Many months ago I spent 37.5% of the price of 128GB Iphone 6s to buy an android flagship

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by j2ee, Sep 29, 2015.

1. Thi macrumors member

I like getting speedy updates. My note 4 lagged on 5.0.1 really bad. iOS apps are much better. I didn't even know what I was missing being on the note 4 for the past year.

2. TeeRav19 macrumors member

TeeRav19

Jumped on the Android wagon last year with the Galaxy S5, and at first I loved it. The customization was cool but I found that over time it became a distraction - almost too many things to choose from. Between that and the device running slower and slower over time, I made the switch back to iPhone (6).

I now know why I loved my iPhone before - everything just works and I do not find myself missing any Android only features, aside from being able to long press the wifi/bluetooth/data toggles to get to the settings (but that's a small complaint). Plus the iPhone works seamlessly with both my windows laptop and my new MacBook Pro. I also like the frequent updates and support from Apple.

3. asleep macrumors 68040

asleep

My friend bought a Yugo once.

This is that.

4. Hieveryone macrumors 68040

Hieveryone

If your dates weren't impressed with your Mercedes, then there's probably something more to it tbh. I've never had a problem with mine. I'd never use an Android because fashion and style are important to me. Nobody will be impressed if you whip out a clunky android. iPhone is standard.

5. Hieveryone, Oct 1, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2015

Hieveryone macrumors 68040

Hieveryone

A lot of people I know who use Android are a part of the alternative crowd. They hate Apple, the Kardashians, and the overall lifestyle. For me, iPhone is a lifestyle statement. Part of a greater package. Christian Grey, if you will.

The specs are irrelevant. When you send a text, email, or browse the web, how many times do you think "Ugh, I wish I could get a screen capture with a palm swipe?"

Never. As long as it works and looks good, that's all that matters.

6. A.Goldberg macrumors 68020

A.Goldberg

Ok Christian Grey, but I don't think anyone over the age of 13 is "impressed" with someone owning an iPhone. You realize the majority of the US market share owns iPhones?

[​IMG]

7. Surf Donkey Suspended

Surf Donkey

The last two pages of this thread is quite possibly the most pathetic thing I have ever read on any forum. I hope this is a joke, but honestly, I don't think it is. No wonder Apple users are seen as being sheep.

8. KriStellar26 macrumors member

I'm glad I'm not the only one who saw it that way... I was trying to be nice by not responding but someone here has a bit of an obsession with self image. That personality trait is such a turn off. Owning expensive things does not make you a better person!

9. takeshi74 macrumors 601

It's not. "Good" is always highly subjective regardless of topic. You cannot assume that "good enough for me" = "good enough for everyone". Whether or not any option is good enough is for each to determine. Price isn't my primary consideration. Whether or not a given device fits my needs/wants is my primary consideration.

10. bkends35 macrumors 6502a

bkends35

That is such a laughably bad comparison.

11. macduke macrumors G4

macduke

As someone who took several psychology courses for my marketing minor, I think the more interesting psychology question is this: Why would someone think that because something is cheaper it is automatically the best choice for every use case?

12. hawon macrumors member

Contrary to many here I went with iPhone 6s due to cheaper price. When my carrier is willing to throw free money at me to use iPhone, I will get it. Got two 64gb iPhone 6s for $20/month without any downpayment. That'd cost me $60/month if I went with s6 edge

13. eoblaed macrumors 68020

eoblaed

It has nothing to do with psychology. The cheap android phone, while definitely costing less money, doesn't even come close to doing what I want. It's not a matter of mental state, it's a matter of functionality.
    • An Android phone would effectively be a standalone device in the rest of my ecosystem. This is unacceptable. Currently, my iPhone ties in natively and seamlessly with my iMac, Mac Pro, Macbook Pro, and iPad. Things I'm doing on any one of those devices are automatically reflected on the others. I don't just mean document editing, I mean things like text conversations, making calls, media, browsing, entertainment, etc. A non-iOS device would be a phone, sure, and would have apps and stuff on it, but to tie it in with the rest of my ecosystem would be laborious and sub-standard in result. No thank you. This one bullet point alone is worth the few extra bucks an iPhone costs.
    • Performance. Android devices typically lag behind their Apple counterparts, regardless of the CPU/RAM/etc specs (as a recent datapoint, see: https://meta.discourse.org/t/the-state-of-javascript-on-android-in-2015-is-poor/33889 -- where JavaScript performance on the best of Android devices is worse than a 3 year old iPhone and ~6 times slower than a 6S/6S Plus).
    • Polish. Aesthetics and polish don't matter to everyone, granted. But they matter to me. I love the fact that I actually enjoy using my phone. From the feel of the device in my hand, to the look and behavior of the UI. I'll pay extra money to have something that feels like a precision piece of engineering and behaves like a finely tuned super device rather than something that acts and performs like it came from Toys-R-Us.
    • Security. hahahahaha. That's all that need be said.
    • Updates. This cannot be stressed enough. So many Android phones languish with whatever version of the OS it shipped with. Wait times of months to get new updates is not uncommon, wait times of 'never' are also quite common. This is untenable, indefensible. Who cares if the latest candy-based OS comes out with a raft of neat new features if you'll never get them. What difference does it make if those glaring security holes that allow attackers to remotely hack into your phone and execute malicious code get fixed if you'll never get them. For a very large percentage of Android owners, the only way to get an updated OS is to purchase a new phone. For iOS devices, even ones that are several years old, updates can be applied the same hour they're released by Apple. This single point is also worth the cost of an iPhone over Android.
    Not psychology. iPhones work as part of a larger picture, perform better, have a better feel and UI, and are constantly kept up to date and secure.

