Make Sure to Get Your $29 iPhone Battery Replacements Soon as Apple's Discount Program is Set to End on December 31

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Nov 30, 2018.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

If you have an iPhone that needs a battery replacement, it's a good idea to get it fixed soon as Apple's $29 battery replacement program is set to end on December 31, 2018.

Apple is still offering $29 battery replacements for the iPhone SE, 6, 6 Plus, 6s, 6s Plus, 7, 7 Plus, 8, 8 Plus, and X. All of these devices are eligible for a discounted $29 battery following the processor slowdown scandal that Apple faced earlier this year.

Battery Replacement Cost After Program Ends

After December 31, 2018, replacement iPhone batteries will return to regular price. For most iPhones, replacement batteries will be priced at $49, with the exception of the iPhone X. Apple will charge $69 for an iPhone X battery replacement.

The iPhone XS, XS Max, and XR are not eligible for $29 replacement batteries as these devices were released well after the battery issue first came to light and are still under warranty.

How to Initiate a Battery Replacement

To initiate a battery replacement, use Apple's battery support site. You can take your iPhone to an Apple retail store, an Apple Authorized Service Provider, or send it in for replacement at an Apple Repair Center.

With both replacement methods, Apple warns that it could take up to five business days, but in-store battery replacements are often completed more quickly. Some mail-in repairs can take as long as nine days.

Any damage that impairs the replacement of the battery, such as a cracked screen, will need to be repaired first before the battery can be swapped out for a new one.

Checking the Health of Your iPhone Battery

You can check on the health of your battery by opening up the Settings app, choosing the Battery section, and selecting "Battery Health."

The Battery Health option will let you know the exact maximum capacity of the battery in your iOS device and whether your iPhone is able to operate at Peak Performance Capability.

[​IMG]

If the battery is not operating at Peak Performance Capability, you will see a recommendation for a battery replacement in order to restore the full functionality of the device.

Performance Management and Minimizing Shutdowns

iPhones that are not operating at peak performance can see random shutdowns due to a degrading battery's inability to keep up with processor demands at times of peak usage.

To prevent processor shutdowns, Apple introduced a performance management feature that throttles the processor of the iPhone when the battery cannot provide the power the processor needs.

Performance management does result in slower performance, and while the feature can be disabled by following these steps in an iPhone with a degraded battery, the only permanent fix is a new battery.

[​IMG]

Apple initially implemented performance management quietly in the iOS 10.2.1 update in January 2017 and did not let customers know what was going on. The feature was discovered in late 2017, leading to customers who were outraged that Apple did not tell them their devices were being throttled.

There was a huge public upset, leading Apple to issue an apology and to provide the $29 battery replacement program. Apple has been offering no-questions-asked $29 battery replacements since December of 2017.

The Future of Performance Management

All iPhones will eventually face battery degradation issues due to the nature of lithium ion batteries. While performance management software was initially limited to the iPhone 6, 6 Plus, 6s, 6s Plus, 7, 7 Plus, and SE, Apple in iOS 12.1 added it to the iPhone 8, 8 Plus, and X to prevent future shutdowns should these devices suffer from failing batteries.

In the iPhone 8, 8 Plus, and X, performance management features introduced due to degraded batteries "may be less noticeable" because of their "more advanced hardware and software design."

Future iPhones, such as the iPhone XS, XS Max, and XR, will also eventually receive performance management software until battery technology improves.

Article Link: Make Sure to Get Your $29 iPhone Battery Replacements Soon as Apple's Discount Program is Set to End on December 31

2. Stygma macrumors newbie

Stygma

Does you iPhone have to be below a certain battery percentage to qualify for the battery replacement program?

3. BaracksPhallusPalace macrumors member

BaracksPhallusPalace

So should I go into an apple store and get my iPhone X battery replaced if it's at 95%? I'd rather pay $29 for it now than $69 for it in another 6 months.

4. Kendo macrumors 68000

If I took advantage of this offer January of this year and my battery is now at 90%, can I get another $29 battery replacement in December?

5. Mazda 3s macrumors 6502

Mazda 3s

My iPhone X is at 88%. From what I understand, I can take it in regardless of percentage and have them replace it for $29, right?

6. yustas macrumors regular

If I have something streaming on the phone half a day at home, is it better to have the phone plugged in even if the battery is fully charged or let the battery discharge to 20% and then plug it in? I have something streaming every day, so the battery will discharge every day. I have been told by somebody that it is better to have it plugged in, but I don't know if it is true.

