Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dazloe

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 22, 2008
Greetings ladies and gents, whoever said Mac Pro's in March; 10 brownie points to you! As the same as some of you, After the news this morning I have just realized how I should've have gone the old mac pro! and it's not because of the specifications, believe me I'm happy with the specs, but it cost $6000 in Aus!

The old octo core cost $4000, that is a big difference! for a performance gain that definitely isn't worth $2000! Does anyone else feel my pain? haha, but if I were in America I would definitely go for it. Anyway I just thought I would be the voice of many regretful australians :) Everyone who does buy one, have fun with your new toy :)

OZMP

macrumors 6502
Feb 18, 2008
looks like i wont be updating this generation :(

Funny how they dont list a FSB speed!

Chilz0r

macrumors regular
Jul 20, 2007
Because the FSB doesn't really exist lol. Anyway Australia always get's shafted. I'm happy I bought when I did.

DoFoT9

macrumors P6
Jun 11, 2007
London, United Kingdom
are you forgetting exchange rates???

MP in america: $3,299US
MP in australia: $3,721US.

i wonder why on earth there is a $500 difference?? are we THAT far away!?!?!?!? rediculous. i could probably get a MP from america shipped over to here for cheaper then that.

its also similar with iMacs and MacMinis.

Chilz0r

macrumors regular
Jul 20, 2007
Can't remember but I think we get some kind of import/customs tax if a product comes from America.

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
are you forgetting exchange rates???

MP in america: $3,299US
MP in australia: $3,721US.

i wonder why on earth there is a $500 difference?? are we THAT far away!?!?!?!? rediculous. i could probably get a MP from america shipped over to here for cheaper then that.

its also similar with iMacs and MacMinis.

Because Jobs doesn't like the Aussies.

dazloe

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 22, 2008
Ah well what a morning, still trying to chase up an old mac pro. It ain't easy!
about the tax from America thing: I recently ordered a macbook pro from america, even though the exchange rate is so bad (Aus = 63 cents!) I still saved $500 and I didn't get charged tax of any sort.

With the macbook pro it was easy to get a power supply, but I was just thinking of the mac pro? is there any change in voltage or anything like that? I'm not very knowledgeable in this area, but would a mac pro from america work in australia?

DoFoT9

macrumors P6
Jun 11, 2007
London, United Kingdom
Ah well what a morning, still trying to chase up an old mac pro. It ain't easy!
about the tax from America thing: I recently ordered a macbook pro from america, even though the exchange rate is so bad (Aus = 63 cents!) I still saved $500 and I didn't get charged tax of any sort.

excellent to hear! i might buy a mini that way, probably only save $100 but ahwell!

With the macbook pro it was easy to get a power supply, but I was just thinking of the mac pro? is there any change in voltage or anything like that? I'm not very knowledgeable in this area, but would a mac pro from america work in australia?

not that i actually know, but i was talking to an american girl the other day who came out here from the US, her MacBook unibody had an american charger. she got the changer that makes it compatible with our plugs.. but every few days the power supply gets jolted and refuses to work for days on end..

so im going to say that it wont work, probably because our power supply levels are twice that of the US.. it just cant handle it.

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
I just rechecked your figures and there's an oversight. It's really US$3392 in Australia because you need to subtract GST for a fair comparison (the US prices do not include tax).

i was talking to an american girl the other day who came out here from the US, her MacBook unibody had an american charger. she got the changer that makes it compatible with our plugs.. but every few days the power supply gets jolted and refuses to work for days on end..

I've been using a US MBP and charger for over two years now without issue. The specs on the charger itself list support for 230 V at 50 Hz and it works fine. I'd be surprised if the newer models aren't compatible.

DoFoT9

macrumors P6
Jun 11, 2007
London, United Kingdom
I just rechecked your figures and there's an oversight. It's really US$3392 in Australia because you need to subtract GST for a fair comparison (the US prices do not include tax).

aahh good point. well spotted. $100 for shipping still seems pretty high!! they are already in the flippin country! isnt it closer to ship to australia from Taiwan anyways???

they should be universal

dazloe

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 22, 2008
not that i actually know, but i was talking to an american girl the other day who came out here from the US, her MacBook unibody had an american charger. she got the changer that makes it compatible with our plugs.. but every few days the power supply gets jolted and refuses to work for days on end..

so im going to say that it wont work, probably because our power supply levels are twice that of the US.. it just cant handle it.

Hmmm...damn! Well I'm fresh out of ideas. I was thinking about waiting until the australian currency climbs (yes and I realize the possibility of a very long wait...) but if that's the case (and I know your answer isn't definite, but it would make sense...) well then it looks like the old mac pro is the go...

DoFoT9

macrumors P6
Jun 11, 2007
London, United Kingdom
Hmmm...damn! Well I'm fresh out of ideas. I was thinking about waiting until the australian currency climbs (yes and I realize the possibility of a very long wait...) but if that's the case (and I know your answer isn't definite, but it would make sense...) well then it looks like the old mac pro is the go...

yes, unless you can get a definative answer on the problem the old MP is the best option.

you can probably find hundreds on ebay as people sell them off for newer ones. would find some very nice deals too i guess.

Chaos123x

macrumors 68000
Jul 8, 2008
Well I guess that will teach you for putting Vegamite on all your food.

Plus Steve Jobs hates Kangaroos, he has mentioned it a few times in interviews.

dazloe

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 22, 2008
yes, unless you can get a definative answer on the problem the old MP is the best option.

you can probably find hundreds on ebay as people sell them off for newer ones. would find some very nice deals too i guess.

Good point, if I can wait a long time for the Aus currency, then I can wait a while for an old mac pro to pop up :)

dazloe

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 22, 2008
thats true, mind you some PPC G5's are still going for 2.5k!!!!!!

edit: actually now that i read your sig, probably yours would go for at least 3k!

Well I was going to sell mine to raise funds for the new mac pro...but it looks like I'll be raising funds for the old one :)

dazloe

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 22, 2008
haha to true. wish i could afford even a G5!! my MBP is getting to slow and old for me.

p.s. swap ya haha?

p.s.s. what do you do?

hehe I think I might have found an old one :) I do mainly Audio Production (re-wiring Reason 4 and Live 7 through logic studio, even I was surprised with amount of Ram I could use doing just that, not to mention at least fifty tracks per song filled with plugins :)

Thinking about doing some photography though, not quite sure how I would go about that...aperture obviously, but for the moment getting the rest of my home studio together is the priority :)

DoFoT9

macrumors P6
Jun 11, 2007
London, United Kingdom
hehe I think I might have found an old one :) I do mainly Audio Production (re-wiring Reason 4 and Live 7 through logic studio, even I was surprised with amount of Ram I could use doing just that, not to mention at least fifty tracks per song filled with plugins :)

Thinking about doing some photography though, not quite sure how I would go about that...aperture obviously, but for the moment getting the rest of my home studio together is the priority :)

oh ok well that makes a lot of sense! wow you do some pretty intense stuff so a new MP will be very welcome.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.