14. Jimmy James macrumors 601

Jimmy James

I find that incredibly sad.

15. Hieveryone macrumors 68040

Hieveryone

I think the opposite. Usually things that cost more are better. That's almost always the case. iPhone for example- More money = more storage.

16. macduke macrumors G4

macduke

I don't think that's always the case. There are always exceptions. I always do quick research before buying something, and more thorough research when buying something expensive. For instance, many of the new mirrorless cameras from companies like Sony have much better image quality than more expensive dSLRs. But it still comes down to preference to a certain extent, such as body size or available lenses. Then there are those companies that seem like exceptions. One is Anker, which makes a lot of quality products that are sold on Amazon. They've made some of the best chargers, USB charging batteries, and USB hubs I've ever used and for fairly low prices. They're not the cheapest but certainly the cheapest for the quality you get. They even have nice packaging, lol. It's not quite black and white. But when it comes to phones, tablets, laptops and desktops, I'm Apple all the way because generally they've worked out great for me. There's also the resale value to consider.

17. Hieveryone macrumors 68040

Hieveryone

Oh I agree 100%! It's not always the case at all. But generally that's what I've found for many things.

18. ultravisitor macrumors 6502a

ultravisitor

So. much. irony.

19. se1000 macrumors 6502

se1000

This isn't necessarily true. Keep in mind I use both Android and iPhone on a daily basis.

- App ecosystem may definitely be relevant to a particular user such as yourself, and IMO justification enough to blindly go with an iPhone. This is part of what Apple does on purpose, and does it well. It doesn't necessarily mean everyone has the same circumstance, they may be in a position to freely choose Android or iOS or any other mobile device for that matter. A lot of what Apple integrates between it's various operating systems can also be done on Android and Windows as well, with surprisingly little effort these days. For example, I've always preferred Firefox as my browser of choice and it synchronizes bookmarks, settings, etc between my desktop and Android phone. Not all of it's perfect, but it isn't on Apple either quite frankly.

- Performance. It's funny how you link to someone speaking of javascript performance, and then post a picture where Android phones top the performance charts. Regardless of what people complain about, most decent android phones from the past few years perform well. Performance perceptions can be very different between the way people use their devices as well. For example, until the 6s was released, my Android phone could transfer files much quicker than my iPhone could.

- Polish, so yeah the iPhone's attention to detail is amazing, but again, Android phones are catching up very quickly and there have been Android phones that have been very well made for quite a while. The Sony Z3 (and Z2 before it) had excellent attention to detail and felt every bit if not more premium than the iPhone does. I also still HATE the antenna lines of the iPhone 6 and 6s.

- Security - You mean since every version of iOS has had a jailbreak? Both mobile platforms have security issues and will continue to have them. We've had major bugs on both over the past year. Both are fairly secure if you don't do anything to really put your device at risk. If you think iOS is any more secure than Android, you're really kidding yourself. There is the point of older devices and updates, which is valid, but even in this sense, you could simply opt for a Nexus device and not worry about it. The Nexus 5 is an excellent example.

- Updates. I half agree with you here, since as I just said you can get Android phones that do upgrade very quickly. Manufacturers have also been much better at this lately, with all the major Android phones now getting timely updates, especially security related ones. Again, if this is your concern with Android, get a Nexus 5. Simple. On the Apple side, iOS 8.0.1 was the only software release in the past few years that has completely disabled a device that I've owned.

So what am I trying to say? They both have their strengths, use the phone that makes you happy. Not sure why people try to convince everyone else what to use.

20. Rayy42 macrumors 6502

Rayy42

I buy Apple because I want something premium.

That's why I have a 64GB Plus, 64GB LTE Air 2, rMBP, and Apple TV.

All products are premium and just work.

21. se1000 macrumors 6502

se1000

I think this is a funny phrase, especially since a lot of this forum is full of stuff on apple devices that don't work.

22. Rayy42 macrumors 6502

Rayy42

Things are working fine on my iDevices.

Love MacRumors but many come here to be negative, argue, and nitpick.

Some problems are valid, many are pushing it.

Again YMMV but all my products are running smooth on the latest software.

23. se1000 macrumors 6502

se1000

I can say the same thing about my Windows desktop, my windows laptop and my Android phone. They all have had minimal problems. I'll go ahead and say the same about my iPhone 6s, works great.

Yeah I agree, some people are just complaining, and I'd also say on mobile platforms in general, apps have a lot to do with issues as well. A bad app on either device can make it unstable. You have to admit Apple has had their fare share of confirmed issues, it's not like it's just problem free land over here.

24. AleXXXa, Oct 1, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2015

AleXXXa macrumors 6502

AleXXXa

Yeah, that's why i do it, too. :D
    But the thing is i kinda got used to the comfort and power of a big Mercedes. When i drive a cheap car like my wife's VW or the car i got from work (a Mondeo) i feel like i've gone back in time 15 years and i appreciate my S Class even more.

The same with the iPhone. I initially got it to show off (they weren't sold here until the 4 i believe), but now i can't use another phone.

25. Surf Donkey Suspended

Surf Donkey

Interesting psychology indeed. You got what you wanted OP.

1. I have learned that some Apple users are VERY shallow. They feel better about themselves and think people perceive them in a more positive way because they have an apple logo on their phone.

2. Apple users also associate the Apple premium pricing with premium product and quality. The Apple marketing department deserves a pat on the back for this. You have bought exactly what they market to you so hard, Apple is a luxury brand. Guess that takes it right back to point 1.