunbox to browse the phones file system. Navigate to var/mobile/library/sms/ and copy the file sms.db. For other apps, navigate to their folders and copy contents you want to save, ususally everything in the Documents folder. Put on iOS 5, and put the files back in the same places.

11. Pez555 macrumors 68000

Pez555

detailed response....thanks for that! i dont fancy jailbreaking at the moment anyway, quite happy with everything as it is, battery life is only slightly worse anyway so its not that much of a big deal.

the thing i want to preserve the most are my photos, i have nearly 1000 and would hate to lose any of them.......doesn't itunes store photos or something? and if you set up as new it will add them back in when you sync? hmmm

12. DDustiNN macrumors 65816

DDustiNN

But setting up as a "new" phone sucks... You lose all of your texts, photos, app data, everything...

13. Darkrider macrumors member

Darkrider

I restored form a back up and my battery was bad the first day but I let it die all the way then recharged it and now my battery's just fine so go figure

14. mnsportsgeek macrumors 65816

If I wouldn't lose all of my app data. I have days worth of gameplay saved on that thing. Apple really needs to fix that. Major issue in not being able to save game data separately. They'll never be considered a major player in the mobile gaming market until that happens imo.

15. Sonic04GT macrumors regular

I have 3 stars on every single Angry Birds level. No way I'm starting fresh! ;)

16. genexrocket macrumors regular

I'm guessing it's gonna be a 4GS before an iPhone 5.

17. solidus430 macrumors newbie

With regards to the battery life reason, I wonder if what's really going on is that the phone has a configuration or log file somewhere that tracks battery life/usage, and those values are still calibrated for iOS 4 when you restore instead of start fresh? I have no technical evidence to back this up, and it's pure speculation, but it seems the likeliest reason for better performance on a fresh install is that there's some bit of cached/stored data that it has to rebuild from scratch when it doesn't have a backed up one to fall back on.

This would explain why battery performance could be worse when restoring from back up. Like another poster in this thread, I restored from back up and experienced terrible battery life initially, but after letting it die just once and recharging to full, it's already almost back to full performance. It would make sense that once given a few full charge cycles to recalibrate itself, the battery performance would return to "normal" levels.

Of course, this could also all just be a load of crap, but perhaps somebody who knows more about this could weigh in either way.

18. DDustiNN macrumors 65816

DDustiNN

That was my suspicion as well... My experience with new phones (or reformatted phones) is that battery life initially starts out terrible (at least to us), and after a few full charges, the phone becomes calibrated with how much actual battery life it has, rather than how much battery life it thinks it has.

19. mongoos150 macrumors 6502a

mongoos150

The cloud is supposed to back up SMS (in addition to contacts, calendar, etc) - so if you start your phone as a new device, shouldn't the cloud still populate your old SMS messages onto the newly wiped OS (or new device) on iOS 5?

Once the cloud goes live, of course.

20. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

It's the first beta. Not that Apple ignored performance and battery efficency, but those things generally are worked out later in the development cycle.

21. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

I hope that Apple implements something in the future that selectively lets you transfer data while setting up as a new phone. At least you can [easily] transfer pictures if you are on a PC. I still haven't figure out how to do it in OS X.

22. ntrigue macrumors 68040

ntrigue

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Anyone that doesn't do fresh install is blowing it.

23. boss.king macrumors 68040

boss.king

Or we like our data and photo's and text messages

24. 19101984 macrumors newbie

i might be going off my base here but wouldnt using something like iPhoneExplorer (software that lets you browse through every file on your iPhone when its tethered to your Mac/PC (boo!) ) and copying the files in your SMS/Messaging/Photos folder over to your fresh setup iPhone get the data back?

just my AUS$0.02

25. aleni macrumors 68020

LOL about battery life. i installed iOS 5 and set it up as a new phone, i put the iPhone 4 at 37% before i slept, by this morning when i woke up, the iPhone's dead.

but i wouldn't worry too much because it's still in the beta version.