Major second thoughts on the X

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by fultonjt, Nov 1, 2017.

1. fultonjt macrumors regular

fultonjt

Just received my silicon case for the X and, it may have pushed me to the 8 plus based on the size. I know this isn't a news flash on the size essentially being indistinguishable from the regular size 7/8, but maybe I was just naive. I have giant hands, and switched to a Plus with the 7. I can't imagine going backwards in size.

Ugh. Anyone else rethinking their choice? I guess Friday will be the ultimate time to decide when I hold the X in my hands, but I'm regretting it already. Maybe the screen size will swing me back.

2. Packers1958 macrumors 65816

We will wait for your 3rd thought once you get it.

3. pl1984 Suspended

I personally will not buy a smart phone sight unseen.

4. joeblow7777 macrumors 603

With a 14 day no questions asked return policy, it’s not like it’s a big risk.

5. pl1984 Suspended

Why buy something only to have to return it instead of seeing it in person and then buying it?

6. fultonjt thread starter macrumors regular

fultonjt

I'll be in store, so if I hate it, it won't leave the store with me. The 8 Plus will.

7. Chupa Chupa, Nov 1, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2017

Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

I figure you will not be alone. Apple didn't really do itself any favors by using only screen size as a comparison. By the screen size real estate alone X is obviously bigger. But it's also narrower making it feel smaller than the plus. So those who like the width of the 8+ probably will be disappointed. Whether they can get over or not we'll see, but some are bound to not be happy. I was a bit stunned to when I received my case and screen protector and put it next to my 4.7".

OTOH people like me that didn't care for the plus but wanted a bigger screen than 4.7" and also a better camera are going to be thrilled.

8. Sigvard macrumors newbie

I was, until I pulled the trigger on Pre-Order day. I went from a 6 to a 7+ and while I love the screen size (I found myself watching more videos on my phone since getting it) it was never ergonomically feasible for me to use as I have smaller hands.

Considering the only reason I got a 7+ was for the dual camera, this is perfect for me.

9. blindside217 macrumors regular

I am a little nervous about feeling cramped with the smaller screen size overall (mostly the width) after using the plus for 2 years. However, I can’t help but be attracted to the new design and the beautiful OLED and the Face ID so I am going to give it a shot.

10. joeblow7777 macrumors 603

Well, in this case, because by the time you can see it in person it will be (already is) back ordered 5-6 weeks. If you don't mind that then I agree with your logic.

11. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

I think plus users who are happy may struggle with the X. For everyone else it will be an upgrade all around.

12. The Game 161 macrumors P6

The Game 161

Even for plus users it’s not going to be an issue. Just because the body is smaller doesn’t mean you won’t still get enough screen.

13. Jjayf macrumors 6502

I sad that I didn't order the silver. It's looks so nice in all the video reviews.. Dumb dumb me. I'm going to really hate the space grey now that I know sexy silver is out there taunting me.

14. applewatch macrumors 6502

applewatch

The screen on the iPhone X is bigger than the screen on the iPhone 8 Plus.

15. DennisdeWit macrumors 6502

DennisdeWit

I am coming from an iPhone 7 Plus and ordered an iPhone X. I noticed from the case it is smaller. But then I realized most of what I think is ‘bigger’ on the iPhone 7 Plus isn’t the screen. It is the bezels that make the phone go big.

Yes, I know. The width is a bit smaller. But so is my Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge. And I can type perfectly on it. Except for the keys near the edge. Because I don’t know who thought keys on an edge is a fantastic idea.

16. AdonisSMU macrumors 604

That is never going to happen.

17. Fille84 macrumors regular

On the height yes.

18. slippery-pete macrumors 65832

slippery-pete

No 2nd thoughts

19. TheSteves macrumors member

TheSteves

No need. Please cancel your order right away!,!!!!

20. DNichter macrumors G3

DNichter

I like the size. The plus is too big for me in a number of scenarios.

21. JPIndustrie macrumors 6502a

JPIndustrie

I on the other hand have lived with the plus and the regular 6 and the X is my dream in the middle device. I've been really missing the screen real estate and now with the X I won't be carrying around an iPad mini mini

22. DNichter macrumors G3

DNichter

Struggle how?

23. Hoosier317 macrumors 6502a

Hoosier317

You get a screen very nearly the same size as a Plus iPhone, but in the form factor of a non-Plus iPhone. Not to mention...a superior OLED screen.

24. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

If they are use to the “plus” interface. For example, messages, calendar, etc are different in landscape mode.

25. Macalway macrumors 68030

Just return it if it bugs you. You're not getting married (even then you can back out).