Man I feel the itch to upgrade stop me please!!!!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by duffer6, Feb 25, 2011.

1. duffer6 macrumors 6502

I have a MBP ('10 15in 2.66 i7 w/ 8 gigs of ram) It works great no problem at all. But I feel like I am compelled to upgrade. I have never seen a bump in geekbench scores like this. Almost double for some.

I am asking all those who are going to NOT upgrade to convince me why I should not upgrade as well.

Apple products are one of the few things in my life that I am always motivated to have the latest and greatest. No rhyme or reason to upgrading other than having the newest toy but this one is just killing me.

Okay someone talk me off the ledge.

2. Commonmind macrumors member

Jump.

3. barkomatic macrumors 68040

If you've got the money to spend upgrade! People like you will help pull the economy out of the recession. :)

4. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

Don't buy into the madness. Your computer is running just fine. Look into buying an SSD, you'll save yourself a couple thousand dollars.

5. mox123 macrumors 6502

You should DEFINITELY BUY and UPGRADE!!! The economy NEEDS you!!!

BUY! BUY! BUY! :)

6. FriarNurgle macrumors regular

FriarNurgle

You're going to have to come down off that ledge to buy the new one. Might want to just stay up there with your current MBP.

7. Pentad macrumors 6502a

Pentad

Sorry, I was feeling the same as you and jumped in with a new CTO MBP. My poor debit card has had quite a week...

Jump! The water is fine...

8. whyzdom macrumors regular

9. mark28 macrumors 68000

1. Thunderbolt is not the original Light Peak as it uses copper, so Thunderbolt is going to be replaced by a Rev 2 Light Peak sooner or later.

2. Next year Ivy Bridge will offer standard Quad cores. So a cheap 2012 13" MBP could have more CPU power than a 2011 15"/17" MBP.

3. The only worthwhile upgrade is the high end 15"/17" MBP which are $2200 and $2500 computer, a little bit too much for any laptop. ( it's going to be outdated next year anyway by a faster MBP. Are you going to upgrade again then? ).

10. Red-red macrumors 6502

If you've got the money to do it.... why not?

You can always sell your old one for a good return and it makes the hit much less anyway.

11. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

Same here lol. I've got a 1.5 year old MBP and a new i3 iMac... but this is tempting! What I'll tell myself is that they haven't perfected ix processors in the 13" MBPs, and by next generation (when I might be able to get one) they'll have polished it up nicely :D

12. Apple NZ macrumors member

- Your existing MBP still works great so why do you need a new one.
    - Don't let the Geekbench scores bother you, they are just numbers generated by a piece of software
    - The improvements in CPU, GPU aren't as great as you think they are: HDD is a bottleneck still at 5400rpm
    - Still the same battery, same design: it's basically the same as your current MBP with new components chucked in. Why don't you upgrade to an SSD instead or buy some new software
    - Keep on enjoying your MBP. It's still a great machine.

Hope I helped :)

13. FriarNurgle macrumors regular

FriarNurgle

But next year you'll still be able to sell a 2011 MBP for atleast 50-75% what you paid for it. Plus if you do 0% interest financing, it's very affordable.

14. lesyork macrumors member

Apparently, it will be compatible with the optical version at a later date. Don't ask me how that works :)

15. jvmxtra macrumors 65816

jvmxtra

It all depends on how much you can get for your current mbp.

Remember, it might sell for 1800 now.. but when you try to sell it next year, it might be 1500.. so think about that trade off along w/ how much you have originally paid for your current mbp.

IF difference is only like 200 to 300, I would say GO FOR IT... If it's north of 500 and more.. it might be tough decision..

BUT everyone's economical scale is different so.. Just telling you from my perspective.

At the end of the day, F it.. just go for it.. Agree w/ everyone. Please save the economy.. I am still waiting for solid reviews but probably will take the plunge as well on 15 inch

16. stefmesman macrumors 6502

its backward and forwards compatible, when optical cables become cheap enough to produce. it will have optic transcoders to copper in the cables. so theres no need to hold back on the ''its not lightpeak yet''

17. dime21 macrumors 6502

buy. this is a major upgrade, not a minor incremental bump. i'm ordering as soon as i can scrounge together the cash.

18. uPhone macrumors regular

sold my 2010 macbook last monday for $1000 and paying $100 to upgrade

I do that every year

this way you can upgrade and not pay that much at the same time.

19. wfj5444 macrumors 6502

I am on the fence. I have a late 09 iMac i7 and I so want an SSD (wasn't an option when I bought mine).

If I upgrading the drive in an iMac were easier I wouldn't have to worry. Makes me sad I sold my Mac Pro!

mmmm SSD, not to mention 6750!

20. Jazwire macrumors 6502a

Jazwire

I am doing it for the economy! :)

I wasn't going to upgrade at first.

Since i have a 2010 17 " I7 2.66, but here is how I justified it.

The wife has a 15" 2009-15" 2.8 Duo.

She is taking my I7.

We have 2 people in our lives that cant afford a decent computer, and we are going to either give one of them the 15" or maybe sell the 15" and buy 2 laptops (prob windows based) and give them each a new computer.

So anyway getting a new 17" today, not complete made up my mind on specs yet.

21. baypharm macrumors 65816

baypharm

Best reason? Save your money for a rainy day or for an emergency

22. baypharm macrumors 65816

baypharm

Who's economy? Certainly not America. Apple Products are made in China.

23. baypharm macrumors 65816

baypharm

Real funny!! China needs you for sure. What we need is for all Apple products to be mfg and made in the good ol USA.

24. GoyoNeuff macrumors member

Please DO upgrade...we need people to move this economy forwards...

:cool:

Goyo.