Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

siurpeeman

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2006
the OC
like my fellow US gamers, i'm awaiting the release later this month. it'll be a long wait, yes, but i can pass the time with okami (missed it on ps2). :)

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
Folks I ordered it from haven't dispatched it yet. Probably got a bit of a wait :(

IscariotJ

macrumors 6502a
Jan 13, 2004
UK
Issue With Wheel

Ok, this just may be an issue with getting used to the wheel, but on several occasions - especially when landing after a huge jump - I'll turn the wheel, and the kart turns the wrong way. I've also noticed that it prefers to be put straight before turning, too.

Anyone else noticed this, or is it just a case of getting used to the wheel?

If it means that I need to play it lots more, then so be it...... :D

student_trap

macrumors 68000
Mar 14, 2005
'Ol Smokey, UK
bought it today at zavvi, their system said they had no stock but the guy found one in the cupboard! so far so good, although its rinsing my batteries!:)

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
K this game is hot. The online bit is actually pretty comprehensive to say it's a Nintendo game, especially that channel you can add. Just been watching how some players get high scores on some tracks.
Really good stuff! I'd be playing now if I wasn't shattered!

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
Just finished all the main tracks and working through the retro ones. To say it's a Nintendo game online works brilliantly especially with that extra channel you're given.

Haven't played a local multiplayer yet.

Our manual is in German too! Everything else is English cept the manual so I don't know how to pull off some of these tricks. Suppose I'll find out eventually or just read Gamefaqs.

Definitely my fave game in the series now. First Mario, then Brawl and now Kart. Nintendo are doing a good job with sequels this gen.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Our manual is in German too! Everything else is English cept the manual so I don't know how to pull off some of these tricks.

There is only one way to pull off a trick, the outcome or particular trick is slightly random and dependent on vehicle. ;)

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
What's the deal about bikes too? I've played with bikes online and with time trials and they don't seem much different, a bit quicker at turning maybe and they can pull a wheely? What's it all for!

student_trap

macrumors 68000
Mar 14, 2005
'Ol Smokey, UK
What's the deal about bikes too? I've played with bikes online and with time trials and they don't seem much different, a bit quicker at turning maybe and they can pull a wheely? What's it all for!

wheelies add a little more speed but sacrifice maneuverability, otherwise, for me the bikes just seem quicker in general: faster turning, faster acceleration, however they suffer incredibly when raced alongside heavy cars such as those of DK and king boo etc, because you get knocked off really easily!

AJsAWiz

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2007
Ohio
Weeeeeee!

Anyone going to pick theirs up at one of the midnight launches?
I believe Best Buy and GameStop are doing this.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
Does this game involve any skill?

Yup. Red and Blue shells can be avoided, even the Pow blocks can be too. People say the items take away from the skill but it becomes a skill to keep in first place and avoid being hit.

Granted it doesn't require as much skill as F-Zero.

Much Ado

macrumors 68000
Sep 7, 2006
UK
Yup. Red and Blue shells can be avoided, even the Pow blocks can be too. People say the items take away from the skill but it becomes a skill to keep in first place and avoid being hit.

Granted it doesn't require as much skill as F-Zero.

Can the Wario Shells be avoided? I thought they were 100% accurate.

I would buy this game if I wasn't terrified of being beaten by 8 year olds :D:eek:

Tom B.

macrumors 65816
Mar 22, 2006
London
Can the Wario Shells be avoided? I thought they were 100% accurate.

Wario shells? I assume you mean blue shells, but I have never heard them referred to as Wario shells. Anyway, it can be possible to avoid them in some unusual situation, but often the best thing to do is to slow down just enough that your main rivals get caught in the blast.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
It's also possible to do a little speed boost just before they drop and you can clear them. Needs some monster quality timing though.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
Get in the air ASAP :p I've noticed only a few tracks are 100% flat (save the old tracks), probably designed so you can veer off the side of the track and go over mini bumps to avoid being hit.

stagi

macrumors 65816
Feb 18, 2006
going to pick this up on Monday! Might have to take the afternoon off :D

JackAxe

macrumors 68000
Jul 6, 2004
In a cup of orange juice.
Finally! :)

I hope this is DS worthy, so far it's fun, but I suck with the manual slide. I suppose I should read how to actually do it. It seems to be a jump like the old days, but I'm not getting the hang of it. Probably because I'm trying the tortuous wheel, just because it's different.

I was worried this game would pull a Smash Brothers(tards) and not use the pointer function of the Wiimote. Thankfully it does.

<]=)

apfhex

macrumors 68030
Aug 8, 2006
Northern California
I hope this is DS worthy, so far it's fun, but I suck with the manual slide. I suppose I should read how to actually do it. It seems to be a jump like the old days, but I'm not getting the hang of it. Probably because I'm trying the tortuous wheel, just because it's different.
Turbo boosting is a lot easier using the nunchuck/Classic Controller/GC controller, like how you'd expect. Drifting in general with the wheel isn't as easy. Steering with it is nice enough but the more classic control schemes are way better (as it is the case for SSBB too).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.