Mario Kart Wii: What do you think?

Discussion in 'Console Games' started by Spanky Deluxe, Apr 11, 2008.

1. Spanky Deluxe macrumors 601

Spanky Deluxe

For those who have already got the game, what are your thoughts so far on it?

I've only played it for about an hour or so but it does seem good so far. I haven't played any of the remake tracks but I'm going to do that now.

What control set are you using? I've tried the Wii Steering Wheel, Wii Remote + Nunchuck and Gamecube Controller, having done a grand prix with each. I ended up settling on the Wii Remote + Nunchuck in the end. The Gamecube Controller is used differently to MK:DD on the 'cube which makes it a bit annoying. They've made it so that the buttons pretty much match with the configuration of the Wiimote + Nunchuck mode so the 'squishy' top left button becomes the fire button and its too 'squishy' to be of any use. I was disappointed with the Wheel since it just didn't feel like I was in control of the car.

What do the rest of you think and is there anything anyone would like to know?

2. Much Ado macrumors 68000

Much Ado

*Checks calendar*

That's very clever... :)

How is online working for you? I think that's a big selling point for me.

3. dalvin200 macrumors 68040

Only received mine this morning..

Had a very quick blast but will be on it most of the evening..

Really looking forward to it, as its one of my favourite Mario games ever :)

Playing online should also be fun :p

4. Spanky Deluxe thread starter macrumors 601

Spanky Deluxe

I was up at 7:30 and the store is only five minutes walk from my house so I figured I'd get a copy at opening.

I'm trying to play online but there are no other players yet! Have been waiting a few minutes now and there are two others ready to play apparently.

Edit: Online play seems fun and very easy to use. I'm going to go back to single player for a while though and learn the courses a bit!

5. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

So the steering wheel sucks then.....doesn't the game come with the wheel? I want to get this game but I don't think its out in the U.S yet...

How does it feel with the wheel?

Bless

6. Spanky Deluxe thread starter macrumors 601

Spanky Deluxe

Yeah it does come with a wheel and I bought a second one too. The thing I don't like with the wheel is that you never know what 'full lock' is. With an analogue stick you know you've hit it when the stick can't physically move any further. I would say that when you do get the game, play a grand prix with each control method and see which suits you best. For people that haven't played MK before, they might find the wheel better. For myself, coming from the 'cube, the Wiimote + nunchuck feels the natural successor imo.

BTW The remakes of the old tracks rock especially the SNES ones. I wish they'd put them all on!

7. dalvin200 macrumors 68040

So its pretty much like playing Mario Kart on the DS .. i love the old tracks..

I'm assuming there are new courses on the Wii version right?

Its released in the US end of this month, so there will be more online players available then :)

Until then, it's a matter of playing against your known friends/relatives..

8. Spanky Deluxe thread starter macrumors 601

Spanky Deluxe

I did only try to play on this continent and considering its only been out for about four hours, I wouldn't expect many on the online play. Everyone wants to complete the game on their own first.

There's the same spiel as usual, mushroom, flower, star and special cups all with completely new courses (rainbow road is a bitch at first as per usual). Then there are four more grand prix all made up of remade versions of old tracks from the SNES, N64, GBA, DS and GC. The gamecube ones kind of suck since they're pretty much exactly the same as on the cube, I would have preferred some more remade SNES ones. I haven't unlocked the fourth remake grand prix yet, I'm hoping it'll have the SNES Rainbow Road though...

9. spyker3292 macrumors 65816

I like all the Mario Karts. I'll probably get this one a bit late because I'm low on cash for games and I want the CoD4 maps and Warhawk map :D. But I'll get it sometime... The DS one was great.

10. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I'm injured so I can't play this yet :( . But I've got some local friends playing it and loving this game already planning a big multiplayer tonight. A while ago I found some (probably fake) Nintendo wheels on the market for a quid each so I stocked up on them. Worked quite well for Excite Truck *shrugs*

btw Sainsbury's has it for £26.

11. digitalnicotine macrumors 65816

digitalnicotine

Thanks for previews. I have it on pre-order, and am hoping the wheel also works with Excite Truck.

12. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

I've been playing for the last couple of hours ;):p feck work :D

It's really good but hey I loved the contentious double dash too.
    I'm using the game cube controller as it's more comfortable to me.
    Tried the wheel and very quickly gave up on it... it looks pretty though.