7. JGIGS macrumors 6502a

JGIGS

I'm at 88 as well. I wonder if its even worth bothering?

8. PJWilkin macrumors regular

Apple really needs to extend the discounted battery replacement programme

9. borntrouble macrumors 6502

borntrouble

On the German Apple Site I've seen a little hint that said it'll be granted only once.

I have a Genius Bar appointment set for Monday including a battery exchange with the EXACT same situation as you. iPhone X, 95% capacity. I'll skip the XS this year and will likely upgrade 2019, but it's gonna be at least 10 months from now, so I think it's going to be a good investment.

10. justperry macrumors G3

justperry

I am pretty sure it's just a single $29 replacement.

11. powaking macrumors 6502

powaking

I brought both of my sons iPhone 7's in even though they were showing 84%. The rep proceeded to tell me if it was showing under 80% it would not cost me anything but since it was I would be charged $29. He proceeded to process the order and said 'Huh, looks like AppleCare is going to cover it'. In the end they couldn't get the home button to work after the batter replacement (I think on both of them) so they ended up replacing the screen as well. Cost me $0.

12. justperry macrumors G3

justperry

it isn't $29 for us though, I paid €39.

Probably a shoddy job, as in... they ffed up.

13. Wanted797 macrumors 6502a

Wanted797

I wouldn’t. They have to open your phone to do this.

I’ve had my 6s battery done and it was better but not massively. If you’re at 95% it would be a waste of $29.
    --- Post Merged, Nov 30, 2018 ---
    No you are paying.

14. kazmac macrumors 604

kazmac

If they could guarantee I’d have the phone back in two hours, I’d do it.

15. gim macrumors 6502

gim

Then you got scammed. It's definitely 29€ in Germany.

https://www.apple.com/de/iphone-battery-and-performance/

Oh and btw, the battery replacement in German Apple Stores takes 3 days at the moment, and it's not going to get better until after this offer has ended.

16. dmylrea macrumors 68020

dmylrea

I had planned to do this in Dec when they announced it earlier this year, but my iPhone 7+ is showing 93% and I don't want to be without the phone for a day or more just for this.

My phone is over 2 years old now and still at 93% is pretty good? Someone above with an iPhone X (much newer) and is already down to 88%. Is is because some people drain their iPhone lower on a daily basis?

17. nihil0 macrumors member

I have 7 for little over 2 yrs and it shows 86%

18. nburwell macrumors 601

nburwell

I'll have to take a look at my SE when I get home to see where the battery is at. I haven't used it since my wife and I were in Europe back in September.

19. Michael Scrip macrumors 603

Same here. I'd have no problem dropping off my phone at the Apple Store and walk around the mall for a few hours.

But not having my phone for a few days? Tough sell.

20. WannaGoMac macrumors 68020

WannaGoMac

I dont believe these % values (similar to how Apple said my battery 6+ was fine then turned out they were lying and slowing my phone down etc). I took in a 2 year old 7 battery at 91% and its lasting much longer now

21. johnparjr macrumors 6502a

johnparjr

Only takes a few hours

22. 69Mustang macrumors 603

69Mustang

Depends on the stock of the location you're visiting.

23. Bark macrumors newbie

Bark

Having replace batteries in 5 and 5s I would be willing to pay the $49 for them to do it. Then again it should not be necessary to early in the product life and they should cover the costs. I would love to see a removable battery.

Also it seems I am not alone in wondering how low is too low and warrants the change. I am at 88% on my 7 plus so I am not there yet.

24. longofest Editor emeritus

longofest

My iPhone 6S was at 89% when it started randomly shutting down, and then even performance management didn’t stop it from randomly rebooting at least once per day once I got below 50% capacity.

I would replace it now.

25. bananataffy macrumors regular

Anyone know if the replacement batteries they use in this program are the same quality & capacity as the original batteries they install in their new phones? Or do they install batteries with less capacity that are possibly refurbished?

I want to replace the battery in my iPhone X that I've had for a year...my thinking is that the $30 replacement will add 1 more year of overall longevity to the phone. I'm sitting at 96% overall capacity with my current battery though. My worry is that Apple will replace my battery with a lower quality one that'll have worse overall capacity in the long run.