Major second thoughts on the X

TrueBlou

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2014
Scotland
www.witenoiz.com
Not even close. It’s just taller but the plus screen is significantly wider. I got my screen protectors in the mail today and I wasn’t happy when comparing the size.... now the X has enough new features that I want so I’m going to deal with it.... but I really hope there’s an XI Plus next year
I don’t know that I’d say significantly, I’ve been running them side by side, the X and the 8 Plus in the simulator for a while and yes, the Plus phones (which I currently have) are undeniably wider. But I’d call it a little wider. Suppose it all comes down to how small you judge significantly bigger to be, we’re all different.

As far as the op goes, I’ve no regrets and I’ve got hands like pit shovels. Even though I don’t run into issues using my 7 Plus, I do expect the X to be a bit comfier to hold.
It’s kind of like when I have to do something on my wife’s iPhone (regular) I sometimes think, if this were just a bit bigger I could go for it.

But it’s all personal choice really, we’re all delightfully different in our choices and preferences. Wouldn’t the world be truly awful if we were all the same.

bigjnyc

macrumors 603
Apr 10, 2008
I don’t know that I’d say significantly, I’ve been running them side by side, the X and the 8 Plus in the simulator for a while and yes, the Plus phones (which I currently have) are undeniably wider. But I’d call it a little wider. Suppose it all comes down to how small you judge significantly bigger to be, we’re all different.

As far as the op goes, I’ve no regrets and I’ve got hands like pit shovels. Even though I don’t run into issues using my 7 Plus, I do expect the X to be a bit comfier to hold.
It’s kind of like when I have to do something on my wife’s iPhone (regular) I sometimes think, if this were just a bit bigger I could go for it.

But it’s all personal choice really, we’re all delightfully different in our choices and preferences. Wouldn’t the world be truly awful if we were all the same.
I received my iPhone X screen protector yesterday and was basing it off that. when I placed it on my 7 plus basically the the empty space between the icons and the edge on the right side was extra. Not sure if that makes sense... anyhow it looked pretty significant to me but that's really just individual perception and I'm sure I'll get used to it in no time, so I'm not really too worried about it.

Reactions: TrueBlou

TrueBlou

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2014
Scotland
www.witenoiz.com
I received my iPhone X screen protector yesterday and was basing it off that. when I placed it on my 7 plus basically the the empty space between the icons and the edge on the right side was extra. Not sure if that makes sense... anyhow it looked pretty significant to me but that's really just individual perception and I'm sure I'll get used to it in no time, so I'm not really too worried about it.
Yeah it’s definitely going to take adapting to. Personally I’m more pleased about the extra height as I use my phone in portrait 99% of the time. But that’s obviously a personal thing. I think the actual width difference is about a quarter of an inch. I can live with that. Other people might not be so inclined to do so. But that’s fine, it’s their choice. :)

Reactions: bigjnyc

bigjnyc

macrumors 603
Apr 10, 2008
Yeah it’s definitely going to take adapting to. Personally I’m more pleased about the extra height as I use my phone in portrait 99% of the time. But that’s obviously a personal thing. I think the actual width difference is about a quarter of an inch. I can live with that. Other people might not be so inclined to do so. But that’s fine, it’s their choice. :)
Yeah now that I think about it, same here I am always in portrait mode unless I'm watching a video

D.T.

macrumors G3
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
I got my case in yesterday and was *thrilled* with the size. I recently was carrying a 7, and while the display felt a little cramped, and very small text started getting a touch distorted, it was a nice change from my normal 6S+ carry.

So yeah, the new physical size combined with the new display, I can't wait. :)

Reactions: DNichter

Radon87000

macrumors 604
Nov 29, 2013
Is it realistic to expect X Plus for next year? I hate the smaller display but am going to deal with it for the oled tech. If they don’t release the Plus next year I might just go to Android till they do.

TrueBlou

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2014
Scotland
www.witenoiz.com
I got my case in yesterday and was *thrilled* with the size. I recently was carrying a 7, and while the display felt a little cramped, and very small text started getting a touch distorted, it was a nice change from my normal 6S+ carry.

So yeah, the new physical size combined with the new display, I can't wait. :)

The size is one of the main reasons I’m getting it. I mean I love the near border less design. I’m totally stoked for the facial recognition, including Face ID and yes, I will be teasing the wife with Animoji’s because she only has an 8 :D And I’m really happy both cameras now have OIS. There’s just lots to like, for me anyway

But the form factor and near Plus size screen totally clinched it and yeah, that’s just for me, personal preference. As some people know I’ve got severe nerve damage in my arms, so as much as I love my 7 Plus and couldn’t under any circumstances imagine going back to a smaller screen.

I’m definitely willing to make the slight sacrifice for the X, it’ll be much easier and more comfortable to hold for longer periods. And between development and personal use, I use my phone a lot :D So yeah, very specific and personal to me, but we all have our reasons for loving or hating the X.