Online did take a while to find people but I've had a good number of lag free races so far.

I really like it.... and it didn't cost me much (got €38 trade in value on two ps3 games each, and both cost me €28 to buy new off ebay... delightful :D )

edit:- Oh I got a new wii and gave my old one away as wii key was worthless to me, so I must re-post my new wii friends thing. And bloody wii account and points do not transfer from one console to the other so I have to rebuy all marketplace things again... screw that! cheapskates.

13. Tom B. macrumors 65816

Tom B.

I just got it this morning, so far I think it's great!

I never really liked Double Dash because the handling just felt 'wrong' to me after growing up with Mario Kart 64. However, I think it is much better in Mario Kart Wii, even with the steering wheel which is actually surprisingly easy to use.
    Also, I think its cool that there are now 12 racers on each race.

Overall, I love it so far and I think this will be just the game to tide me over until Super Smash Bros. Brawl's UK release (1st June?)

14. Antares macrumors 68000

Antares

Sure, sure. Gloat and tease us that you have this game now and we have to wait until the end of the month. :mad: Lucky buggers. ;)

15. dalvin200 macrumors 68040

Home from work and just completed Mushroom and Flower Cup - got grade A at 50cc...

Looking fwd to the bikes actually, but spoilt it by playing online..

wow.. that was awesome!!! i played with a mario bike and came 3rd twice so my online points (you start off with 5000) upped a few hundred i think..

we should have a MR contest maybe? ;)

batteries ran out.. lol!! just charging them up now.. will play after putting the kids down :p

16. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

cool. looking forward to the release in the US

17. student_trap macrumors 68000

student_trap

*cough*SSBB*cough*:mad:

18. student_trap macrumors 68000

student_trap

19. LastLine macrumors 65816

I'm loving it, picked it up at ASDA at a little after midnight on launch and went straight home with a second Wii Wheel to play with my fiance, we're hooked! The wheel isn't perhaps the best control option but it makes it so much more fun as a game, which is perhaps it's best blessing! Haven't tried other combos though so this isn't exactly objective.

Online's a bit spotty at the minute but nothing serious, server overload perhaps I'm not sure.

The game on the whole plays very similar to Mario Kart DS which is actually a good thing, but adds enough new twists to keep it new, this is one game I won't be trading in!

On a parting note though, anyone know how to make your Mii's race? Read it was possible but not sure how.

20. mrgreen4242 macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

Here's a question: I read that when you play online and use the wheel you have a special icon next to your name. Is there a way to set an online match to only play against people with the wheel? I'm in the US, so obviously haven't played it yet, but I can see where the wheel could be a more fun way to play, but also where using a GameCube controller, or even the nunchuck might give you an advantage, so it would be nice to have the option of multiplayer with just people using the wheel...

21. Tom B. macrumors 65816

Tom B.

I just played online non-stop with my brother for just under three hours, and for the last hour and a half, we both voted for Rainbow Road every time, but it never got chosen!

22. Antares macrumors 68000

Antares

How does the sense of speed feel to you guys? That's what I'm worried about. Double Dash felt quite slow compared to 64. How does the Mario Kart Wii feel? Also, do the races seem fair or cheap?

23. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

^ Sense of speed has improved. (Though I seem to be the only one who loved double dash)

Ok I can finally say this about a Wii game

I Love This Game !!!

Online works fantastic, no lag so far and finding competitors easily now. (I choose continental)

I have even grown attached to the steering wheel. I really like it now and after a short while it feels natural and not gimiky at all.

Best game on the wii for me so far - it's fantastic.

Yeah it is very similar to MarioKart DS but that's not a bad thing I guess.

Also wondering this. I haven't found the option yet for mii use, maybe local multiplayer only ?

24. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

I know theres isn't a mount for the wheel so does that mean you have to hold it up or can you sit it on your lap and drive?

I would love to take it on a ride online.....should be great.

I'm loving what I'm hearing and I can't wait for this game....when is it coming out in the U.S?

Bless

25. Antares macrumors 68000

Antares

You haven't gotten your hands on Brawl yet, have you?

As for the Mii thing...maybe it's an unlockable option....