Maps Corrections. Has Apple fixed anything of your reports?

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by ipedro, Oct 17, 2012.

1. ipedro macrumors 68040

ipedro

It's been about a month since iOS 6 was released to the public. While the app itself is a huge leap forward, poor map data has dogged it since launch day. Apple has said that the more you use Maps, the better it will get. In theory, data quality should have begun to improve on day one as people reported errors around them and businesses added themselves into arguably one of the most important tools for helping customers find them.

I'm in Toronto and have found the maps app to be more or less rich in points of interest although it looks like address pinpointing need to be calibrated because almost every address pin is off by between 30-50 yards. I did encounter some spelling or naming errors and a busy gas station is missing from the map while a oil change service station is incorrectly labelled as a gas station (with a pump icon).

I've submitted those errors on day one and none of them are fixed. I even submitted them in both Yelp and Maps and still no fix.

Have you found any of your error reports to have been corrected?

This thread is to list errors that Maps has corrected that you reported as a problem.

2. RoboCop001 macrumors 65816

I'm in Toronto too, and there's a gas station on the map that doesn't exist anymore. Notified them about it, but it hasn't been corrected yet.

They probably have to verify the error first, however they accomplish that. And I'm sure they're getting a lot of reports.

It'll take time, but they'll fix the errors.

3. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

4. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

I've reported dozens but haven't seen any updated yet. :(

5. The Phazer macrumors 68030

I've had some changed but Apple hasn't got a correction right yet. They've just been changed to wrong in different ways.

6. CTHarrryH macrumors 65816

Every map and gps system and maps that I've ever used, including Google, has errors and is somewhat out of date particularly with POI information. There is no excuse for landmarks that have been there for decades being out of place or missing but a lot of changes have to be checked and verified (so that a competitor doesn't say your business is gone, etc.) and then packaged into many other changes.
    There should be fixes already out for missing landmarks but I think it is un-realistic to expect a gas station issue to be fixed yet. Those type of changes take a year or more in my experience to actually show up in a map.

7. big samm macrumors 65816

Ive reported several places but none of them got updated yet. I guess with time they will get updated!

8. The Phazer macrumors 68030

False equivalence.

Sure, Google Maps are probably only 98% accurate.

Apple Maps in London is about 20% accurate. Points of Interest are less than 5% accurate. That is a very significant difference.

9. AlphaVictor87 macrumors 6502a

AlphaVictor87

Maybe someone knows better but maybe this is something they can't push out over the network?

I do recall a thread here a few months ago when beta 3 got released and they showed pictures from beta 1, beta 2 and beta 3 on how maps was getting better and better.

Perhaps they actually have to put out an update now.

10. ipedro thread starter macrumors 68040

ipedro

I've just noticed that Yelp has added my gas station submission but it's not available in Maps when I do a search there.

http://www.yelp.ca/biz/7-eleven-toronto-10

For the record, this gas station has been here for decades, the last 6 or 7 years as a 7-11.

Apple needs local moderators verifying submissions. I guess this is what they're using Apple store employees for but they need to get on this. People will stop submitting errors if they notice they don't get fixed.

----------

No, the database is on their servers. They already updated things like the Statue of Liberty for example.

11. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

A Starbucks located near me which was not listed when iOS 6 first came out is now listed. Not sure if this is Apple fixing their database or if it's due to a change in how that location was listed in Yelp.

12. nepalisherpa macrumors 68020

nepalisherpa

I have submitted many fixes including one POI that I have been consistently reporting almost everyday since the past two weeks and none have been updated.

13. ipedro thread starter macrumors 68040

ipedro

Hey Robocop, have you noticed that some new streets don't yet exist? Lower Ossington which opened in the Spring is still listed as terminating at the big CAMH building.

This brings up another question: how do you submit new streets? Maps doesn't have that functionality and its out of the purview of Yelp. Maybe TomTom will update it for Apple?

14. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

Submitted dozens in small town Midwest USA; no changes yet. Hopes are not up. :cool:

15. RoboCop001 macrumors 65816

Hmmm yeah there's no specific selection for a missing street, just a missing location or incorrect street name. But I suppose one could use the "My problem isn't listed" and just submit it there.

16. chrisu91 macrumors regular

Yorkdale Subway Station in Toronto was missing when iOS 6 launched but it now shows up. Although, the icon shows it as a bus stop and not a subway station.

17. Christoffee macrumors regular

Christoffee

I'm in a small town in England. I've submitted road names changes, additional road names, moved POIs and added POIs. Nothing yet.

If the submissions start to happen I'll do my local area, but I guess little towns are a low priority.

18. 8a22a macrumors 6502a

8a22a

19. TranceNW macrumors regular

No changes implemented that I've submitted :(
    The faster they do the changes, the more inclined people may be to submit them.

20. kas23 macrumors 603

kas23

No changes here either. It's been 3 weeks. Well, that game was fun, but I'm tired of it now. Can't they just manually pilfer data from Google Maps?

21. Firefight macrumors newbie

In Ontario, it's listing all the highways that were downloaded in 1997-1998 as current King's Highways. Like there's shields for Hwys 11, 11A, 5, 2, 20, 50, 61B, on and on. The QEW has no shield displayed and anything cosigned (like QEW & 403 or 11 & 17) only displays one shield.

22. dlbmacfan macrumors regular

None of the submissions I've made in Albuquerque, NM have been fixed.

23. 8a22a macrumors 6502a

8a22a

If they just trusted our changes and applied them in real time, we could correct everything in 24 hours.

24. Vandefilm macrumors regular

Indeed, and after that you can filter out the 'funny guys' who supplement wrong things. On many occasions there will be more than 1 guy/girl supplementing a change. It's easy to figure out what the correct one is. But hey, thats just us thinking way to simple i guess...