Malaysia Airlines 777 Shot Down over Ukraine

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by quagmire, Jul 17, 2014.

1. quagmire macrumors 603

quagmire

2. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

I wonder if it is linked to the current conflict between the two countries.

3. Moyank24 macrumors 601

Moyank24

It may be - numerous agencies are reporting that it was shot down....

4. quagmire thread starter macrumors 603

quagmire

Yep. Let the blame game start. Ukraine will claim Russia ( or the rebels wanting to join Russia) shot it down and Russia will blame Ukraine shot down the plane.

5. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

If this plane was definitely shot down it's going to get bad very quickly. :eek:

6. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Indeed, this is not going to be good. Putin is not going to look good in this one.

7. The Doctor11 macrumors 603

The Doctor11

Yeah I have been watching NBC's special report on it for the past half an hour. It doesn't sound good. But they cant confirm anything yet.

8. Vogue Harper macrumors 6502

Vogue Harper

If the reports are true that the rebels in that area have shot down a number of Russian military jets in recent weeks, why were civilian aircraft still being permitted to fly through that area regardless of whether there is a recognised international air corridor or not?

Here in the Middle East, given the conflict in Syria, airlines no longer fly over Syrian airspace and instead take long detours to reach some destinations e.g. Lebanon.

All air crashes are shocking, but words fail me if it turns out that this one was actually shot down.

9. kupkakez macrumors 68000

kupkakez

This is awful. I'm reading some rumors that it could have been shot down. Which makes this extra awful.

I feel for the people that were on that plane and their families.

----------

That's exactly what will happen if it was shot down.

10. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Pictures are coming in of pieces of the plane.

11. Plutonius macrumors 603

Plutonius

The rebels are claiming that they were shooting a missile at a military transport in the same timeframe that the plane crashed. The authorities are claiming that the plane crashed due to a missile. It looks to me like the rebels shot the plane down.

12. LostSoul80 macrumors 68020

LostSoul80

I won't trust any source you guys are posting.
    I only trust Fox's upcoming, massive coverage on the story.

13. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Happy to see the down vote button back.:p

If indeed it was shot down, this will put pressure on both Ukraine and Russia to settle this dispute.

14. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

Reports that debris is scattered over a 15km area. Pretty obvious at this point that it was shot down.

15. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

Not to make it more ominous and tragic as it already is...

But coincidentally, this happens on the 18th anniversary of TWA800.

BL.

16. phillytim macrumors 6502a

phillytim

I'm sure they'll be blaming Putin before long. lol *sigh* here we go again.

17. The Doctor11 macrumors 603

The Doctor11

Are you watching the news? They were blaming him awhile ago.

18. LostSoul80 macrumors 68020

LostSoul80

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Interfax seems to confirm their reports about the plane having been shot down.

19. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

Someone from the Ukraine claimed something from Russia shot it down over Ukraine.... Case closed. :p

20. Plutonius macrumors 603

Plutonius

I'm very happy it is back. They should probably keep the down vote out of the political forum though :).

The White House holds a daily press briefing every day but they canceled it today :eek:.

The area the jet crashed in is in the Ukraine and is one of the most monitored locations on the planet. I'm sure there is detailed satellite imagery of the crash and that the US knows everything that occurred.

If the rebels shot the plane down, Putin should get the blame. There is no justification in giving away or selling sophisticated weapon systems to untrained people who have no way of verifying targets.

21. Happybunny macrumors 68000

Is that your opinion in every case?

1988: US warship shoots down Iranian airliner
    An American naval warship patrolling in the Persian Gulf has shot down an Iranian passenger jet after apparently mistaking it for an F-14 fighter.
    All those on board the airliner - almost 300 people - are believed dead.

The plane, an Airbus A300, was making a routine flight from Bandar Abbas, in Iran, to Dubai in the United Arab Emirates.

The USS Vincennes had tracked the plane electronically and warned it to keep away. When it did not the ship fired two surface-to-air missiles, at least one of which hit the airliner.

Navy officials said the Vincennes' crew believed they were firing at an Iranian F14 jet fighter, although they had not confirmed this visually.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/onthisday/hi/dates/stories/july/3/newsid_4678000/4678707.stm

22. lannister80 macrumors 6502

lannister80

There are already idiots all over the internet saying:

"See!! The Flight 93 crash looked nothing like this!! Conspiracy!!"

Of course, flight 93 hit the ground at 550+ mph (885+ kph) and was basically obliterated.

23. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

Another example of flying an airliner through a conflict zone. It is never a good idea. At least the Vincennes thought it was under attack, whereas the USSR shot down a jet just to protect military secrets (and no doubt relishing the prospect of a propaganda coup of downing what they thought was a US spy plane)....

In any case, a sad day all in all. Let the disinformation war of BS about who is responsible begin.

24. Plutonius, Jul 17, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2014

Plutonius macrumors 603

Plutonius

Yep, the US was guilty.

That being said, the fact that it occurred in the past doesn't justify it being done now or in the future. If it was the rebels firing a missile, Putin should and will get the blame if it was a SA 11 /17.

That area of the world has been under a microscope and the black boxes were recovered. I expect the US to have real time video of the crash (including the probable missile attack). There will be no disinformation war in the face of all the evidence unless the US decides not to reveal what they saw.