Man it's expensive to shave.

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Frisco, Oct 17, 2013.

1. Frisco macrumors 68020

Don't like electric shavers. The blades are so expensive on the good razors, but if you cheap out the shave is uncomfortable and the blade doesn't last.

What do you use?

2. Apple fanboy macrumors Core

Apple fanboy

Gillet Sensor Excel. If you don't buy the latest razor, the older ones are a bit cheaper.

3. senseless macrumors 68000

senseless

I have a Braun Pulsonic with the cleaning, docking station. It's the best electric shaver I've ever used. The dock takes cartridges filled with an alcohol solution which prevents premature blade wear. But, the carts don't last very long and are expensive to replace.

4. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

And if you want to make it even more expensive...see below. I received it as a gift many years ago, and I use cheapo CVS double blade cartridges with it.

If course, my shaving consists of shaving a little of my neck, and a little on the cheeks just to shape my beard.

Attached Files:

5. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Gramps, what the hell am I paying you for?
    I tried a straightrazor once. The plus size is the upkeep on them is both easy and cheap, and you can't ask for a closer shave.

The downside is I've only now finished growing back all my blood.

6. Frisco thread starter macrumors 68020

Yeah if I tried that I'd wind up slicing my jugular :eek: But I guess that would reduce the costs, as it would be my last shave :D

7. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

But just before you bled out...you would look super cool using a straight razor!:p

8. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

The thing is, the flat places aren't all that bad to shave with one. Unless you happen to have an epileptic fit or sneeze right while you're over your jugular, you'd probably be alright.

The problem is getting into those tender, angular areas. Where I cut myself, and yeah, I cut myself bad, was right behind my jawbone. I was trying to get in there close with it, and I guess I got the blade caught behind the bone on the upswing, cuz...

...ssslllliiikkkk

It was godawful, man. God. Awful.

9. vrDrew macrumors 65816

No.

Its NOT expensive to shave. In fact, (male face) shaving is one of those rare activities where there is an inverse relationship between the amount spent and the quality of the end product.

Several years ago I became alarmed at the number of rusty cans of shave-gel ending up in my trash. And the fact that the Gillette Mach 3 cartridges I was buying cost me $20 or more.

Truly great shaving requires four things: A decent double-edged shaving razor. A good badger-hair brush. A cake of good quality shaving soap. And decent double-edged blades.

Of these four things, only the latter two are "consumables" - and they are both cheap. A cake of Sandalwood-scented shaving soap (that lasts a year) costs under $10. And bought in bulk, decent disposable double-edged razor blades cost less than $0.50 each - or about 7 cents per day.

Spend $100 or so on a good badger-hair shaving brush and a decent double-edge razor (I'd recommend Vulfix for the brush, Merkur for the razor) - and you'll have a lifetime of the best shaves imaginable, while spending a tiny fraction of what you currently do.

10. malman89 macrumors 68000

I have a Gillette Fusion ProGlide. I had to look it up to remember the whole name. Got it for free for some promo to replace by old Gillette that I got when I was about 18.

The blades are expensive, but I only buy them on sale or with a CVS coupon. I think they were $16 for a 4 pack. I last bought a 4 pack over a year ago. I think I have one untouched blade left in said year old set.

Just dry off the blades after use and you'll be fine. There's no reason they can't last at least a month per blade (on the low end) or a few months on the high end.

Worst case scenario near the end of life (after a few months) is I have to double back and shave the opposite direction in some spots to ensure a smooth shave.

11. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

Blah. Be a real man. Grow a beard.

12. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Hey, I would if I could. I look alright with a 5 o'clock shadow, but if I go any farther than that, I start looking like I've got the scurvy.

But even if I could grow a full beard, I'd still have to shave my neck. And the neck is where all the blood is.

13. danpass macrumors 68020

danpass

The family.

Left to right

1918 Gillette Old Type, the style itself is 'open comb'
    1940's Gillette Superspeed, TTO (twist to open)
    1965 Gillette Slim TTO
    1959 Gillette Fatboy TTO

all older than me.

