Make Mac Pro 1,1 as powerful as it can be

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by louij2, Mar 12, 2017.

Tags:
  1. louij2 macrumors newbie

Hi,

Using my old Mac Pro 1,1 as a backup server and I want to make it as powerful as I currently can for a low cost of course.

I know I can upgrade the cpus from dual core to quad core but what ones do I use

What RAM should I get as well as i want to max out all the DIMMs
    currently have a 650ti boost as a GPU that was working but I now get a no signal detected
    May give it an SSD as the boot drive then have 6TB in HDD

2. JedNZ macrumors regular

JedNZ

I used the X5365 3.0GHz in my cMP 1,1 - have to firmware upgrade to 2,1.
    Throw as much ram in it as you can afford (240-pin PC2-5300 667Mhz).
    An SSD - something like the Samsung 850 EVO. If you want to go even further, add an Accelsior S SATA III PCIe card for the SSD and get even more speed out of it (the direct connect bays are only SATA II).
    Consider also getting a WiFi 802.11ac/BT-4 combo card (BCM94360CD).

3. jbarley, Mar 12, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2017

jbarley macrumors 68030

jbarley

As noted in this quote from "OWC", for maximum data speeds in a MP1,1 or 2,1 install the SSD in an onboard drive bay.

"2006-2007 Mac Pro. These models utilize PCIe 1.0 slot which cannot be configured (even with the Expansion Utility in OS X) to address Accelsior S as anything but as a first generation one-lane card. As a result, Accelsior S performance will be limited to 190-200MB/s data rates. If maximum data rate speed is desired, we recommend the installation of a 2.5" OWC Mercury SSD in an open Mac Pro drive bay."

Quote taken from this link.

4. JedNZ macrumors regular

JedNZ

5. jbarley macrumors 68030

jbarley

As a point of interest, I use 2 Samsung evos in my MP1,1 installed in the internal bays configured as a Raid0 volume which gives me almost Sata III speeds.
    So far this is the best I can come up with, but I'm open to suggestions.:)

DiskSpeedTest-Yosemite-boot.png

6. Wiltonian macrumors member

Wiltonian

I'm in a similar position. Any recommendations for the very cheapest video card that will work with the current Snow Leopard and the future El Capitan, please? This is a project for a back-up Mac, for which minimal cost is the main criterion - hence the planned use of a pair of X5355s (2.66GHz quad cores) to keep upgrade costs down. Stuart.