What I’m really, really looking forward to is the X2 (11) next year, that’s going to be even more amazing. But I’ll be happy with the X in the meantime.

gelie

macrumors 6502
Mar 7, 2010
Kind of feeling the same way. Coming from a 6+. Thats why for the first time i used IUP. If in a year I'm not happy with it and theres a X+ I'll ave the flexibility to trade it in or downgrade(?) to the 8+.

jjayr41

macrumors member
Sep 22, 2016
This is almost like the debacle with the note series/android phones. People were scared to have a smaller note yet the screen size was bigger on the newer smaller notes. For me, I went from 7+ to 8+ and the only complaint was that the phone was too big compared to the note and it had a bigger screen than the iphones. I think you guys will be happy with the smaller phone/larger screen than the plus models.

pat500000

Suspended
Jun 3, 2015
Just received my silicon case for the X and, it may have pushed me to the 8 plus based on the size. I know this isn't a news flash on the size essentially being indistinguishable from the regular size 7/8, but maybe I was just naive. I have giant hands, and switched to a Plus with the 7. I can't imagine going backwards in size.

Ugh. Anyone else rethinking their choice? I guess Friday will be the ultimate time to decide when I hold the X in my hands, but I'm regretting it already. Maybe the screen size will swing me back.
Try it for a week and return if you don’t like it...

lordhamster

macrumors 6502a
Jan 23, 2008
Just received my silicon case for the X and, it may have pushed me to the 8 plus based on the size. I know this isn't a news flash on the size essentially being indistinguishable from the regular size 7/8, but maybe I was just naive. I have giant hands, and switched to a Plus with the 7. I can't imagine going backwards in size.

Ugh. Anyone else rethinking their choice? I guess Friday will be the ultimate time to decide when I hold the X in my hands, but I'm regretting it already. Maybe the screen size will swing me back.
I get that worry. I have freakishly small hands, so I'm super excited to have the same size screen in a smaller form factor.

Reactions: dontworry

tkukoc

macrumors 65816
Sep 16, 2014
Wish I Was In Space!
This is exactly why the 8 series will see a resurgence in purchases. There's plenty of people who will get the X and realize it's not as big as they hoped. Nothing at all wrong with that. I know this is why I didn't purchase an X as a daily driver.. not big enough for me. Bezels do not bother me.

FunkyTang

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2008
If the Plus is not too big for you, you should stay with the Plus and wait for the XI Plus. The X is supposed to be smaller for the non-Plus.

KingslayerG5

Suspended
Oct 16, 2017
I have some of the same reservations as the OP but maybe for different reasons. Each design generation last a minimum of four models. Not two.

Never made sense to me that some consider iPhone 5 being different from the 4 series but the 7/8 looks the same as the 6 series? There is more of a gap going from 6s to 7 than 4s to 5 based on features.

I have been following rumors about the iPhone X for nearly two years now. Why not? Only another day. We have gotten this far and now people are getting cold feet? As Richard Branson would say, "Screw it, let's do it."

It's like watching The Walking Dead and Game of Thrones. They may not be as great as the earlier seasons, but you invested so much into their characters and story, you might as well keep watching how they end.

Just check it out tomorrow or maybe some might get their's today. I don't want that two years of waiting for the 10th anniversary iPhone to be all for naught.

The iPhone X will be the first iPhone I got excited about since the 4 and likely the last iPhone I will get for the rest of this decade. Upgrading to Pixel 4 by 2019. Just doing this to celebrate iPhone's 10 years and for some iPhone SE-X. My SE won't feel so lonely anymore! ;)

Wxchaser

macrumors regular
Oct 28, 2017
Even though slightly smaller, the OLED screen and image stabilized camera's more than make up for it, plus the addition of FaceID for security. I just compared my case size for the X to my current 7 Plus and yes, it is a tad smaller but probably more useable.

pl1984

Suspended
Oct 31, 2017
Because if you wait until you see it in store, you won't be able to buy it for months.
I'm fine with that. My current phone does all I need it to do so I'm in no hurry to, should I decided to do so, replace it.

geoff5093

macrumors 68020
Sep 16, 2014
Dover, NH
I'm fine with that. My current phone does all I need it to do so I'm in no hurry to, should I decided to do so, replace it.
See for me, if I'm paying $1k for a phone I'd rather have it ASAP and enjoy it while it's new and rare. I also pre-order cars before they come out, so I pay for them without even test driving them.

ezgoezit

macrumors newbie
Oct 31, 2017
Seattle
Just received my silicon case for the X and, it may have pushed me to the 8 plus based on the size...

This is actually reinforcing my decision. My only real worry was that the X would be much larger than my current phone (6), as that one is already as big as I would like it to be.

shr631

macrumors regular
Dec 13, 2013
I sad that I didn't order the silver. It's looks so nice in all the video reviews.. Dumb dumb me. I'm going to really hate the space grey now that I know sexy silver is out there taunting me.
Don't sweat it too much. I ordered silver, and I'm glad I did, but I also keep thinking how awesome space gray one will look with that seamless transition from black oled screen to the sides and back. Plus the fronts all look the same!

ezgoezit

macrumors newbie
Oct 31, 2017
Seattle
It's the other way around for me. After seeing some reviews, I wish I had ordered the space gray as opposed to the silver.

fultonjt

macrumors regular
Feb 20, 2011
Denver, CO
Received my X about 30 mins ago. Gorgeous device, and am adapting quickly to no home button (easier than I thought).

The size is going to take adjustment if I’m goign to keep this. I’m giving the weekend to test drive, and if I’m not in love with it, or adjusted, I’m going to an 8 plus.

For the screen size debate in this thread- for me its about physical size of the device that is my main concern. For comparison sake: I can completely cover the X with hand when it’s lying on my desk. I can’t (almost can) with the Plus. So it’s more about holding the device in daily use than screen real estate. It’s all personal preference but I suspect Plus users may opt back to the 7/8 Plus.