Blade of choice: Personna Med Prep. A 250ct is essentially a two year supply.

[​IMG]

I also have a Gillette Fusion. But that is for carry on travel.

14. prostuff1 macrumors 65816

prostuff1

The only cartridge razor I use is in my travel bag.

I use a double blade safety razor now and much prefer it to cartridge stuff. The razor is a merkur and I use feather blades in it. It is way cheaper in the long run and I get a much better shave overall. It takes some getting use to but once you learn the technique it is smooth sailing.

15. mudslag macrumors regular

mudslag

Two words, women's razors. They are cheaper then men's razors, specially when buying the bulk packs.

16. DollaTwentyFive, Oct 17, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2013

DollaTwentyFive macrumors 6502a

Woo Hoo! Someone who knows how to shave.

Right now I have about 12 razors and 8 brushes and a bunch of blades stockpiled. But, if I had to do it as inexpensively as possible,I would go with:

Gillette Black Beauty Super Adjustable Razor
    Gillette Silver Blue Blades
    Badger Brush
    Cella Soap

The razor and brush are one time expenses for probably about $60
    1 year's worth of blades $15
    1 year's worth of soap $15

First year cost $90 or $7.50/month
    Subsequent years cost $2.50/month

Plus you get a better shave than with cartridges and there is ridiculously less waste. 1 completely recyclable tiny blade every week or so (I get such a close shave, I can shave every other day)

17. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

I have the same razor. I don't shave more than twice a week at most, and my facial hair doesn't grow in much (seriously, despite being 27, I look like a teenage boy going through puberty with peach fuzz no matter how long I wait between shaves) so I'll admit, my usage is certainly below average, but one blade lasts me 2 months easily. So I'm spending about 20 bucks on blades every 8 months or so. Pretty cheap if you ask me.

18. mmomega macrumors demi-god

mmomega

I just recently went "old school" again.

Picked up 2 Merkur Model 180's w/ Derby Extra DoubleEdge Razors, Taylor of Old Bond St Sandalwood Shaving Cream, Clubman Pinaud After Shave.

I still have a few Gillete Fusion Power Razors, kept 1 in our RV, 1 at home and 1 in my bathroom.
    It was getting to where it was almost cheaper to buy a new handle with blades than it was to just buy replacement blades.

Now I pay about $3-4 for a 25pack of razors and I get a closer shave + the safety razor washes clean easier than any other multi-blade razor I've used.

19. WoodNUFC macrumors 6502a

WoodNUFC

I'm another double-edge shaver. I alternate between a 1954 Gillette Superspeed (Flair Tip), a 1920s Gillette Pocket OC, and a newer EJ 89bl.

Blades = Astra SP which are $10 for 100 on Amazon. Still working on the pack that I bought September 2012. And I've been sharing the stock with my wife who uses a 1960s Gillette DE.

Soap = Geo F Trumper Violets (for all of you B&B members out there I'm 3017ing this puck and it's lasting forever)

All told, I've spent about $150 in shaving supplies since I started DE shaving last year. I have enough soaps to last a few years, my blades will last another 3 months, and my razors will last forever.

20. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

Nice!

As for me I use an Edwin Jagger one w red personnas blades made in israel.

TS after the initial investment every blade change costs around $0.10 and each blade I use three shaving sessions of 3-4 passes. The best thing of safety razor shaving is the skin feels better, muchhh better and closer shave and less irritation if any.

21. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

I've always done electric but would like to do it "old fashioned". I do worry about one mole on my neck that might cause problems. Would a safety razor help or not make much difference.

22. DollaTwentyFive macrumors 6502a

Wow - it's great to see so many traditional wetshavers here.

----------

TOBS Sandalwood and Clubman - one of my favorite combos!

23. firedept macrumors 603

firedept

Another one for Gillet Sensor Excel. Have used this one since they first came out on the market. Quite a bit cheaper than the current ones. Use it daily and has always served well.

Razor companies have our hands tied. We have to shave or go with beard.

24. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife