Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

slawejandur95

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 20, 2020
This is probably something that can be set up easily but I'm still new to Apple Watch. I have a very specific way I want to use my watch.

I want to have all notifications come to my phone (calls, messages, etc.) and have them delivered silently on my watch. For example, I receive a message on my phone but when I feel like responding through my watch, I just pull the message from notification center and respond directly on my watch. The same goes for Messenger, Instagram, etc. Is it possible?

I want my watch to be silent at all times (no sounds, haptics, screen lighting up, etc.) but still be able to interact with notifications I get on my phone via the watch. Hope that makes sense! 90% of time I'd like to use it as a regular watch with fitness features, therefore I don't want it to interrupt me when I work.

Hope you'll help me, otherwise I'd have to say goodbye to my watch :/

deckard666

macrumors 65816
Jan 16, 2007
Falmouth
just use control centre on the watch and turn on theatre mode and silent mode ?

IMG_6189.jpeg

• Love
Reactions: slawejandur95

slawejandur95

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 20, 2020

deckard666

macrumors 65816
Jan 16, 2007
Falmouth
No the watch settings dont affect the phone - leave theatre mode off then as otherwise you will have to tap the screen or press the button to get the screen to light up and use but I think that means it will light the screen when you get a notification... I could be wrong as have AW6 and that was the only way to stop screen lighting up at night when I wear it to bed. I am sure someone will be along shortly to say if I am wrong..

Reactions: slawejandur95

slawejandur95

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 20, 2020
No the watch settings dont affect the phone - leave theatre mode off then as otherwise you will have to tap the screen or press the button to get the screen to light up and use but I think that means it will light the screen when you get a notification... I could be wrong as have AW6 and that was the only way to stop screen lighting up at night when I wear it to bed. I am sure someone will be along shortly to say if I am wrong..
Screen lighting up along with my phone would be OK, I guess. The thing is, I'm a disabled person and I'm sensitive to haptic stimuli and loud chimes, therefore I need to make sure my watch won't do that, like ever ;) I know it's a unique usage scenario, but I still want to use some of AW features to help with my physical therapy

deckard666

macrumors 65816
Jan 16, 2007
Falmouth
"You control the three quiet modes from your watch’s Control Center, which you access by swiping up from the bottom of any screen. If you don’t see the specific icon you want, either flick the screen up and down with your finger or rotate the watch’s crown.

• “Silent mode” means your watch will not chime or beep but will vibrate. All other functions work normally. Turn it on and off by tapping the bell icon.
  • “Theater mode” puts your phone into silent mode and also turns off the display, unless you tap it or press a button. Your watch won’t ping or light up, but it will vibrate. Turn this mode on and off by tapping the comedy / tragedy icon.
  • “Do Not Disturb” turns off the haptics, too. You won’t get notified at all — with the important exceptions of alarms and heart rate alerts — and your screen won’t light up when notifications arrive. Turn it on and off by tapping the crescent moon icon."
Go with Do Not Disturb then....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.