Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

KurtangleTN

macrumors 6502a
Apr 2, 2007
I gotta say, I was pretty excited for Mario Kart Wii and in the end its a huge disappointment.

Blue Turtle Shells are way too common and so are the other overpowered items like lightning, bullet bills, etc.

I really would like to unlock some of the characters but most of them are a massive chore to unlock, specifically the star ones. I mean with the overpowered items, crappy rubber band AI, and small margin between an A and a star, I'm not sure what they were thinking.

echeck

macrumors 68000
Apr 20, 2004
Boise, Idaho
I miss the giant Bowser shell from Double Dash, that thing was fun!

I agree blue shells are far too common, but I'm the one that always gets hit by them so I'm a bit bias. The two items I absolutely hate are the giant mushroom and the lightning cloud. I absolutely hate the lightning cloud! I'm pretty good at dumping it off to someone else but I still hate the thing, and the giant mushroom is all together worthless.

The game is still fun, but there are some excrutiatingly frustrating issues. Namely losing 400 points in one stinkin' race. :mad:

CrazyLazyMan

macrumors newbie
May 5, 2008
So this thread was pretty buried, does anyone play Mario Kart anymore?

I play this game way too much!! I play for an hour everyday when I come home for lunch. I then play for an hour or two when I get home from work. And after the wife and kid goes to bed I play for another two to three hours staying up much later than I really should. I really enjoy the game but it can be extremely frustrating at times. But then again what game isn't??

JackAxe

macrumors 68000
Jul 6, 2004
In a cup of orange juice.
Points are cool. Why are you guys getting them? I have yet to play online.

I still play the game, but have been absolutely swamped with work lately, so have had to put all gaming on hold.

<]=)

echeck

macrumors 68000
Apr 20, 2004
Boise, Idaho
I played it regularly for a couple weeks then went back to Brawl.

I haven't played Brawl since Mario Kart came out even though it frustrates me to no end.

I just can't seem to stop playing! I get so completely pissed off, yet no more than three or four hours later it's like it never happened so I play some more.

I'm pathetic, I know. ;)

rockthecasbah

macrumors 68020
Apr 12, 2005
Moorestown, NJ
Well I absolutely love Mario Kart Wii. I think the weapons issues are all minor flaws but make the game easier to stay competitive in. In regards to the blue shell, i wish it were much less common but be the N64-version where it would hit every player in front of you up to the first person. The new weapons aren't so hot, but the game is still quite fun so it doesn't bother me. I haven't played battle yet, only Grand Prix 1P gold up through all cups except Special and Lightning thus far and internet matches...

Nintendo has pleased me most with the internet play, bikes, and loads of courses (despite reusing not-so-great ones from Double Dash). Mario Kart Wii is a fabulous game, I play it every time I play Wii right now.

dalvin200

macrumors 68040
Mar 24, 2006
Nottingham, UK
Do well online; gain points
Do bad online; lose points.
Base figure is 5000. Be sure to play against 4000 points people :D

unfortunately, i don't think you can pick/choose the players by points..
or can you?
i';ve been up to about 6000 points and then back down to 5000 but now am back up to around 5600... its like gambling!! totally addictive..

but i so hate hate hate rainbow road.. i switch the console off if that course gets chosen online!! lol..

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
Nah you can't pick who you race against but when I get in a room full of 4000-5000 people I do smile inside a little :D

Rainbow Road? I hated it at first but I got really good at it using the Standard M Bike. Don't fall off anymore except for when someone launches a blue shell and hits when your in mid air :mad:

Antares

macrumors 68000
Yes, I hate the stupid blue shells. I, too, think the Mario Kart 64 blue shell was the best version of it. I also don't like the fact that you loose items inside the box when you are hit by lightning or spin out....you should only loose items that you are dragging behind you. Oh and I really miss the ghost item.

That said, I think Mario Kart Wii is the most addictive game of this generation. When I play online, I tell myself that "I'll only play a few races." But then it becomes...."okay, one more race." And then, "just one more, I lost some points and want to get back above 6,000." And yet again, "ooh, I'll stop after one more race." My intent is to play for a half hour. Yet that half hour becomes two hours...or more. Mario Kart may not be perfect but nobody can deny that it is probably the most fun game of this generation (on all systems).

stagi

macrumors 65816
Feb 18, 2006
I love this game, still trying to win all of the levels and the 150 cc is tough for me, but having lots of fun.

SamIchi

macrumors 68030
Aug 1, 2004
I haven't read the other posts, but I thought I'd chime in.

I wasn't planning on getting this game, due to the overall lack of gaming in my life. The GC and N64 versions were OK, and the wheel just didn't excite me. After seeing the review posted by Gametrailers, I really thought this was the lamest of the series.

Well I did get it, I had credit at EB, and was greatly surprised. The elements that they added are great. The trick system, although super shallow, adds a lot to the game. It adds two great elements to the game. One, it's gives you the extra edge to take the lead, or keep the lead. Two, takes away from the monotony of racing. One of the main reasons why I didn't like the N64 and GC (although I did play them through) ones was because I felt the transition to 3-d added too much space (another dimension, duhhh) but they didn't fill that space.

*thinks of Wario Stadium N64, boring, wiiiiddee track*

The added jumps and tricks in MK Wii fill that extra space nicely. Everything is more dynamic, and exciting to play. You can plainly experience this when you play the lower cups (retro stages) compared to the new tracks, the new tracks are super dynamic, with crazy aerials, terrain changes and excitement with every turn.

Things that I thought were a bad move by Nintendo, like taking away the drift dash maneuver (clicking the analog stick back and forth) "dumbing down gameplay", didn't really affect the game experience, it kind of makes me think of the "old system" as superfluous. I'd like to think it as streamlined, not dumbed down.

Everything in this game just feels faster. The extra mini boosts, and the wheelies on the bike, all nicely added features. I can't say the same for Double dash featuring 2 racers. Your thumb is always on the move planning ahead for drifts and jumps.

One thing I need to comment on is the items. There seemed to be complaints about unfairness, but for the most part, I don't see a problem with them, when you stick every drift and get every mini boost. I always end up at first. I've played through everything in 50 & 100CC, flawless. Maybe 150CC is insanely hard or sumthin, but I'm up for it.

I tried the wheel on one circuit, it was hard. It would probably be fun if others were all holding wheels, but playing alone, I choose the Wavebird (Nintendo Bring it back!) Which reminds me, pressing down on the analog R don't make you drift, which really threw me off ( I hope I'm talking about the right game...) in the beginning, you have to press it all the way down, but like now I don't even notice, that's why I questioned if this is the right game (but MK has pretty much the only game i've been playin so it has to be). I'm pretty sure in MKDD you didn't have to press all the way.

Well anyways, partly because of my low expectation and a couple reviews, I really thought this game was going to be weak. But now I think this is the best of the Mario Karts. The tracks are awesome, the features are amazing, online... I keep getting kicked off, but I think that's a router problem. Well online is fun when I could play. If you have a Wii, this is a must have.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
Drift dash is in this game. You need to be in Manual mode and the sparks still turn blue/yellow when you tilt the controller doing a slide.

SamIchi

macrumors 68030
Aug 1, 2004
Drift dash is in this game. You need to be in Manual mode and the sparks still turn blue/yellow when you tilt the controller doing a slide.

Yea, I was talking about the technique to make it happen. Clicking back in forth as opposed to just tilting.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.