Man fires at school board; kills self

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by obeygiant, Dec 14, 2010.

1. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

link

This video is sooooo crazy.

2. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

Wow..... What is even more amazing is that at that range he missed everyone he was firing at. Whether that was on purpose or not, still amazing that he was the only one that was hurt/killed.

3. cantthinkofone macrumors 65816

cantthinkofone

Saw the video earlier. Crazy stuff. It looked like he hit the guy in the center with the way he slumped over. Surprised the guard didn't shoot him sooner. He had displayed the gun and made threats. Deadly force is authorized.

Glad nobody was hurt.

4. James L macrumors 6502a

Was the guard even there initially though? I can think of many of these town hall, city hall venues where there is on site security, perhaps in the lobby, but not necessarily in the room the meeting is being held in. It might have taken that much time for the guard to be notified and respond.

5. weckart macrumors 68040

I'm just amazed he managed to kill himself. He was probably aiming at someone else at the time.

6. Abstract, Dec 15, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2010

Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Without any successful revenge killings, that big "V" (for Vendetta) he sprayed on the wall could only stand for "Vandalism". :confused:

Lame.

7. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

As a probable product of the superb Florida public education system, I'm not surprised. :rolleyes:

8. Ann P, Dec 15, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2010

Ann P macrumors 68020

That "V" is definitely from the movie V for Vendetta. Such a frightening video, thank goodness no one else was hurt.

9. cantthinkofone macrumors 65816

cantthinkofone

I think the article on CNN said there is always a guard at the meetings. Either way its good he or she was there. The guy probably would have killed somebody.

I was thinking "V for victory" from the 1980 V series.

+1

10. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

The sound ducks out a bit there, is it because he's swearing? Because if so - they show a man shooting others but mute bad language?

Haunting video though. I've never seen a real shoot out like that before.

11. MooneyFlyer macrumors 65816

MooneyFlyer

Haunting is the right word. There's some other video out there that gives a little more detail at the end -- at least in audio.

The audio claims that maybe he was firing caps...

12. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

If he was firing caps, it's hard to see how he would be able to kill himself...

13. MooneyFlyer macrumors 65816

MooneyFlyer

Of course -- just reporting what I heard on the video. I think they were all shocked that he missed from that close. The guard definitely hits him at least twice before he kills himself (according to the reports).

14. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

Think of the horse in Animal House. ;)

15. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

HOLY ****!
    There were blanks in that gun!
    I didn't even point the gun at him!
    HOLY ****!
    There WERE blanks in that gun!
    Maybe he had a heart attack?
    HOLY ****!

16. MacRy macrumors 601

MacRy

He wasn't firing caps. If you watch the video you can see paperwork fly up on the desk when he shoots at the guy and a hole appear in the floor when he fires it the second time.

What a whacko! Makes my bad day today where a customer shouted and swore at me for fifteen minutes, whilst threatening to kill me, until the police arrived seem like a day at the funfair.

17. MooneyFlyer macrumors 65816

MooneyFlyer

yeah, I saw that as well. I've never shot a blank so I don't know how much the gasses would move something a few feet away. Doesn't much matter anyway.

That video got my heart rate up.

18. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

Super scary stuff. Did the guy who was being shot at die? I heard from the news that it didn't hit him.

19. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Might want to read the thread title.

20. obeygiant thread starter macrumors 68040

obeygiant

The gunman turned out to be a pretty poor marksman except when he shot himself.

21. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Can't complain too much about that.

22. obeygiant thread starter macrumors 68040

obeygiant

A related story about the purse used to take down the gunman.

23. rotorblade69 macrumors regular

This will happen more and get worse as "Municide" comes to more and more municipalities. Trust me when that guy started spray painting that Circle with a V in it I would have hit the door. Let him shoot me in the back or chase my ass down. That guy knew exactly what he was doing, and he had been in that situation before he has had a gun pointed at him before and has pointed and probably killed in the past. That V was a message and he knew that camera was rolling. Go back and listen real close to what he says in both videos.

Oh and kudos to the guard who shot him in the leg if it was on purpose. Had the guard aimed for center mass and missed he would have hit one of the 6. Aiming for the legs gets hits makes the rounds go into the floor and away from the innocents. A leg shot takes his ass down then you drill him while he's down if he is still a danger. If not a danger you let him squeal.

24. pukifloyd macrumors 6502a

pukifloyd

I think the superintendent and other board members did very good when trying to convince him...They talked to him in a very calm manner...but its surprising that as soon as he said that "police will come in and kill you" or something like that, the gunman shot at him...I don't think that saying that was not a very smart thing to do...good that the gunman missed...